Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
Hi,
I'm new to aleromod.com. I've spent the last couple of days reading the forums, and I must say - well done y'all! Absolutely blew me away with all the information and activity. Well, let me get down to business.
I recently bought a 1999 Alero with 65k on it. It has the 4 cylinder, so it's not going to be a performance beast. What I'm looking towards now is building a nice audio system for it. I have a couple of ideas in mind, and wanted to bounce them off of you guys and get some feedback, as well as ideas about components.

First off, I was looking at this head unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Pjn8unPr7AK/c...00&I=500CDA9851

Crutchfield says it doesn't fit, but I read a topic on here where someone said that if you wanted a certain one, you could make it fit. However, I'm not too familiar with car audio really, I've always just heard that Alpine is really good - so if there's a better one, please advise. As far as cost, around $400 or under would be good.

Cabin speakers - I'm completely up in the air on this one. I read somewhere that there are 4x6 in the front, and 6x9 in the back - if so, I'd appreciate suggestions for replacements. Cost isn't really an issue on these, as most replacement speakers this size aren't very much - maybe a couple hundred per set. Also, should I get an amp for the cabin speakers?

Subwoofers - I have a general idea about some of this. I'm the web architect for an architectural fiberglass company, so if need be I can use our plant to make a custom box for subwoofers - we have MDF, fibermat, chopped fiber, resin - all that kind of stuff. I listen mostly to metal, so hard, fast, tight bass is the order of the day here - think Graveworm, Lamb of God (Ashes of the Wake especially - *love* the bass/production) type thing. Lots of double bass too. From my reading, for this I would want a pair of 10" subwoofers with a separate amp for each. I would also like (should the need arise) to be able to go low and long - like rap type bass. One thought that crossed my mind was having 2 10" and 1 15" and a toggle switch under the head unit to turn on/off depending on what I was listening to. I was tossing this idea around with someone here at the office, and he suggested instead to get 2 high quality 12" subwoofers. I'm in a bit of a quandry with this one - any suggestions? Regarding cost - maybe a grand max for subwoofers and amps.

This whole process is going to take a couple months or so - I have about $500/mo I can put toward the car and the various "cool stuff" like audio. Next month (April) I have to get new tires all around, new brake pads, rotors - that sort of thing. Audio system building will start in May with the head unit and cabin speaker replacements. I have 2 12" and a horrible little 400W Sony amp from my prelude I can use until I get the new subwoofers put in.

Well, I realize this is quite a long post, first post at that - but I hope you guys will help me.

Cheers!
Collin
Old 03-28-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Get 2 12s. If you get good ones they'll have good tight bass response. I suggest going around to the local car audio shops and listening to the subs and speakers they have hooked up and decide for yourself which you like. Sound is opinion based and your opinion might differ from someone elses.
Alero's have 4x6s in the front and 6x9s in the back just like you read. That radio will fit you just might have to cut a piece of plastic behind the headunit so it goes back far enough.
Alpine makes very good headunits. Eclipse is also on there level. Clarion, higher end Pioneer and higher end Panasonics are very nice also.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

So, regarding 4x6s and 6x9s - what would be recommended? And any thoughts on whether to amp them, or let the head unit handle their power?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
jamcllw
GLS member

Definatly amp them. They'll sound cleaner and get louder. Infinity's are a popular choice by alot of people on here. I have Infinity components in my doors. The highs are extremely crisp and clear but get very harsh at higher volumes. The mids on Ifinity's in my opinion are very lacking. They have very low to no midbass. Of course JL Audio makes very good midrange speakers but can get pricey. I've heard Eclipse 6x9s and I was very impressed with them and plan on getting a set when I have the money. Soundstream is also a popular choice but I've never heard them so I can't comment on how they sound.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
I've got infinity refrences 4x6 plates.
And Rockford fosgate punchs 6x9's
neither are amped, they sound great. The infinities do get kinda harsh up at the really high volumes.

I've got a kenwood deck.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #6
jiffy

jamcllw - what model of infinity speakers do you have? I was looking at the 5000cs or the 6000cs, but if they got no midbass I'm not spending the money on them.

Ok, back on topic. I posted this in another thread, but it applies to anyone starting a system:

Adding components one by one allows you too really hear the change that that component added (or subracted) from how it sounded before.

Really, it depends how much you are willing to spend, and what you want out of the system.

Your first upgrade should be a sub. Adding bass will be one of the biggest ways to change the sound of your setup. I was suprised at how "good" the factory 6x9's sound playing some bass, but 6x9's and subs are completly different. Subs let you feel the bass, 6x9 you hear some (mid)bass.

Of course you would need an amp for your sub. After seeing how you think it sounds, decide if you need another upgrade. If so, I would then put some component speakers into the front doors, amped of course. A multi channel amp comes in handy here if you are on a tight budget/tight space. Instead of having a dedicated sub amp and another for your components, you could run both off of a multi channel.

Changing factory speakers to aftermarket speakers will cause a more noticable change then keeping the factory speakers and changing the HU to an aftermarket, although I don't deny an aftermarket HU is better, I don't feel it should be your first purchase.

At this point you will have a sub (or more than one) and a set of good component speakers. Still not as good as you wanted it? Now I would look into a aftermarket HU. Preamp outputs, higher watts RMS, and more user setting tweaking (EQ's etc) will make this a very valuable option in upgrading your sound.
---
Also now, if you do not get component speakers you don't need an amp to power them. Component speakers (which I highly recomend) have a lot higher of an RMS rating than coxials (regular speakers) do. If you go with coxials, an aftermarket HU will give them enough power.

If you want tight bass, get a SEALED BOX, and make sure the interior space is to spec with what the manufacturer recomends for the particular sub you get.

