Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-24-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
Purple&Black

Okay, here's the deal. I've read lots of topics on here and on GAGT.com and plenty of car audio websites and can't find the info I want...so here goes.

I'm looking to add some bass (obviously). I listen to rock and techno/trance, so I don't want the boomy rap bass, just nice tight thump. From what I've read, I figure 10" subs are better than 12" for that (at least generally speaking). I'm not trying to rattle the car next to me at the traffic light, but I definitely want to feel it. On some things I've seen, people say that "it really fills out the bottom end". Yeah, that's nice...can you feel it?

So then the next question is how much power? Because that ties into money, and I don't want to spend the money on subs and an amp and take away from the other mods. B)

I've been looking at some of those kits because of the price, specifically the Lightning Audio package at Best Buy, which is actually The Fast and the Furious merchandise. :rolleyes: (I would promptly remove the F&F badging--in that case, the red and silver looks pretty nice...)

I know that you get what you pay for (usually) and Lightning Audio isn't one of the best brands, but usually when I've heard people saying less than glowing things about them, those are the people that are running top-of-the-line stuff. Just like someone who mods out a Skyline would give us a sideways glance just for bothering with a car that's less than $25K new. It may suck to them, but that doesn't mean it's complete crap.

So if someone can let me know how this compares to what they're running, I'd appreciate it.

For $159, with an enclosure: dual 10" (750W peak, 150W RMS @ 4 ohms) with the amp (450W peak, 150W RMS @ 4 ohms bridged; 75W RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms; 50W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms)

and for $179 with an enclosure: dual 12" (750W peak, 150W RMS @ 4 ohms) with the amp (700W peak @ 4 ohms; 250W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms; 150W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms)

They also have these packages with the amp and just one sub. Doesn't it seem like this isn't a lot of power or even underpowered? It looks like on the 12" setup you'd have the subs wired at 2 ohms and get 250 watts of power onto two subs. Isn't that pretty weak?

Okay, this is long enough...any opinions, suggestions, etc. are welcome, but please remember that I'm not trying to spend a whole lot of money on this... Thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
wy3134

Your best bet is to go with 10"s from Polk Momo or Kenwood, these will be 600W and less than $100 per sub, I got my Polk Momo 10s 600w max each for $100 at Circuit City back when they had the red dot sale going on in december. You can find them for about $50-$80 on ebay, which is cheaper than any store, and polk is a very good sub. If you get two 10s at 600W max each, u will need a 1200watt amp or 1000watt amp depending on the setup of the amp (1200watt mono class D, or 1000watt 2channel) i would recommend either the sony xplode amp at 1200watts because they make good amps despite making subpar subs. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I plan on getting either a sony x-plod 1200watt class D mono amp for about $100, and then building a custom enclosure to fit in my trunk, so i dont have a box rattling around and bouncing around in my trunk as I do right now. (I have a probend competition bandpass dual enclosure box with two MTX punch 10"s rated at 400w max each running off a 800watt 2 channel L.A. Sound Tribal amp which pounds really hard, I would be willing to sell for $180 plus shipping, hell of a deal considering the box alone is $150) Drop me an email at wy3134@aol.com if you need any help.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
wy3134

Actually seeing that your from basically the chicago area, I would be willing to meet you half way (I live in indianapolis) and save on the shipping charges which would run close to $80 or $90 because of the weight. I will even help install if you have to run some wires.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:22 AM   #4
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
your packaging thing you listed, you refering to dual(2)lighting audio, or the sub company dual?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #5
Purple&Black

Quote:
Originally posted by ImSoBored@Jan 25 2004, 08:22 AM
your packaging thing you listed, you refering to dual(2)lighting audio, or the sub company dual?
Company Lightning Audio, two subs in each...sorry.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
velocity

Actually the size of the sub isn't as important as the construction of the enclosure. If you want tight, clear bass....make sure you get a SEALED custom enclosure made for your subs. I can't stress this enough...do not get a ported box...
Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Not true. Totally depends on the sub. Different subs have different tolerances for enclosure sizes/tyeps. For instance, solobarics HAVE to be in sealed boxes. But alpines really like ported boxes, and you still get fairly distinct bass out of them.

Sealed boxes will sound tigher though, but you need to spend a bit more money to get as loud with em. Just go around and listen to alot of different stuff, and pick whatever you like for the price.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #8
99blackalero

IMO, 2 tens would sound better for tighter response if thats what you';re looking for
Old 01-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
leroBob
GLS member

leroBob is an unknown quantity at this point
when i had my conv. i couldn't hear jack w/ the top down so i couldnt tell you what sounded better i ran the same subs first set up was Two 12 JLw3 in a buddy's custom made sealed box, then he got his B) license back so he wanted his box back then i ran the same subs in a Q tastic box, couldn't notice much of a difference like i said though that's probably due to the top. I miss my subs though still yet to by a new HU so i'm debating on whether too sell my equipment or by a new HU.
leroBob is offline   Reply With Quote