Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #21
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdyman View Post
ummm my grand prix gxp has that same trans and it has been replaced 3 times, i dont drag race i dont beat on it, oh ya sleeper look is better

you got some bad luck then. I beat the SHIT out of this one, and it's fine.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
ccsmith87
GX Member

ccsmith87 is on a distinguished road
Looks... like an Alero. =P

Unless you still need your hood jacked up in the back, fix it. Looks kind of bad, like you've been in an accident or something.

Or it could be considered a rat rod. =)
ccsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
It's cool, you haven't been following along with the build.

Let me introduce you to what's under the hood that causes it to have to be raised like that. The upper intake manifold custom neck and TB flange had to be raised to clear the turbo, and I'll work on reworking it later:

Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
"Awesome" is the only word I can think of on that, great job!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
ccsmith87
GX Member

Yeah, I'm quite new here so I've kind of missed the whole build. Just the way you were talking/the way I read it, it sounded like you had changed something and the hood no longer needed to be raised. Which brought me to my comment about fixing the hood. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the raised hood in the name of more power. =D

It is an awesome build, definately not saying your car isn't awesome and that it's just another Alero, 'cause it's definately not. =D
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #26
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

It's all good. It's just another Alero. It's the same as anyone elses if I put that stuff on their engines LOL

Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #27
ccsmith87
GX Member

Haha, true true. But I'm glad you chose Turbo over Supercharger though. Not sure why but I've always just liked Turbos better.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #28
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith87 View Post
Haha, true true. But I'm glad you chose Turbo over Supercharger though. Not sure why but I've always just liked Turbos better.

Unfortunately it's not that easy to just decide which one you like better and go for it. My car is my DD and I can't risk/spend all that money building up a motor to handle the power, therefore I have it supercharged.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith87 View Post

also.. bj had the 3400... MUCH harder to do a supercharger. AND most of the parts that are avail, are crap. basically, if you have the v6, your getting a turbo.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #30
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
My car is my DD and I can't risk/spend all that money building up a motor to handle the power, therefore I have it supercharged.

I suppose it might surprise you to learn that I'm on a severe budget as well, and that my car is also my DD?

Falls back on my favorite old saying, where there's a will, there's a way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
also.. bj had the 3400... MUCH harder to do a supercharger. AND most of the parts that are avail, are crap. basically, if you have the v6, your getting a turbo.
HAVE a 3400. I just used the 3500 heads/intakes. The 3400 S/C kit would still bolt up to it. I chose the turbo for efficiency and flexibility. I can change boost levels at the turn of a screw, and have no parasitic drag on the engine from an extra pulley driven power hog.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #31
Chris2000
GL Member

I see, well with scott's help my car got sc'ed and tuned for 950 total . I pay for college so i'm guessing my definition of budget is a little bit tighter than yours.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
I suppose it might surprise you to learn that I'm on a severe budget as well, and that my car is also my DD?

Falls back on my favorite old saying, where there's a will, there's a way.

HAVE a 3400. I just used the 3500 heads/intakes. The 3400 S/C kit would still bolt up to it. I chose the turbo for efficiency and flexibility. I can change boost levels at the turn of a screw, and have no parasitic drag on the engine from an extra pulley driven power hog.

yes yes, still technically a 3400... but lets be honest... it won't take much longer for the addiction to set in, before the bottom end is aftermarket too
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #33
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
I see, well with scott's help my car got sc'ed and tuned for 950 total . I pay for college so i'm guessing my definition of budget is a little bit tighter than yours.
oh you poor thing. it must be rough for you having to take care of a family of five with two teenagers on a military salary. oh wait, that's me, not you. Yeah, my definition of a budget must be severely deluded, what was I thinking? Lets not even consider that I've been saving little by little and been building on this thing slowly over the last 6 years.

I did the turbo initially for $1,200 with buying the tuner. I guess that puts us at about the same initial cost minus tuner?

Quote:
yes yes, still technically a 3400... but lets be honest... it won't take much longer for the addiction to set in, before the bottom end is aftermarket too
so if I drop in a whole forged bottom end, it's no longer 3400? LOL .... you so funny

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #34
Chris2000
GL Member

No need to get defensive u took it the wrong way man
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #35
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

nah, I don't take it as anything really. Just making a point that you can't assume your budget is any worse than anyone else. Yes, it's rough going to college and trying to mod a car at the same time. Props for that. I'm going to continue to mod though, little by little until I either get tired of it or reach as far as I can get.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #36
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
so if I drop in a whole forged bottom end, it's no longer 3400? LOL .... you so funny

no, i mean the top end is 3500 (no longer 3400) and once the bottom end is purely aftermarket, it officially becomes a frankenstein engine. Sure its still the 3400 platform, but its more, everything else, than it is original equipment.

like richie's old alero.... it was more aftermarket than it was GM.

Yours will still be considered 3400, but in actuality there isn't much 3400 left to it.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #37
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
basically, if you have the v6, your getting a turbo.

i disagree!!!