Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
Amp selection. Should I?

This ones on sale. Saw great reviews and really bad reviews. What do you think?

JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
JonStoltz
GX Member

If not that one then maybe one of these?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Don't buy things from Crutchfield. They tend to be expensive... although the stuff itself is good. Only go there if they have a special or a deal. Sonicelectronix is usually cheaper.

That Alpine is too expensive. I've thought about buying it before. You can get a Pioneer that puts out double that wattage for the same price.

As far as Hifonics, they're usually not CEA-2006 compliant. The one you posted is actually compliant, so I would give it a shot. I had an old Crunch amp (before CEA-2006) and it would push these old school Audiobahns with ease. Crunch and Hifonics are made by the same people, so I would trust em, but be wary of the ratings. I bought a newer crunch amp thinking it would be good but the rating was off. I was also a sound newbie still at the time, so I mistook 200watts total for RMS. I didn't realize what happened until after the fact.

Hifonics is a better line than crunch though, so I would keep it as a back up, depending on what you want to use for speakers.

Considering your budget is $150, here's what I would buy in that price range. Mind you, I listen to rap music and require loud speakers due to my car being a convertible.

Jensen Power 760.4 - $70
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...wer-760.4.html

Jensen is not a bad brand, but it is an entry level brand, similar to your dual head unit. 75 watts x 4 for $70 is not a bad price at all. It would also handle most run of the mill speakers that are usually sold in between $50 and $80 bucks.

Sony XM-ZR704. - $120
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-XM-ZR704.html

This amp is 70x4 @4 ohms. Nothing too fancy, but better than 50 watts x 4 and those 70 watts are enough to power most mid level speakers, which usually are between 60 watts and 80 watts. Only the higher end speakers are actually 100 watts and over.

Pioneer GM-D8604 (no relation to General Motors). $150
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-GM-D...e27b &vxp=mtr

I'm as frugal as they come, so I will always look for the best price no matter what. Here's the sonic link so you can see the specs.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-GM-D8604.html

Not a bad amp overall, it's 100 watts x 4 and is basically the same price as the Alpine and Infinity, but with more power. I personally don't like Pioneer, but it's very popular and many folks have good things to say about em.

With all of this said, if I was you, this is what I would do...

Pioneer Amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-GM-D...e27b &vxp=mtr

Alpine 6.5 - $72 for component, $60 for normal 2way. I would convert the front doors to 6.5 from 4x6. It's a relatively simple procedure, I wish I had pictures, but you need to drill holes in the door to mount it. I would also get component speakers to have a tweeter in the sail panel. 80 watts rms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-SPS-6...item4d1cd1983b

Info.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SPS-610C.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-SPS-6...item1e87829448

Info.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-SPS-610.html

Alpine 6x9 (for the rear shelf) - $50 It's an 80 watt speaker, drops in the rear shelf. The stock speaker is fully clipped on, you don't have to screw anything in BUT you have to take off the side of the seats and the C pillar trim to get to the rear shelf. It helps if you take out the bottom seat cushion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-SPE-6...item461e19fd7d

Info.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SPE-6090.html

Should you want to stick to 4x6... Sonic is the cheapest.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...64-KSC464.html
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
JonStoltz
GX Member

Wow. A lot to take in but solid advice, I appreciate it. And the reason i was looking at the infinity is cause of the huge price drop crutchfield is having on it but ill definitely look at the ones you recommended for an even more significant price savings. This is all so helpful and ima research all this when im not at work and have a larger screen in front of me. Love the front 6.5" conversion idea too gonna do that if its as easy as u say. Im thinkin no stronger than 70-80 watt speakers all around, after the converson of course.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #5
JonStoltz
GX Member

Now u got me wanting to spend more money I shouldnt spend lol damn you! On top of all this im tining my baby mamas mazda3 for her birthday. Now I just have to sell my MTX 4x6s and get 6.5s
Old 05-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I understand. I have nothing against Infinity, I do feel they're a bit overhyped but what else is new? I honestly felt that you could get a better deal for $150. In fact, if you didn't want to use the alpines and went with something with less RMS, you could probably get by with the Jensen, but I think with 80 watts, you would be happy. I'm doing 100 watts in my Cutlass so that's that.

