Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 08-12-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
HOW TO: Install a Short Shifter

Had a few people asking and I've had one sitting here for a few months so I spent a few hours this weekend figuring out how to get this thing in.
Difficulty: Moderate/Hard
Tools needed: Flat head screw drivers- both relatively long, at least one with a smaller head the other larger for spots where you'll need more umf.
Pliers- both channel locks and needle nose.
WD-40 will make some things got a bit smother

There is little need to mark your cables, the clips are easy to adjust to fit your liking and with the new shifter they wont line up anyway. The bolts that hold the entire black plastic retainer are not worth your time, they dont allow you anymore ease and have retainers that are pressure fit.
I apologize for the lack of more pictures but they are hard to take when you are using both hands.
1st: Pop the clips that hold the linkage (2st pic). You may also pip the clip further up that hold the cable to the mount. squeeze the clips and it comes right out.
2nd: Remove the shifter retainer clip (3nd pic)
3rd: Pop the clip that holds the whole thing there, there is a gasket in there as well, just be sure to keep track of it. (4th pic) Ignore the wrench!
4th: Use one of your screw drivers to hold the white linkage attachment pried out and pull that side out of the shifter out. This requires a lot of force! I didn't break anything, and there is probably a better way but, I couldnt figure it out if there is.
5th: Hold the bottom linkage attachment with your channel locks and pop it off the factory shifter. Installation onto the new one is same.
6th: lifter your factory shifter out (5th pic)
--The factory knob is a press fit, you will have to remove it to get the black clip off. There is no need to unclip the black piece on the shaft. There is a spring there that holds down the reverse lockout. I highly recommended a more spherical knob like the factory one- I hate the one in my pictures.
7th: Make sure you get the grey piece, gasket, and clip on the new shifter. Do not put the fitting for the other 'white' link on the new shifter yet.
8th: Installing the new shifter is basically reversed of extracting your old one. Start by setting in place, fit the white link in place first, its a pita!
9th: Slide the bottom link clip back onto the cable, use your channel locks to hold it while you pop the new shifter into it.
10th: Use your channel locks to pop the clip into the 'white' retainer, start by using your screwdriver to hold it out so it will have some room to expand around the ball on the shifter as it clips into place. Set the clip in place, and hold it with your channel locks, push the shifter into the clip. You will know when both the bottom retainer and that one snap into place.
11th: Sit back see what feels right. I got back in and adjusted this a few more times after I drove it a bit. Clip the retainers back onto the cables, make sure they clip all the way down!
Reassemble and enjoy! The largest difference I notices is 1st and 3rd gear. Overall its a nice improvement. I also used a zip tie to hold the reverse lockout up, and left the spring out when putting on my cheap new knob, thus far I have not accidentally shifted into reverse and will probably keep that when something nicer goes on.
Hope this helps a bit, its a pain the whole way through but fruitful rewards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0809151834.jpg (35.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151835.jpg (38.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151836.jpg (35.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151844.jpg (42.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 0809151904.jpg (29.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150140.jpg (40.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150112.jpg (40.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 0812150112a.jpg (41.9 KB, 69 views)
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write up!

I really like your new knob as well.... looks awesome!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
Nice write up.. however how do you get the lower clip on? I broke the white linkage trying to get it back on, I hope Gorilla glue will work on it

Edit to add: So here's a few tips to make disassembly/reassembly MUCH easier.

Tip 1: Take out the pivot on the white linkage, it comes out pretty easy and allows for quite a bit of movement. Clean off the grease and or dirt on the right side of the white linkage and you'll see the the pivot (or axle or whatever you wanna call it) is just clipped in. The side of the console does have enough flex to allow this to slide out. Putting it back in can be a little tricky to line up, but is pretty easy still. Edit: here's pic of pivot

Tip 2: When reassembling, you can actually fit the bottom clip on the shift stalk before inserting it in the holder it will fit through the hole in the bottom, but it is really snug. This way is MUCH easier than trying to snap the clip back on with the stalk in place.

I really hope Gorilla Glue holds the white linkage together, it should the stuff is unbelievable.

edit 2: Well Gorilla Glue didn't hold..

edit 3: Thank the powers that be for zip-ties! Little bit of redneck ingenuity, and strong loathing of walking to work tomorrow, I've got it working for now! And, I now can do this job in about an hour or less! By the way, the stock shift knob will thread onto the shift stalk (I actually like the stock knob) Gonna have to hit the junkyards this week see if I can find a new part.

Last edited by Bahlzeron : 01-20-2016 at 01:35 AM. Reason: add a few tips, add picture
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Update to my last post.

So I ended up using a part from a Cobalt, it is however slightly longer, both from the pivot to the shift stalk (only a couple millimeters) and from the pivot down to the cable clip/adjuster (maybe just over 1/4 inch, I didnt measure). But it will work with a little modification...

1. The clip/adjuster on a cobalt is too long, you need to use your original (I didn't test it so maybe it will work fine). To take them off you need a small screw driver and pry it up (make sure you pry at the collar clip ring) , it's not hard to get off. To put back on lube both the clip/adjuster, and the post it attaches to. Set on a firm surface (I used my center console/armrest) and press with the handle of a screwdriver or something flat, it's a little difficult but not really hard to do (I had a hell of a time til I lubed with a bit of oil, then it clipped on rather easily).

2. Because the white thing is a little longer from pivot to the shift stalk, you will need to modify the the shifter mount, just use some pliers to break the plastic at the back where the the part rubs at.
Edit: Here's pic of modification needed.

As an unintended bonus... my left/right throw is a little shorter now

And here's a couple pics after installation and all buttoned back up, knob is a $20 thing from Advanced Auto (I think AutoZone carries them too)

Last edited by Bahlzeron : 01-20-2016 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
This should be stickied. Lot of good info here. That cobalt shifter looks good in there to.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Bahlzeron
GX Member

I only used the white linkage piece from a Cobalt to replace my original that broke. A Cobalt shifter might fit though.

Edit to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
This should be stickied. Lot of good info here.

I second that, plus my misadventure should help others avoid doing the same (hence why I posted it).

Last edited by Bahlzeron : 01-20-2016 at 11:34 PM.