Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-10-2004, 01:21 AM   #1
cwm33

I'm trying to hook up the LEDs in my system, I've got the whole system working great, and pounding like nuts...the only problem, is that my LEDs on my subs aren't working as they should.

the way it's wired in right now, there is a remote line running from the deck, which tells the amp to turn on, as far as I know, its 12 volts, which should be ample power to give signal to the amp, and to power the LEDs. The wire is spliced along the path to the amp, so that the 2 would run in series, one end goes into the amp, and the other end goes into the LEDs, and then grounds to the frame. The amp obviously grounds to the frame as well, but that's a given.

Is there something I did wrong in hooking that up? should the LEDs have been hooked up in series on the 12v remote line?

oh...I'm also considering hooking the LEDs up to the output wires for the subwoofers, so the LEDs take the power from the bass pulsations, and will theoretically pulse with the bass as well...my friend swears by this, and says that to just use the positive and negative from the speaker outs going to the subs. Or would it work better to ground it to the frame?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 AM   #2
javlin

That may work but you run the risk of blowing the led's that is high amplified power coming out of the amp. The best thing to do is run a positive + from the fuse block back to the led's and put a switch on the line.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
bigd6983

first javlin, the power going to the leds will only be as much as they pull.......power isnt just sent to them, they pull it.....now hooking you leds up to that switched lead is not going to pulse, thats a constant 12+ meaning there always going to be on........now as far as hooking them up to the speaker terminals i dont know, ive never put a volt meter to check the output on that, aslong as it peaks at about 12-14 volts your ok, shouldnt burn them out for a while......

now you did put resistors on leds right?? or are you running four of them in series(then you wouldnt need a resistor)..........

if you have a volt meter check the output on where your subs are out, if it jumps from like 4-6 to 12-14...........id say go for it......

all in all they make little units that you can connect your leds too that do what you want, just hafta search for it maybe on ebay or something
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
cruisinalero
GX Member

cruisinalero is an unknown quantity at this point
what i have done is gotten the music interface from streetglow
you hook up your leds into that and it runs off a single power wire and ground wire....
very simple and affective....
cruisinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
cwm33

yeah I'm going to get a music interface, I have a friend that is going to sell me one for $30 CDN. Now my issue is trying to find a power wire that's in the friggin trunk. I don't really want to splice my power wire for my amp, as its a 4 gauge wire, and well, I just don't see that working out well at all.

Thanks for the responses :thumbsup:
Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 AM   #6
bigd6983

splice it in at your amp.........