Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
New system for "new" car

This is my system so far, getting an amp for my new speakers soon and relocating amp wire to battery eventually. You guys know what you're doing so im open to ideas/constructive criticism so lemme hear your opinion. For instance where should i put my speaker amp?

Same car, different lighting..

Bass volume control right where my hand rests.

JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
first things first...fix that rust spot, other than that nice car and setup seems to be going decent
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
first things first...fix that rust spot, other than that nice car and setup seems to be going decent

Dude good effing eyes u got there lol
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
How many watts does your amp put out?

I see you have an 8ga wire. You shouldn't worry about relocation until you get to the big boys aka the 0's and the 4's.

I must ask now though, how many watts will you be making total? It will be easier to do a distribution block than running 2 parallel wires.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
JonStoltz
GX Member

800 rms sub and then eventually a 50 rms x 4 speaker. Whats a block do?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Splits a big wire into 2 smaller wires so you don't have a clutter of wiring all over your car.

I recommend you upgrade your alternator and do 100 watt speakers to compliment your subs.

400 watt speakers with an 800 watt sub will sound good. I personally would do 2 Kicker Comp V's but if you build a good box, a good 800 watt sub like the Kicker Comp R's will do nice.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Splits a big wire into 2 smaller wires so you don't have a clutter of wiring all over your car.

I recommend you upgrade your alternator and do 100 watt speakers to compliment your subs.

400 watt speakers with an 800 watt sub will sound good. I personally would do 2 Kicker Comp V's but if you build a good box, a good 800 watt sub like the Kicker Comp R's will do nice.

I'd definitely do all that if i didnt have so many diapers and wipes and rent to buy lol for now i must compromise..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
I'd put the amp on the back of the box. We need to know what your running rms wise from your amp.Really you should be fine for now. If your going to run more than one amp yes run a distribution block. You should be fine for the moment with alt and wires if you can't afford it.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
I'd definitely do all that if i didnt have so many diapers and wipes and rent to buy lol for now i must compromise..

You can save money on wiring by buying welding wire instead of those name brand audio wires. It's an idea that's been around for a while, some recommend it, some don't. If you do go this route, make sure that the cable is flexible and the copper is stranded.

As far as speakers go, you can get some 100 watt Kickers for $70. My point is just save up a bit at a time. Doesn't have to be all at once.

Before we talk any further, what are the products you are considering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I'd put the amp on the back of the box. We need to know what your running rms wise from your amp.Really you should be fine for now. If your going to run more than one amp yes run a distribution block. You should be fine for the moment with alt and wires if you can't afford it.

HE stated that later on he wants to amp the midranges/ door and shelf speakers. The distribution block would come then. Right now, all he needs to do is save up. The cable is fine, the sub is fine, the amp is fine. I don't see any piss poor installations in his car. I do see a Walmart head unit, but that's beside the point.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
JonStoltz
GX Member

Haha yea that was when i first bought the car and JUST HAD to have a head unit right then and there. If id learn patience id be a lot better off. Id rather put the speaker amp under the seat or something. Just not looking forward to all that wiring, with how anal i am itd probably take me all day to run to the trunk
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Nas Escobar
GLS member

If it works, it works. I'm not gonna knock your hustle. I will however tell you that with patience and searching, you can find a better head unit for cheap.

If your head isn't 6 preouts, you may have to swap it, or get the feed from your speaker connections.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
You can save money on wiring by buying welding wire instead of those name brand audio wires. It's an idea that's been around for a while, some recommend it, some don't. If you do go this route, make sure that the cable is flexible and the copper is stranded.

As far as speakers go, you can get some 100 watt Kickers for $70. My point is just save up a bit at a time. Doesn't have to be all at once.

Before we talk any further, what are the products you are considering?

HE stated that later on he wants to amp the midranges/ door and shelf speakers. The distribution block would come then. Right now, all he needs to do is save up. The cable is fine, the sub is fine, the amp is fine. I don't see any piss poor installations in his car. I do see a Walmart head unit, but that's beside the point.

The best single din imo after searching Head units for a long time was the JVC arsenal I think they ran around $170. It comes with everything at the cheapest price. My Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS was the cheapest DD that came with everything but Nav . I'd probably ask s8track16 your audio questions he's the one I go to for audio questions and he's super helpful. I think the two of us are the ones that actually have systems and are currently active on the board atm. Oh and one other bit of advice and I' am going to sound like a douche so forgive me but....

Please for the love of god stop putting screws where they don't belong I think your the third gold package I have seen here besides myself and one other guy if that's what that is. That's a nice ride try and avoid zip tying things, putting screws into your center console if that's what you did there with the bass knob and other areas that they weren't originally meant to go . Don't put any huge ghetto side skirts on it lol...

I included a picture of my amp and wiring it's easy to make it neat and go under the carpeting and down the sides. Just remember to do the power and RCA's down different sides.

Last edited by negolien : 05-08-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: amp pictures
Old 05-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
JonStoltz
GX Member

So am i to avoid zip tying or screwing? Lol im a fan of the amp resting on the back seat tho while in down position unless i need to occupy that seat then just flip it up. Doesnt allow for fancy wire stealth since i need that slack for the seat to move but im cool with that. PLUS i heard years ago how its not healthy for the amp to be drilled right on the enclosure with all that vibration, whether its true or not idk but i dig this more anyway. And your right i should avoid visible screw holes but u cant see them currently and come time to sell the buyer can go suck it lol. Y do i need to run my cables down different sides? And nas im definitely gonna upgrade that head unit, do i need 6 preouts for the tweeters? You, Nas and S8track16 are all my go-to guys for audio. Learning a lot from u fellas.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
negolien
GL Member

Might rethink the amp in the open depending on where you live. I'd also suggest not playing your tunes loud until you're outside your parking lot or neighborhood. What kind of alarm do you have? I have the Clifford Matrix 2 way pager alarm they are fairly cheap at like $125 + install which is more than the alarm :<(..Frys sells em..they do good installs btw if ones near you. Price isn't that bad either.

The different sides avoids the dreaded buzz or whine you sometimes here. Never had issues with the amp getting pounded but it probably does take a huge beating you'll see that set up a lot. if you look at S8's competition rig his are mounted on the box also.
I don't do anything ghetto or ugly to my car. Less to do with the seller and more to do with me being anal about keeping my car nice. some link below...

http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/Negolien/story/29019

http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/Negolien/story/28607

http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/Negolien/story/28851

Last edited by negolien : 05-08-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
put that amp gain switch somewhere else! your only going to sit on it and break it off or move the seat and hit it... over and over and over.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
JonStoltz
GX Member

Its alright bud. seats not goin anywhere, im a pretty skinny lad so not gonna sit on it, havent had a problem yet i love it there! Couldnt be happier with my decisions, except maybe the head unit choice. negolien my biggest threat is a grizzly bear or deer eating my trash and i hear theyre not real into audio upgrades
Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #17
negolien
GL Member

LOL AAAraghhh must be nice I live in a freaking ghetto. Thank god for 2 way pager alarms and CCW's
Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
negolien
GL Member

I almost forgot.. Where are you located? In case I need parts /giggle

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #19
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
put that amp gain switch somewhere else! your only going to sit on it and break it off or move the seat and hit it... over and over and over.

I was going to put the bass knob in the pocket that the head unit left, right under the regular volume control but this worked out better, for me at least.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #20
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I almost forgot.. Where are you located? In case I need parts /giggle

Wow thought that was mine for a sec u werent kidding. Hamburg, pa. what sub do u have again?