Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Axle nut updated

I know the n-bodys have alot of wheel bearing issues. There is a new "improved" axle nut to help imply a more consitant load on the bearing to prolong the life.

Here is the TSB:
File In Section: 04 - Driveline Axle

Bulletin No.: 03-04-18-001

Date: February, 2003

INFORMATION

Subject:
Availability of New Front Drive Axle Nut

Models:
1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero
1999-2003 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin is to inform dealers that a new and improved front drive axle nut has been released for service of the above listed vehicles.

Use the new nut, P/N 10289657, whenever the front drive axle nut is removed. This new nut is a torque prevailing nut and is silver in color. The old nut is black in color and has a sheet metal cage around the nut (shown below). Using the new nut will provide a more consistent clamp load on the wheel bearing and should help prolong the bearing life.

Notice: Use the correct tightening specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Torque

Tighten the new nut to 235 N.m (173 lb ft).
The old nut torque was 385 N.m (284 lb ft).

Important: Some front wheel hub kits may have the old style nut included in the kit. Discard the old nut and use the new nut, P/N 10289657.

New Style Nut

The nut shown is a torque prevailing nut and is silver colored.

Old Style Nut

The old style nut shown is black and has a sheet metal cage around the nut.

Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Disclaimer

Last edited by bkathsalero : 10-17-2009 at 02:24 PM.
bkathsalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Invalid Attachment specified
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Ok, I just replaced mine ove rthe summer and got new axle nut with the bearings (separately but at the same time, not combined.) One was the old style and the other was the new style. We torqued them both the same (forget the amount but will get torque wrench soon to test when I get a chance). Could this be what is creating a noise whenever I turn right? My left front wheel makes a grinding noise (shhh...shhh...shhh...shhh) and varies in speed depending on the speed I am going.

So is this the problem (not torqued right) or is the bearing just defective off the line?

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
arsenal
V.I.P. Member

arsenal is on a distinguished road
With the old nuts you could start threading them by hand till snug. While the new style nuts are a locking style which can't be snugged up by hand with ease. Lock nuts makes the torque specs lower.

Over tightening on the bearings will make them wear out much faster because of the compressive forces on bearings themselves.

I'm really shocked that GM engineers didn't put more thought into the design of this considering bearings are involved.
111 lbs-ft is a big jump. Great improvement but extremely late.
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Kilroy
GL Member

Kilroy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info on the axle nut. I have to replace my bearings and this will help alot.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote