Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a 2.4L...

Can you go bang top down on the IDI cover using the side of your fist pretty hard and tell me if there seems to be a rattle from the timing chain area?

Lol just curious before I remove the timing cover and take a peek. I think I might have something that failed in there.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

NoSweat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll check it out here after work and let you know. What do you think failed this time?
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Could be the tensioner is loose, guides broke, chain jumped a tooth... not sure but hoping that I find a concrete problem and easy solution. Seems to have been driving fine, but ever since I had the manual in I drove it hard, wheel hopped quite a bit and shifted hard (leading to the cracks/breakages on my turbo manifold) so I think the shock from that also transferred to the timing and might have done something lol.

I've re-used the same tensioner/chain/guides the last 4 times the engine has been apart, which began in 2008.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Well you always did drive it pretty hard and that obviously hasn't changed. lol

Let ya know what happens after I give my ho some tough love.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

Damn I tapped things with a rubber mallet and it went away and now I can't make it make the rattle again lol.
When I rotate the crank by hand back and forth I don't hear anything weird from the chain area.

Edit: Pinpointed vibration issue to the warped v-band on my downpipe. Easy fix, next week. Who knows what the other rattle is but I know that this noise is solely from the v-band being warped beyond belief. The air gap is causing some crazy harmonics as the exhaust squeezes out.

Still, curious what this was. Can't reproduce it anymore, just was a random observation that one time.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
NoSweat83
I Have ONE NUT

Weird. Mine didn't make a noise. At least you know what it is and can fix it.