Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-18-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
alerosport.com

Unhappy

Hey a freind is selling his JL w6 ver1. and i wanted to know what a good price would be?

He said $200 with the box, slightly used in a zo6 (another friend)

is this a good dea? if so what kind of amp will i need latter on?

i herd audio bahn amps were really nice?
Old 11-18-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
nex

imo jl subs will pound! if you want big bass get these. And yes audiobahn amps are really good. But if you want cheap get a rockford fosgate amp to power those subs (they arent expensive and they are powerful)
Old 11-18-2003, 09:21 PM   #3
99blackalero

fi u buy that sub with a box for $200 , you will be more than satisfied. i used to have w3's and they were absolutely amazing...body massage all the time. you wont be sorry buying it, and they can handle more power than what theyre rated for
Old 11-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #4
vulgar
GL Member

vulgar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vulgar Send a message via Yahoo to vulgar
i have the w3's and they punch nicely. now a w6 with a box for 200 sounds like a great price. If i were you i would go with a jl amp as well. you may spend a lil more than ya want to but it will look really sweet and really uniform...just my opinion

the alero will be missed :o(, but I love the mazda6 :o)
vulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:26 PM   #5
alerosport.com

what size of watt amp for this JL? would i need?

for this amp get this wattege....

JL amp -----------------????

Rockford amp ---------????

or audio bahn ---------????

just fill in the ? with what size amp wont blow this and or would be sufficient..

Thx for ur help
Old 11-19-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
99blackalero

go with either JL or Rockford, anything less on this sub is just an insult. Look on thier sites for the proper amps or just call up an audio shop...you wont have to worry about a little too much power blowing these subs..i tried with an amp twice the power rating and it took it like a $2 whore
Old 11-19-2003, 10:59 AM   #7
alerosport.com

Unhappy

what kinda watt are they sapost to get? 300 ? I hear that JL underates there watts or something...
Old 11-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
99blackalero

if i remember correctly they rate the w6 at 300 watts rms, but they can handle up to 500 watts rms, check this

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/RP_Chart.html
Old 11-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
StealthAlero

A W6 for $200, i'd be worried if they sold it for that cheap, those things are hella expensive, my friend has 2 W7s and a W6 in his truck and dam, i swear the truck bounces, buildings a mile away will shake, those subs are NUTZ!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:17 PM   #10
alerosport.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...goryId=cat03086

1500W peak power @ 4 ohms, bridged
250W RMS (continuous) x 2 @ 4 ohms, bridged
125W RMS (continuous) x 4 @ 2 ohms
65W RMS (continuous) x 4 @ 4 ohms

What watt rms would this amp be? how would u / i want this setup? with this sub 12" JL W6 ver. 1 ?? what ohms would it be at? I don't know much about audio...
Old 11-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #11
99blackalero

the sub is either a 4 ohm or a dual 4 ohm = 8 ohm sub, u should find that out...if youre jsut buying one then it should be a 4 ohm...those amps u listed are no good, u need a mono amp capable of pushing around 300- 500 watts rms @ 4ohms then youre good to go. u should check out the JL 500/2, that would run it very nicely
Old 11-19-2003, 03:37 PM   #12
alerosport.com

StealthAlero naw i know its in good shape, they guy bought it for 200 from a freind i know very well, who bought a ver. 2 w6 when he sold his ver. 1

im pretty sure it will be okay.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:52 PM   #13
99blackalero

can never go wrong with JL, im re-doin my car witll all JL in the spring and getting rid of the Phoenix Gold set-up
Old 11-19-2003, 08:09 PM   #14
DansGen1Alero
GL Member

DansGen1Alero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Yahoo to DansGen1Alero Send a message via Skype™ to DansGen1Alero
In MD you can get a brand new w-6 for 250, i say u got a good deal, as far as
w-7s they are the best for 1000.00 usd, w-gs in my opinion are the best sub for the buck

I have three and I pound the poop oit of it with an alpine v-12
i have hit 140.05 dbs at a db drag

good luck

"Vinyl belongs on the side of a house not on a car"
DansGen1Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #15
alerosport.com

LOL i talked to him today, and im just gona pay him like $50 a week and then i gotta get a amp...
Old 11-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #16
99blackalero

nice
Old 11-20-2003, 12:04 PM   #17
alerosport.com

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html

something like this?
Old 11-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #18
alerosport.com

or this ? http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/2501.html

i don't see a 500/2 theres a 300/2 and 500/1 and 250/1...
Old 11-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #19
99blackalero

the 250 would under power it a bit, and the 300/2 would just give it the right amount, but thr 500/2 would sound awesome imo
Old 11-20-2003, 12:34 PM   #20
alerosport.com

Heres a review i found on this amp
JL Audio JL 250/1

Pros
consistent power between various ohms and voltages. Excellent crossover. Clean power.

Cons
awkward mounting arrangements that leave the knobs virtually inaccessible.

The Bottom Line
A lot of money for this much performance. But no other amp in this class will give you this much peace of mind.

Full Review

First off, I actually paid the $400 that this thing retails for in stores. If you ask me, that's a lot to pay for a 300 watt amplifier. I say 300 watt because that's probably at least what it produces. The first thing I noticed about this amp is that it is built like a tank. It's very heavy and sturdy. One drawback however is the the location of the knobs. According to the manual, there's only 2 recommended ways of mounting this amplifier: vertically and horizontally. Since heat dissipation for this amp is optimal when the fins are facing upwardly, a vertical mount is the best position for this amp. But, one problem you'll find with that is that a vertically mount makes the knobs almost totally inaccessible. To adjust the setting on the amp, I had to crawl halfway into my trunk and angle my neck underneath the amp. It was very awkward and very uncomfortable. If you mount the amp vertically to the back of the backseat like a lot of people do, then you definitely want rear seats that fold down if you plan on ever having to make adjustments to the settings. Otherwise, you might be better off mounting this thing horizontally or finding a spot where you can easily get to the controls even when its mounted vertically.

But anyhow. One thing I like about this amp is its controls. You have the option of choosing either a 24db or 12 slope for the LP. And another great thing is that the crossover dial has marked positions in increments of almost 10hz. This means I have a much better idea of where my subs are crossed than I would with a lot of other amps out there, some of which dont have any markings at all on the crossover dial.

Power Well, not only is it just power; it's reliable power. Because of the tightly regulated power supply, I see no less than 250 watts anywhere from 10.5-14.4 volts. Also, you get that Class D efficiency with very clean signal reproduction. I've gotten clean bass with that amp at 90hz. I've never turned the crossover up past 90hz. As with any amp with a true 4 order slope, unwanted midbass and midbass are filtered out, leaving me with tight, accurate bass.

And I truly believe that this amp can take abuse in stride. Once, after hooking it up the sub box, the neg and pos wires at the enclosure terminals began to cross. Instead of going into meltdown like my bazooka amp did, this amp just starts making a buzzing noise and lights up its ohm light. I went to the manual to see what that means, and it gave me scenarios which included what was actually happening. This amp is ready for anything.

Also, it's nice to have the luxury of knowing that you're going to get the full potential of this amp even with a 4 ohm load. That just isn't the case with most mono blocks. It leaves a lot of options as far as choosing subs goes. It doesn't matter if I have a dual 2 or 4 or even 8 ohm, I can still expect 250-300 reliable watts from this amp.

Recommended
Yes

Amount Paid (US$): 400

Sounds pretty nice... but you suggested a 500/2 and this is 250/1 whats the 2 in 500/2 stand for??

Thanks