Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
ttodd1292
GX Member

ttodd1292 is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket Radio Question

Hello, new to the forum. My girlfriend has a 2003 Alero that I am going to put an aftermarket stereo (head unit and speakers). I understand that the Alero's have chimes and other features integrated in the factory head unit. The harness I ordered along with my other components is this one:

Not only was it $60 but it also seems to have a bad reputation. Also, I do not care to have chimes or RAP. So I look on this forum and I found a very detailed write up on how to handle these problems here:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182

My girlfriends car has a radio like this

I also checked the trunk for any amp on the sides under the carpet but could not find anything. I also confirmed that the chimes are coming out of the drivers side front speaker.

Now I am going to ship back that expensive harness and just wire it without chimes or RAP.

My questions are:

Will this harness work for what I am trying to accomplish:

Metra 70-2001

I will use this harness and wire an ignition hot wire to the new head unit (from a cigarette lighter or ignition assembly that is visible when factory HU is removed) Also, I will wire any connections from the harness such as speakers, constant hot, ground, headlight turn on, etc.

Is the wire I need a brown wire from the key igniton assembly mentioned above?

Will removing RAP mess with any accessories in my car such as cigarette lighter socket? (I am aware that it controls the door shut of radio/cd eject I do not need those features.)

Will I have any problem installed plain speakers into the door/back slots? (no amp found in trunk)

Thanks!!

-ttodd
ttodd1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_751/Fac...s.html?tp=3486 I have a harness that I was going to use for my 2001 in my closet bnib I'll have to look and see what it is. I'll post tonight. Maybe I can let you have it for shipping and enough for a beer or 2.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
You need to use an ignition source or fuse that is only hot when the key is in the acc or on position... if you use a cigarette wire they have constant power and will not shut off the radio when you turn off the car...

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
ttodd1292
GX Member

Oh I was afraid of that. What wire do I need to tap into? I read there was one inside the key/ignition assembly. A brown wire?

Or just tap into a fuse, like the windshield wiper fuse?

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
I can't remember the colour of wire I tapped into but best bet would be to get a thing called an "add a fuse", it let's you divide a fuse in your fuse box to have two fuses.... pick one with the same size fuse (probably a 10) to split off... either wiper, signals, sunroof.... again pick a fuse that only works with the key in the acc or on position!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
ttodd1292
GX Member

Thanks! I'll probably get something like this:

Will removing RAP mess with any accessories in my car such as cigarette lighter socket? (I am aware that it controls the door shut of radio/cd eject I do not need those features.)

Will I have any problem installed plain speakers into the door/back slots? I dont have a factory amp
Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GK...&robot_redir=1

This was what I'm suggesting... you need the mini fuse type as that's what is in our car's....

As for other accessories you should be fine.... just lose the chimes for you leaving the lights on, the keys in the ignition etc....

Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
ttodd1292
GX Member

Ok thanks so much! Does anyone know if I will have any problem installing plain speakers into the door/back slots? I dont have a factory amp

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Only issue you may have will be clearance as far as the package tray is concerned. I had SoundStreams sst6.9's and they fit fine but my Infinity Kappa 693.11i's required about an inch of butterfly all the way around to get em to fit.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
Good choice, I bought one of those chime retaining kits and the damm thing doesnt even chime! It had one job
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
negolien
GL Member

The kit I have is the http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...r.html?tp=3486 let me know if you need it.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1292 View Post
Oh I was afraid of that. What wire do I need to tap into? I read there was one inside the key/ignition assembly. A brown wire?

Or just tap into a fuse, like the windshield wiper fuse?

Thanks so much for the help!

Red wire on the radio goes to a thick brown wire near the key ignition. You can see it once the radio is pulled out, it's a wiring harness tucked away near the key cylinder. IIRC, the brown wire is the thickest.

Also, you want a Metra 70-1858 or a Scosche GM03B if you don't want the chime module. It's the standard GM harness that was used from the late 80's to 2005. It usually comes with the antenna adapter as well... at least it does at Walmart (scosche).
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
What's wrong with having chimes or rap? I retained both and they work as they should
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
negolien
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Alerosil View Post
What's wrong with having chimes or rap? I retained both and they work as they should

I concur sir saved me from leaving my keys in my car or the lights on many times. Here in Commiefornia you can't run you wipers without lights on so I have to manually turn em on sometimes.