Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #1
JonStoltz
GX Member

JonStoltz is on a distinguished road
Sub comparison question?

Why is a 1,500 RMS JL 13.5 W7 (with enclosure) almost 3 times more expensive than two Kicker CompR 12's (dual enclosure) with a combined 1,600 RMS? They're both A list manufacturers. If i were to guess, the JL build quality is significantly better since it's just one woofer pushing those numbers.

Last edited by JonStoltz : 08-02-2014 at 07:28 AM.
JonStoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
All jl subwoofers are way over priced, but they sure do sound good. There are many other options for a lot less that are more powerful and do the job.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Yeah branding is a huge part of it JL is a very well respected name.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
JonStoltz
GX Member

Well if the biggest factor is the logo on the dust cap then ill just go with the kickers and keep my kidney! Cant complain
Old 08-03-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
JL puts out a better product so you get what you pay for Kickers are hyped a lot. Try Soundquebed, Sundown Audio or DC all three are decent price vs product compared to kicker, JL or Alpine.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
we all know what I'm going to say.. Alpine type R I could list my reasons but I dont feel like typing that much right now. you wont be disappointed by one
edit: ok fine. they will take more of beating then any other speaker, play with the best clarity throughout the entire range of sound, are one of the most efficient speakers out there... my list goes on. I've tried all sorts of speakers from all sorts of brands. a set of cheap alpines once let me down but I will never buy anything other than a type r again. its well worth the money for the quality you get and the fact that you wont have to replace them constantly even you just.. beat the living crap out of them.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Lets do this... let's change the question to a clothing type question...

Why is Ralph Lauren more expensive than Nautica? Why is True Religion more expensive than Lucky 7?

JL has been hyped up as a brand. Sure their products may be top notch, but that doesn't mean the little guy doesn't make a similar product. Although I will comment that the little guy sometimes doesn't make a high powered subwoofer, or will make subwoofers that burn out rather quickly.

So why is JL expensive? For the same reason Rockford Fosgate is expensive. It's a well known brand with certain products that were of quality craftsmanship. I won't say they all are since we all know everyone makes a dud here and there.

Also, for the record, Kicker isn't a "top notch" brand. Top notch/Grade A brands are stuff like Skar or Memphis Audio. Kicker is more of a mid level player, that makes stuff that can compete with the big boys, but saying Kicker and JL are the same rank is like comparing JVC to Kicker. Not many JVC speakers can hold a candle to Kicker products. JVC doesn't even make subwoofers under the JVC brand. Most subs from that company are branded as "Kenwood", and even then Kenwood isn't the brand that it used to be.

Think of it this way...

JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer; those are entry level brands.

Alpine, Kicker, Polk Audio, Infinity; those are mid level brands.

Memphis Audio, JL, DC; These brands are for audiophiles...

Of course it can also be argued that if it's sold at a big box store and not an audioshop, then it's entry level whereas stuff you only find at a sound shop is more high end since they're specialty stuff.

Me personally, Alpine headunits, Alpine woofers, Kicker Solo Baric subs. I like the Alpine subs, they have clearer sound quality, but a Solo Baric can make it sound like you have a sub a size up than what it really is. Even right now that I'm rebuilding my Cutlass, I'm split between 2 12" Type R subs or 2 12" Solo Baric L7's - which will sound like 2 15"s in a ported box.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #8
JonStoltz
GX Member

So i think ill go with the kickers im just curious how they took (2) 2 ohm subs and wired them into a 2 ohm final impedance from one input terminal?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
S8track16
GL Member

S8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond reputeS8track16 has a reputation beyond repute
Dual 2 ohm subs would do that.

New System in Progress...Mids/Tweets: 2 Skar SPX component sets powered by a Skar 85.4. Subs: Hybrid 15" DD/AA, Amp: Skar SK3500, 2 runs (power and ground) of Knu OFC 0 gauge, XS d3400 up front, 2 Deka g31s in the trunk...more to come
S8track16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
JonStoltz
GX Member

wouldn't parallel decrease it to say 0 and series to 4? Or does that new "resiatance switch" take care of that. Its been years since ive bought a sub not already wired to a box. Maybe its been way too long and my memory is hazy

Last edited by JonStoltz : 08-08-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
negolien
GL Member

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/H...oil-Subwoofers
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
Great post.....thanks for summing things up nicely as I've been out of the car audio scene for a while now and my son wants a new sound system for the GA so I'm doing some research. Looking for a sub box that can be mounted under the rear deck in the trunk as we can't use a big huge sub box because the trunk still needs to remain useable to haul things. I've seen it done on one of the GA forums, but the box he used doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Lets do this... let's change the question to a clothing type question...

Why is Ralph Lauren more expensive than Nautica? Why is True Religion more expensive than Lucky 7?

JL has been hyped up as a brand. Sure their products may be top notch, but that doesn't mean the little guy doesn't make a similar product. Although I will comment that the little guy sometimes doesn't make a high powered subwoofer, or will make subwoofers that burn out rather quickly.

So why is JL expensive? For the same reason Rockford Fosgate is expensive. It's a well known brand with certain products that were of quality craftsmanship. I won't say they all are since we all know everyone makes a dud here and there.

Also, for the record, Kicker isn't a "top notch" brand. Top notch/Grade A brands are stuff like Skar or Memphis Audio. Kicker is more of a mid level player, that makes stuff that can compete with the big boys, but saying Kicker and JL are the same rank is like comparing JVC to Kicker. Not many JVC speakers can hold a candle to Kicker products. JVC doesn't even make subwoofers under the JVC brand. Most subs from that company are branded as "Kenwood", and even then Kenwood isn't the brand that it used to be.

