Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
joshkrdr
GX Member

joshkrdr is on a distinguished road
Rear View Mirror Shaking

Hey guys, when driving down the road with my music up, at certain db my rear view mirror shakes like crazy! Sometimes, the music volume doesn't have to be up that high for it to happen. Also, sometimes the mirror will fall from it's current position to all the way down, not off, just down. I have tightened the hex as far as i can with no success. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems and if so how did you solve it...
Thanks
Josh
joshkrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
JoshGentry
GL Member

JoshGentry is an unknown quantity at this point
Turning the music down usually helps. Lol. Mine shakes too though. But I just fix it and keep going.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
joshkrdr
GX Member

But why turn the music down lol, i like my music loud and i shouldn't have to turn it down haha. And it doesn't even have to be the music that does it, just today i went over a brick road and the mirror fell down. This just baffles me.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The ball is loose, IDK if there's a way to fix it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
contact cement... that will hold it in place for a while... just make sure it is in the right position first lol....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
joshkrdr
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0123 View Post
contact cement... that will hold it in place for a while... just make sure it is in the right position first lol....

Ha yeah then i won't be able to move it at all lol
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
get another one from a junkyard.....

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Yeah mine fell off too.... I don't plan on putting it back unless I find I need it for inspection...

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
If the mirror is connected using a ball joint (I have no idea), and you can get access to the ball itself, then all you have to do is apply a couple of layers of either superglue or clear nail polish to the ball, *WAIT FOR IT TO DRY*, and then re-attach for a tighter fit in the ball socket.
I collect Transformer toys, and build custom figures...this is the approved method for restoring ball joints that have gone bad or gotten loose over time. It works like a charm, but again, I'm not certain if it will apply to our rearview mirrors...
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
joshkrdr
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServO View Post
If the mirror is connected using a ball joint (I have no idea), and you can get access to the ball itself, then all you have to do is apply a couple of layers of either superglue or clear nail polish to the ball, *WAIT FOR IT TO DRY*, and then re-attach for a tighter fit in the ball socket.
I collect Transformer toys, and build custom figures...this is the approved method for restoring ball joints that have gone bad or gotten loose over time. It works like a charm, but again, I'm not certain if it will apply to our rearview mirrors...

Hmmm that's a good idea, thanks i may give that a try.. But that's only one of the problems with the mirror lol. The actual glass mirror vibrates, i'm not sure if i should try to secure it better to the plastic or if there is even a way to do that..
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
pimpalero2003
GLS member

pimpalero2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
I always used super glue set mirror where you want and glue the hell out of it. It will eventually come loose when it happens reglue lol
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #12
scott192
GX Member

scott192 is on a distinguished road
bass will always kill your rear veiw its part of having bass!! youll have to get used to no mirror lol i have
scott192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
Depends upon the state laws but here in WA you are required to have two rearward viewing mirrors so throwing out the windshield one is OK as long as both side ones work (they can bounce to da beat also but rarely fall off).
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
joshkrdr
GX Member

Throwing the mirror out really isn't an option for me b/c i speed ALOT and i am constantly checking my mirrors for possibilities where i can go. It doesn't seem to fall down as much anymore, but the mirror glass still vibrates so i can't even see out of it...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #15
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
There is a way of helping with the shaking and falling down but it will not stop it. The mirror its self has a little bit of space all the way around in side of the plastic, that causes more moving and falling then if it was tight. Best way to fix this is to fill the space with 3M's VHB tape. On a hot day I used 2 smallest allen wrenches to hold open a gap at the top of the mirror, cut a piece of the tape down to about 1/8" x 3/4" and used a 3rd small allen wrench to get the tape into the gap. Just don't try and pry with the allens they are there just to hold open the gap, use your fingers to open up the gap, the glass in the mirror is thick but you still don't to risk chipping the glass. Using allen wrenches is important because they have flat sides and are less likely to chip your glass.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30660
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
joshkrdr
GX Member

thanks afugy, i'll have to give that a try!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkrdr View Post
Throwing the mirror out really isn't an option for me b/c i speed ALOT and i am constantly checking my mirrors for possibilities where i can go. It doesn't seem to fall down as much anymore, but the mirror glass still vibrates so i can't even see out of it...

so.... stop being a immature driver, and slow down...
Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #18
Afugy
I poop alot

Afugy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

You should do that too. Loud music and speeding don't mix! Speeding in heaving traffic is worth less and doesn't do you any good, with you being in Cincinnati you're going to get it one day and hard.
Afugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
joshkrdr
GX Member

well for one i like speed, and am quite good at it. Whether i'm speeding or not, i still constantly check my mirrors because i like to know where everyone is at. It seems like living in cincinnati drivers just merge into other occupied lanes, which is only one reason why i need all my mirrors....
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
joshkrdr
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post

ha speeding has nothing to do with maturity.