Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
goldensaint

Hey guys, i have a question once again.....Would a mix of 2 tens (which i have) and 1 15inch subwoofer be a good mix for highs and lows or will they just cancel each other out. I have a setup i would like but i don't know if it would make a big difference...please help me out.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

Screamin eagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Screamin eagle
It would work, just make sure you set your crossovers right. Lower freqs for the 15 and higher freqs for the tens...
Old 12-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #3
bigd6983

lol or low frequencies for the 10 and even lower frequencies for the 15
Old 12-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

How about higher lower freqs for the 10s?????????
Old 12-05-2004, 01:37 AM   #5
bigd6983

lol i say just stick with one size, go with 2 12's
Old 12-05-2004, 02:07 AM   #6
1WhiteOSV

do you want sound quality or SPL? If you're doing SPL then go w/ 2 15"s or something..if you want SQ then go w/ 2 10"s only (or just 1 10")
Old 12-05-2004, 03:59 AM   #7
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
put 2 12's in a sealed box.

wether your running 10's or 15's, your going to set the low pass around 80hz anyways.

you would get some cancellation running 2 10's and a 15

edit: sorry, i just saw you had 2 10's already, what are they? what type of box? instead of picking up a 15, pick up 2 more 10's, small sealed box (im not a fan of ported box's) you'll get sq, and spl.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

You can't generalize putting 2 12s in a sealed box. Not every sub performs at its peak in a sealed enclosure.
What kind of cancellation are you talking about. Freqs will not cancel out unless your subs are running out of phase.
It would not be smart to have 2 10s and a 15 and set both to the same 80hz pass. Your subs will have a lot more precise if you let your 15 handle the low deep freqs and let your 10 handle the higher bass freqs. The smaller the range of frequencies your subs are required to handle the better.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #9
goldensaint

Yeah i already have 2 10's that are running 300rms a piece with a 600watt hardcore ma audio amp, i just want more and a real low sound i kinda figured that putting a 15 in the mix would do just that. But i am not sure anymore.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
gxryan

Well personally I find 2 12" with a ported box put me in nicely for SPL and SQL so i'm pretty happy,

But yeah a 15 will grab u lower, and i wouldent bother putting a crossover if you don't already have one, so long as you have your amp/deck set at 80hz for the subwoffer crossover you should be fine, what the 15 lacks in the fast bass the 10's will pick up same with the deep bass for the 15...

and yeah like whoever posted above me subs will not cancel out unless they are out of phase.

But yeah I think u'd probly get more of everything u want with 2 12" but thats just my personal opinion from owning a 15 and 12's.
All depends what kinda music you listen to,
Old 12-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
i have a single 15" audiobahn for sale *CHEAP* i'll sell you, pm me if your interested
Old 12-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Screamin eagle@Dec 5 2004, 02:07 PM
You can't generalize putting 2 12s in a sealed box. Not every sub performs at its peak in a sealed enclosure.
What kind of cancellation are you talking about. Freqs will not cancel out unless your subs are running out of phase.
It would not be smart to have 2 10s and a 15 and set both to the same 80hz pass. Your subs will have a lot more precise if you let your 15 handle the low deep freqs and let your 10 handle the higher bass freqs. The smaller the range of frequencies your subs are required to handle the better.
all subs play in a sealed box. ported box's are tricky to tune correctly. ive heard dozens of 1 note wonder box's (box's that sound great in a certain small frequency range, but lack in all other frequencies). a improperly designed ported box will give you horrible boomy bass. sealed box's have a much smoother response, so its almost impossible to mess up a sealed box. they have excellent transient response, and doesnt' unload below the tunning frequencies, which is always fun for deystroying a woofer. of course, a PROPERLY tunned ported box will go LOW, even with 10's, you wont need a 15. it will also be louder. but it will NEVER get the transient response or smoothness of that woofer in a sealed box.

and yes you will get cancellation for 2 reasons. 1, im not 100% sure on this, but is it possible to put 1 15 and 2 tens on the same wall facing the same direction? you'd have the same issue with 4 10's, but it would be more even. that would be 1 incredibly deep box if it would even fit. i guess that depends on if your going sealed or ported too, since ported have to be bigger. so if they are not all facing the same direction, the same distance from you, the bass waves will arrive at different times, (this is out of phase, 1 wave arrives before another) if the subs were 180* out of phase, you wouldn't hear crap, just air, of course it wouldn't be this bad, but the closer it is, the less you hear.

i would never recommend using different size woofers, or even different brands. all woofers react differently, 1 will be faster than the other, the bass waves will not be aligned. yes im aware 50hz is 50hz, no matter what sub gets it, but 1 sub may take longer in putting out that 50hz (which is more of a sloppy sound) even as much as 4 milliseconds is alot.