Think of it this way...

JVC, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer; those are entry level brands.

Alpine, Kicker, Polk Audio, Infinity; those are mid level brands.

Memphis Audio, JL, DC; These brands are for audiophiles...

Of course it can also be argued that if it's sold at a big box store and not an audioshop, then it's entry level whereas stuff you only find at a sound shop is more high end since they're specialty stuff.

Me personally, Alpine headunits, Alpine woofers, Kicker Solo Baric subs. I like the Alpine subs, they have clearer sound quality, but a Solo Baric can make it sound like you have a sub a size up than what it really is. Even right now that I'm rebuilding my Cutlass, I'm split between 2 12" Type R subs or 2 12" Solo Baric L7's - which will sound like 2 15"s in a ported box.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Clarion for me...lol SPL system going into mine this week. Went with Wirez Amp kit and T2T connections, clarion sub, Arc Audio component and crossovers, Clarion Amp, and Arc Audio 602 sail panel speakers. My friend Dave is the engineer, designer and builder of my entire system. He's also doing the install and tuning of it for me... Ive never owned a real system, just junk I found along the way...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfMU-oxDGs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPzHyHgZL4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egkMOXzVjxk
Go with whatever sub floats your boat I say, but Wirez will make all the difference... its worth checking out what Dave has put together here, heès a freak of nature when it comes to sound and travels all over Canada and the US as a judge for stereo competitions, boy knows!!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
tw0123
OSV coming soon!!!!!

tw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond reputetw0123 has a reputation beyond repute
Sound nice Paul.... I like clarion stuff.... I have a tv and cd player of theirs in my car.... my speakers are all infinity and my subs are cerwin vega... amps are audiobahn... they've served me well for the past ten years....

Misty: 3400, S&S headers, TCE 65mm TB, CAI, 180* TStat, Milzy motor & tranny mount, 18" BOSS 328 & much more... going osv!!
Silver: 2.4L, 5 speed, GAGT seats, front & rear STB's, all red tails, led headlights, Magnaflow muffler, Milzy Motor mount, WAI, Cosmo short shifter; sold n missed
Tequila: 2.4L, GA interior swap, scrapped...
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
negolien
GL Member

Not sure how much SPL you are going to get out of a 300 rms speaker but hey /shrug.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
MMGT1
GLS member

MMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond reputeMMGT1 has a reputation beyond repute
I trust Dave to put something really good together. The sub will take a beating, but it all remains to be seen/herd! I've never put a system in a car in my life, not like this

Last edited by MMGT1 : 08-09-2014 at 11:03 PM.
MMGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStoltz View Post
wouldn't parallel decrease it to say 0 and series to 4? Or does that new "resiatance switch" take care of that. Its been years since ive bought a sub not already wired to a box. Maybe its been way too long and my memory is hazy

They're dual voice coil subs, that's why they're able to wire them to 2ohms final. What they do is they wire each sub to be 1ohm (there's no such thing as no ohm subs, since zero is nothing/the absence of a number). So now that they have the sub wired in parallel, they wire the 2 subs in series to create the final 2 ohms.

That "resistance switch" does nothing but switch from parallel to series wiring. I had that sub (Comp R or w.e., the 800 RMS sub). It's a good sub, but it needs a properly tuned box. You can't slap stuff like that in a prefab box unless it has the right cubic space but even then it wouldn't be 100% perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Great post.....thanks for summing things up nicely as I've been out of the car audio scene for a while now and my son wants a new sound system for the GA so I'm doing some research. Looking for a sub box that can be mounted under the rear deck in the trunk as we can't use a big huge sub box because the trunk still needs to remain useable to haul things. I've seen it done on one of the GA forums, but the box he used doesn't seem to be available anymore.

No problem. Feel free to browse through my posts on here. I've written up a lot of stuff on sound systems. Or make your own thread, I'd be happy to help, although I'll take a day or 2 to get to it since I don't have much time to be online anymore.

If you want a system small enough to fit in the car but keep your trunk space, look into the truck sub and box combo. That's actually what I did with my Camaro, I got a Solo Baric TS10L3.

It looks like this.

You could get 2 of them if you wanted and have them under the rear deck, they're only 10 or so in width, but go up to 15 or so in height. They don't make L3 Solo Barics anymore, only L7's. They're more expensive but they have 600 watts RMS in 10" sub configuration. Mine has 400 but it's not noticeable. Sounds like 2 entry level 12" subs. The 600 watt one would sound similar, but considering the space thing, it's not bad at all. It won't set off alarms but it will make you feel happy driving.

Here's a link for the L7's. They're expensive but try to shop around for a deal.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...11TS10L72.html

Also, getting these in 2 ohm is better. More easier to power since you don't need an expensive amp. You could get a $150 Sony amp that's rated for 600 or so watts at 2 ohms and be done with it. That's what I did, except my Sony amp cost me $100 and it has 600 watts at 2 ohm, 330 at 4.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
JonStoltz
GX Member

Your the man Nas. thanks for the visual aid too, Negolien now it makes sense lol. And as u know the sub comes in an enclosure from the company. Idk what its tuned to but id imagine the specs are ideal for the sub. Im trusting they know what they're doing. I mean you'd think right ha
Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #19
MMGT1
GLS member

And, according to my buddy Dave...I need to learn the difference between SPL and Sound Q! Told you I know less than nothing about this stuff...hahaha