Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
AleroBloke

I bought a bandpass box for my 1 subwoofer the other day, and when i try and push it it seems like a lot of noise is coming out of the air holes the ported holes i have three of them, but I had a bandpass before, and it wasn't made this way, The holes are in the front(2) of the subwoofer not behind it (5) shouldn't the ports be in the area on the back of the subwoofer, i dunno how to explain it, but all i know is that the bass sounds crappy like its being restricted and i took the plexi glass off and it sounded worse! how do i fix this? I need a sealed box huh? here is an image of how my box looks.i dunno if someone can help me, its kinda hard to explain
Old 02-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
how bout an actual picture instead of the stick drawing.

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
bigd6983

lol the problem with buying a ported box pre made is that the ports arent tuned to the sub you have.......i think theres a certain length and diamater of the port that you match to the sub to give it optimal sound but im not sure though......ive only dealt with sealed box's......just easier for me.....

so yea if you dont know a lot about ported box's, its best just to get a sealed box.....
Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
that is a 4 th order band psaa. it is a suckey box design if you want sq. plus they are bid. but the plus size is you dont need as much power to drive the sub. what sub do you have in the box?
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
the problem is that your box is made out of line figures and not wood.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
AleroBloke

I don't have my digital camera right now, sorry. I have a sony xplode subwoofer, 12 inch, the red one, that is five sided. Well, I just wanted a few answers, some of you were trying, thanks, but seeing as not that good on paint, and i suck at drawing, that will have to do.

can anyone asnwer my question. how come my box makes this noise? What kind of bandpass should i get? I know pictures of mine would help, but, just want a few tips to steer me in the right direction, thats what these forums are for right? to help?

forget my ugly dumb azz box, what box do i need to "thump" i play punk music, and some hip hop, I have a sounstream xta360.2 2 channel xtream series pushing it. just want some help guys. thats all.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, 1: Determine the amount of volume that your sub requires.
2: Measure the amount of volume in the SEALED chamber of the box, then SUBTRACT the amount of volume that the woffer its'self takes up when installed in that chamber.
3:Compare those 2 figures. They need to be the same, if not VERY close.
4: Crank up the tunes; Is the window sealed correctly? If not, it'll rattle and make all kinds of racket. Not only that, but it makes the design of the box useless. the air being diplaced by the woofer NEEDS to be passing through the ports, and NOwhere else.

My initial diagnosis is that the sub requires more or less volume in the sealed chamber of the box to perform properly. If that's the case, then determine which you like better: the sub, or the box, because it's mis-matched equipment, and one of the two needs to be replaced with something else.

hope this helps. B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
Travis99Alero

ditch the bandpass box and go with a sealed box instead.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
If you are realy serious about a bandpass, then you should look into having a shop make it for you. As stated in the previous posts the volume and port sizes are very critical to the performance. If you still want to give it a try, check out
http://www.ajdesigner.com/speaker/index.php
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
AleroBloke

I"m stupid. I didn't screw off the plexi glass on tight enough! thanks youngblood for the tip!!!! haha, i'm dumb. thanks though, I think i'm gonna go with the sealed box anyway,

also, my system sounds better with the back seats down. is this common?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #11
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
it is port tune not port size port size olny afects port volosity and if you keep it under 34 you are fine.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:12 PM   #12
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's totally normal for our cars, my friend. The seat creates a barrier, and the sound needs to penetrate that barrier to get to your ears. With the seat folded down ( I just fold the smaller section down ) The sound can flow out into the cabin area to your ears. Hope this helps, man. B)

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
flalero

Quote:
Originally posted by AleroBloke@Feb 8 2005, 08:56 PM

also, my system sounds better with the back seats down. is this common?
Your system will sound better with the seats down because you have a bandpass box. The box is used to build up pressure, as opposed to a sealed box, that uses the open air space to build pressure. I've found that my system sounds better with my seats up.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
bigd6983

yea just go with a sealed box......its easier.....ported box's are for people who know exactly what size port they need matched to the sub they have to get the bass they are looking for.....my 2 10's hit harder than any of my friends 2 12's........its all about box size, subs, power, and mating it to the right car......
Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #15
HAZED

the bass always sound better with the seat down i hade both i perffer sealed.. its a tighter and harder knock than a band bass