Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
Number of subwoofers for same power. Is there a Difference?

I apologize if this has already been asked but i couldnt find it in the searches so here we go. Is 2 subs rated at 400 watts RMS (each) louder than 1 sub rated at 800 watts RMS? The difference is the amount of cone and air that is moving is doubled, so would that increase your decibles? For arguements sake lets say theyre the same brand and same size. Lets not pick apart the question and overcomplicate things lol. Thanks guys!

Last edited by JonStoltz : 05-26-2014 at 06:40 AM.
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
I apologize if this has already been asked but i couldnt find it in the searches so here we go. Is 2 subs rated at 400 watts RMS (each) louder than 1 sub rated at 800 watts RMS? The difference is the amount of cone and air that is moving is doubled, so would that increase your decibles? For arguements sake lets say theyre the same brand and same size. Lets not pick apart the question and overcomplicate things lol. Thanks guys!

If each woofer has the same impedance, same sensitivity, same enclosure volume per woofer, and the pair of 400W drivers are placed close together (mutual loading effect), and the 800W single is replaced by the 400W pair wired in parallel when powered by the same channel of the amp ...... yes.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
JonStoltz
GX Member

Yes what? Yes they are louder than one sub? Your saying that extra cone volume does make a difference even if it is the same power than the one?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yes what? Yes they are louder than one sub? Your saying that extra cone volume does make a difference even if it is the same power than the one?

Yes, the pair will be louder than the single sub, under the conditions I listed.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
JonStoltz
GX Member

That makes sense, my friend has a system of the same power but it fealt much louder and he has 2 subs, only difference pretty much. So always go with dual subs if you can? We are talking about a dual sub enclosure right?

Last edited by JonStoltz : 05-26-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
That makes sense, my friend has a system of the same power but it fealt much louder and he has 2 subs, only difference pretty much. So always go with dual subs if you can? We are talking about a dual sub enclosure right?

The choice could depend on which box shape and depth you want, and whether you already have a woofer in mind that you know has the output, bass range, and impedance that you want. If you make a 2-section box, one side for each woofer, when one blows up you can still use the other. In theory, I don't think a 2-driver system has an advantage for deep bass. 2 smaller woofers can sometimes have better mid-bass than a single larger one, but not always. In general, you need to go up 2 sizes on a single cone (10, 12, 15, etc.) to outpower 2 cones, but not always. In general, I would take two 10s over a single 12, or two 12s over a single 15. But there still could be a single 15 out there that outperforms those particular two 12s, depending on the quality of build.