Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Cruise control on toggle switches

the steering wheel I got never made it into the mustang so on the alero it will go. Has anyone screwed with enabling the cruise to work with a toggle/push button switch set up? I have schematics and can get the resistance values from the switches when I pull them out but im worried if i get something wrong im going to end up with lighting issues the cruise control module also deals with. imput anyone?
edit- I just realized this is not in the right section. my apologizes, was on the road for 12 hours getting the car and this was bugging me the whole way.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
And when do we get to see your new ride
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
And when do we get to see your new ride

its a secret until I get few things done sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 04-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Wait, pause...

You finally found a 5 speed Eco?

Don't wreck it now... those things are hard to find! I still want one for myself in Grand Am or Alero form... Damn I miss my car sometimes.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Not that hard if you travel... my current favorite is in an atlanta suburb and it is actually super rare...power windows, locks, and a sunroof
On topic of this thread, while not completely sure, why...I dont think there are many aftermarket steering wheels that would look good and i really dont see the switches looking good

EDIT: Car in georgia
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/4407486087.html

Last edited by 03glgold : 04-24-2014 at 10:22 AM.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
Not that hard if you travel... my current favorite is in an atlanta suburb and it is actually super rare...power windows, locks, and a sunroof
On topic of this thread, while not completely sure, why...I dont think there are many aftermarket steering wheels that would look good and i really dont see the switches looking good

EDIT: Car in georgia
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/4407486087.html

I already have it so its going on regardless. Im thinking about seeing how I can mount the factor set up on it, shouldnt be to bad. And yes, I have a 5sp eco coupe finally. I have the original sales papers for it as well, got the disk brakes on the rear already and trac control. Needless to say, im loving it!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
tbh, the push button think for activating the crusie control isnt that hard in it self. As the OE switch cluster works the same.

the other issue is the setting, up / down and resume action. But well, I'd have to have a look at the schematics.

EDIT: took a quick peek, and yes. Take your source voltage from the BCM, and just use switches to power what u want. No big deal, especially as ur already working with an Alero BCM and PCM (hence correct wire colors and locations)
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT

Last edited by falloutboy : 04-27-2014 at 10:27 AM.
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I ended up just mounting the factory switched onto the aftermarket hub. Running the wires back up the column and doing all that was going to much for my back right now so it works as is.
FOR ANYONE COMING ACROSS THIS- its not worth the hassle! Although the wheel alone really spices up the interior the amount of work required is..just awful. Once you get the specialty bits and get the air bag out even with a steering wheel puller the sob would not come off and I had to resort to hacking to pieces. Then came mounting the hub for the new wheel, had to do all kinds of drilling and dremeling to get it on there and the cruise wires ran through it. Once I got the switches mounted, they work and are in there solid but just dont quite fit the curvature. Its not bad by any means and since I already had the stuff I'm glad I went ahead and did it. I would defiantly call the procedure 'advanced' its a 7-8 hour job to get it buttoned up and looking alright. oh, and you loose your horn. I'm sure it can be wired up to work but I didnt really care so I didnt bother screwing with it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

So you can see what I'm talking about, the one pic is just the hub and base of the quick release. Didnt turn out to bad I like to think.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Wtf.... now I want an aftermarket steering wheel. Where is the hub from and sht??? Text me details!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Wtf.... now I want an aftermarket steering wheel. Where is the hub from and sht??? Text me details!

will do. Beat ya to it though!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
And I beat you to everything else
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
don't crash
- airbag engineer
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
don't crash
- airbag engineer

I've been trying my best to watch out for those telephone poles. but ya, no airbag and no horn because of the quick release, oh well..
Old 04-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #15
sleepyalero
GLS member

Yeah id miss my horn. Lol im pretty content with my stock wheel though.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
just get an air tank and hook up a train horn... beats the stock horn any day!!

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
sleepyalero
GLS member

Tru. But more weight
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Tru. But more weight

exactly. this thing about as light as it gets for alero's. coupe, manual windows, manual trans... The gear ratio helps a ton to but its defiantly quicker on its feet then my old one.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #19
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Well, just get a simple pos/neg button and wire that up to your horn. Put it somewhere close to the touch.

On a more serious note, is your state an inspection state? Because you can fail inspection if they see that steering wheel.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Well, just get a simple pos/neg button and wire that up to your horn. Put it somewhere close to the touch.

On a more serious note, is your state an inspection state? Because you can fail inspection if they see that steering wheel.

fortunately it is not.