There's a kit they make for Cavaliers to convert them to 6.5. You can use them on the Alero too. That's what I did to my Grand Am and I did have to use a ring around the speaker to prevent it from cracking, but it worked and it sounded nice. Sadly, I lost the pictures, but here's more or less how it looks.

I didn't drill holes in the door, and instead used a bolt for the window channel, but I recommend drilling it in with small screws, how it looks in the pic. I did my Cutlass differently (no door speakers either). I used a Mopar 6.75 adapter and used that as my mounting bracket.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
JonStoltz
GX Member

Very cool. Nice project when i get the chance, something different than your typical upgrade swap
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I got a solid 2" mounts and cut it at an angle to accommodate a 6.5 in the front. ^that looks a little more clean though.
For speakers I went alpine, never gone back. amps I use a kenwood performance series and had alpine before that. I've tried other brands, sure pretty well all of them get the job done just depends on how well you want it done and what your willing to spend.
found a picture of my old setup for more reference for you. get rid of those 4x6's. thats a terrible terrible size no matter what.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Could you refresh the topic as to what you're trying to power with these? I agree with one thing Nas has said over the past months. Really it's a good idea to pick your speakers and concept before you decide on anything. If I would have thought a little more I probably would have gone 2 ohms all the way around. Now I have an oddball set that's 4ohms lol.

Do what I do and some others. We use Crutchfield for ideas and to see what's new and then go to Ebay and amazon to get the lowest prices. I was hesitant about Ebay but the last 6 months I have purchased a lot of different items there with no issues and always far cheaper than the Crutch except on some deals they have like open boxes and refurbs. I got my Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS for $330 open box when they were going for over $400. I also got the new Kenwood Excelon 4 channel for $135 instead of what $299? Be a scrooge and take your time it will pay off.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Negolien, actually your oddball set is the 2ohm speakers. 4ohm is way common. I think only Infinity and Rockford Fosgate make 2 ohm. It's rare to see speakers in that ohm range, but common to see subwoofers.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
All 3 sets of my other speakers are 2 ohms MTX and the 2 sets of Infinity's the Polk's are the 4 ohms. They were on sale so I just grabbed em up they had 2 ohm versions that were plates. I see what you're saying though.

Last edited by negolien : 05-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
negolien
GL Member

Just a heads up while browsing another forum..
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...5-400-4-a.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR90...-5.html?tp=115
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113XR40...-4.html?tp=115
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Jensen Power 760.4 - $70
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...wer-760.4.html

Jensen is not a bad brand, but it is an entry level brand, similar to your dual head unit. 75 watts x 4 for $70 is not a bad price at all. It would also handle most run of the mill speakers that are usually sold in between $50 and $80 bucks.

I want to get this one but how would i connect my speakers when it has RCA type line input? And this can cut out all low notes that the sub gets?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
You'll need one with a low pass filter on the amp for your subs if you wanting to that. And your headunit will need the RCA out's to run back to the amp. Its much better to use rca's then the regular speaker output anyway.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #15
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
I want to get this one but how would i connect my speakers when it has RCA type line input? And this can cut out all low notes that the sub gets?

You have to get a radio.that has 6 preout RCA outputs. Then its all plug and play.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
JonStoltz
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
You have to get a radio.that has 6 preout RCA outputs. Then its all plug and play.

well damn that complicates things a bit. i have enough funds for an amp, not an amp and a headunit with all RCA outputs. guess i'll keep shopping
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
negolien
GL Member

Don't be afraid of line outputs they work. I had one in my car for a few years until I got my HU recently and it worked fine.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
JonStoltz
GX Member

I'm just gonna get the Sony XM-ZR704. I can hook that up directly to my speaker wire outputs.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #19
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
I'm just gonna get the Sony XM-ZR704. I can hook that up directly to my speaker wire outputs.

For the $40 difference, you could get a used radio from a pawn shop for $60 that has the 3 RCA outputs.

Or just get one of these babies.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...FdRQOgodgWQAfg

Pretty sure they're cheaper on eBay.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #20
negolien
GL Member

What you going to run with it? Looks like a decent price and product.