Also, a side note, if you are going to be spending as much as you are, definitely head over to http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/index.php? to get some help selecting a system. Even if you weren't spending much, that is a great site (non alero) for car audio info.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by jiffy@Mar 28 2005, 02:04 PM
jamcllw - what model of infinity speakers do you have? I was looking at the 5000cs or the 6000cs, but if they got no midbass I'm not spending the money on them.

I have the Infinity Kappa 60.5cs. They don't have vrey strong midbass at all. I'm about to buy some CDT midbass drivers to replace the 6.5s. I'm still going to use the Infinity tweeters with them.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

Thanks for all the input so far!
Going from what I've read, I've come up with a first draft parts list. Let me know what y'all think, what should be changed - all that.

Head unit - Eclipse CD3434
4x6 - Eclipse SE8463A
6x9 - Eclipse SE8493
Subwoofers - (2) JL Audio 12W6v2
Sub amps - (2) JL Audio E1400D
Cabin Amp - JL Audio E4300
Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
jamcllw
GLS member

Not bad but I wouldn't get the E series amps from JL. For 2 W6V2s you need to get the 1000/1 and mine as well get the matching 300/4 or 450/4 from them as well. You can feed those subs 500 watts a piece and they'll love you for it. Those by the way have the best sound quality of all the JL subs that I've ever heard. Eclipse speakers are good and they'll make you happy. And you can never go wrong with an Eclipse headunit. That's a very expensive setup also so you might want to think about an alarm if you don't already have one. Let me know when you plan on buying that stuff. I can get decent discounts on JL stuff.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

You mention the 1000/1 - do you mean get one for each of the subwoofers, or power both subwoofers off of one? I thought I would be better off having an amp for each sub than powering both from a single amp - Again though - I'm rather new at this.
The 300/4 JL Audio (looking towards cabin speakers amp) is $400, as opposed to $200 for the E4300 - is it really worth twice as much for the 300/4?
I don't have an alarm at the moment, but what would recommendations along those lines be?

Thanks,
Collin
Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM   #11
alerospeed2003

i am currently working with kenwood 3 way 6x9's in the back deck, and memphis audio 4x6's in the doors.......i am mostly a kenwood person, but like someone else said, it's a matter of personal opinion. as for your sub setup, i used to do installations, and everything in my car has been installed by none other than..........me. i think getting 2 10's and 1 15" would be a little too much.....you could go with something like 3 10's, and have the two you listen to the most wired to one amp, and have a smaller amp wired to a switch for the third sub, that way, if you wanted louder, harder bass, just flip the switch, and all 3 subs are beating, turn it off, and you have your lower bass again, you could also tweak your amps differently........it all depends on what you want, i just think a 15" sub would be too much, unless you also wanted the show look.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
jamcllw
GLS member

The main difference between the 300/4 and the E4300 is that the 300/4 has a regulated power supply meaning that any ohm load between 1.5-4 Ohms is going to get 75 watts per channel. The E4300 on the other hand has 45 watts per channel @ 4 Ohms and 75 watts per channel @ 2 Ohms. And you would only need one 1000/1 to operate both subs. You don't need separate amps for each sub. And alarm wise any of the high Directed Electronics stuff is good like Viper and Clifford.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
alerospeed2003

oh, and as for putting a system together, the first thing you should get is not the subs, but a headunit........why run subs and an amp off of a factory headunit? it just means just that much more wiring.......
Old 03-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
jamcllw
GLS member

When you start mixing subwoofer sizes you start to get cancellations between the subs and it would sound worse than if you had the same size. Stick with 2 subs the same size and if you get good high quality subs it will sound great no matter what music you listen to.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
alerospeed2003

and i currently have a directed electronics alarm on my car too.......it has one of those key chain pagers........lol. i love it :gun2:
Old 03-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #16
alerospeed2003

good luck with your project here, and welcome to the site.......any questions? just ask!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #17
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

Ok, revision of the first parts list draft:

Head unit - Eclipse CD3434 - $199
4x6 - Eclipse SE8463A - $99
6x9 - Eclipse SE8493 - $159
Subwoofer - JL Audio 12W6v2 - $325
Sub amps - JL Audio 1000/1 - $700
Cabin Amp - JL Audio 300/4 - $400

If I cut out one of the subs, I'm at the same price range I was at before - under $2,000. I suppose I can just add the second sub later on.

So, jamcllw - am I getting closer to something pretty nice?
Thanks,
Collin
Old 03-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #18
jamcllw
GLS member

All that stuff is really nice and should sound really good. If you get one sub I would build a ported box for it so it will be a little bit louder than a sealed box. W6V2s sound good whether they are in a sealed or ported box. And unless you definatly plan on upgrading to 2 subs I would get the 500/1 instead of the 1000/1. That will save you some money and you won't blow up that sub with 1000 watts. If you do plan on getting another sub get the 1000/1 and go very easy on the gains. If it were me I'd just save up another $325 and go ahead an get 2 subs. If your doind your own installs hit up ebay and save some money on those Eclipse speakers.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #19
jiffy

Don't forget the cost of a box, amp install kit, and (possibly) installation. Those are mostly small potatoes at the $$ you are spending already, but if you are maxed out at $2000, don't forget to include everything you are going to need.

Also...shipping if you buy online.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #20
isellalerodrop

Basicly heres my whole set up right now and Im more than happy and this is just my prefrence so,

ALIPINE IVAD300 HEAD UNIT

PIONEER 4X6 AND 6X9

2 ROCKFORD 12' SUBS

2 PIONERR 750 AMPS

1 ROCKFORD CAP

like i said this is my set up and I love how it sounds. I will suggest any of these as part of your system.