10's or 15's can do 80hz NO problem, you low pass them there because you dont want vocals going through the sub. the only thing you might want to change is the subsonic if you have one, depending on brands its possible for a 10 to play just as low in frequencies as a 15.

btw, SQ + SPL = SQL, its a combination of the two
Old 12-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

I'm not saying that some subs won't play in a sealed box, every sub will play in any box but if you want to spend $400 on a sub that was designed for a ported box and have it sound like crap by all means go ahead.
Sloppiness is when a large sub is moving up and down the frequency range going from a higher bass to a lower bass introducing unneccessary cone movement. If you use proper crossover settings you will prevent a larger sub, such as a 15 from playing anything above 60 or 80hz and a smaller sub from trying to produce a freq below 60 or 80. You will have much less distortion in your system using this method.
80hz is by no means low bass. Find me a 10 that can put out a 20 or 30hz signal and not fly apart because common sense and past experience tells me otherwise.
Dude everyone agrees on 12s. I also agree with that, I have always loved 12s that's just my opinion though. I'm not going to argue about 10s and 15s when 12s are a happy medium.

mike
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 PM   #14
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Screamin eagle@Dec 5 2004, 07:40 PM
I'm not saying that some subs won't play in a sealed box, every sub will play in any box but if you want to spend $400 on a sub that was designed for a ported box and have it sound like crap by all means go ahead.
Sloppiness is when a large sub is moving up and down the frequency range going from a higher bass to a lower bass introducing unneccessary cone movement. If you use proper crossover settings you will prevent a larger sub, such as a 15 from playing anything above 60 or 80hz and a smaller sub from trying to produce a freq below 60 or 80. You will have much less distortion in your system using this method.
80hz is by no means low bass. Find me a 10 that can put out a 20 or 30hz signal and not fly apart because common sense and past experience tells me otherwise.
Dude everyone agrees on 12s. I also agree with that, I have always loved 12s that's just my opinion though. I'm not going to argue about 10s and 15s when 12s are a happy medium.

mike
seeing as how the average human ear cant even HEAR 20hz, or barely if they can why would you want any sub to play that? 10's can be played in the 30's in a properly tuned box.

a sub sounding sloppy can come from many things, in general a 15 wont react as fast as a 10, it will take longer to produce notes so if those 10's are do it faster you will get slight cancellation (out of phase) you can get a sloppy sound from a strait bass note drop (like alot of rap music, there not "real" sounds, they're simulated frequencies, not instruments, so you can get a strait 40hz bass note)

set a 10 a 80hz highpass (subsonic) and what, 150hz low pass? go ahead, it wont sound that great. thats what midbass's are for.

depends on what type of music you like, i dont listen to a whole lot of rap, and i want to mount mine in the rear dash, so i got a set of soundstream exact 8's. its not going to shake any windows, but i want sq, not spl. so ill mount them in the rear dash (hopefully attempt it this week) in a infinite baffle setup, should be a pretty good mix of sub/midbass. free-air rocks for transient response, sucks for overall spl and power handling
Old 12-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #15
1WhiteOSV

every sub has a recommended enclosure type and cu.ft. size....
Old 12-06-2004, 12:07 AM   #16
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

I'm tired of arguing, neither of us will convince the other that we're right.

20hz is the lowest frequency the human ear CAN hear, even if you can't hear it though you can feel it. Finding a 15 that can reproduce it powerfully is a cool experience.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:57 PM   #17
mike2002
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by Screamin eagle@Dec 6 2004, 12:07 AM
I'm tired of arguing, neither of us will convince the other that we're right.

20hz is the lowest frequency the human ear CAN hear, even if you can't hear it though you can feel it. Finding a 15 that can reproduce it powerfully is a cool experience.
ya, but ive been home sick for 4 days, and im bored :thumbsup:
Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 AM   #18
Screamin eagle
V.I.P. Member

yeah, good call
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #19
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Sub that will do 20hz and below
Alpine x-12/x-10
My buddy has an x-12+MRD-1001 in a slot ported box that i built him, about 1.7cft with Lots of port... it plays low on tests, to about 25hrz and i was shooting for 35 but what r u gunna do...lol

As the rule go's if you want to have a nice simple system get some deacent 12's in a small volume sealed box and push about 1000wrms to them.
Thats if you dont want to mess around, its up to you. a system like that will give you little to no headaches, and will be reliable as long as you select the right subs.
Now if you want to go with the 15 and 10's Do it.
Get a large sealed box for the 15, and either small ported for the 10's or sealed.
Push a deacent amount of power to the 10's, and get amps with adjustable crossovers, or pay extra and get a crossover, w.e flicks your bick.
Play your 10's (depending on what they are ) no lower then about 50 hz.
Now if you just have some ell cheepo 10's, and a not so great 15 its prolly not worth your time to mess around with all this
Either sell that not so great stuff, and get 1 or 2 good 12's or a good 15 and push lots of power to it in a Driver specific enclosure. this will MOST likely yeild MORE output then having some mediocre 10's and deacent 15.

Now if you just want to add some low end, i know how you feel, 2 10's dosent shake like a 15. and if you want to add the low end then personally depending on how much troubble you want to go thru maybe sell those 10's and get a good 15 and tune it right. with proper mids you wont notice much of the spectrum missing.
Get somthing like a R-15 or a Cerwin Vega stroker
That in the right box+ power will BLOW your mind.
Just my 2 cents

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #20
TribalAlero2000GL3

Kid i go to school with is runnin 3 10"s and 1 15", it sounds pretty good, but he wired it in pretty sweet he made switches on his REM wires to his 2 amps, 1 runs his 15, the other runs his 3 tens, he can choose which amp to power, both running, its a pretty tight set up, dependin on what u wanna listen to u might give it a thought, if he listens to rock he has the 10s play only (... turns off 15"s Amp), rap, either just 15 or both, depends how much spl he wants. I've heard it runnin with all 4 they don't cancel out much, u do get a pretty good spectrum of sound. Personally i like my 2 12"s in my sealed box, but if u got the stuff layin around go for it. :thumbsup: