Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
gre0481

OK, I've had these speakers just over a year now, they're 2003 models.
I have two subs. They were hooked up to a bazooka el1500 mono amp. Didn't know much, had the Good Guys install em (carlsbad, CA) I didn't change the way anything was wired, aside from upgrading the 8 guage wires to 4. My amp fried. What do you recommend to power these two subs in a sealed box? (ps, only one voice coil was wired up on each speaker.

EVery audio place seems to have a different level of expertise, and a different idea of what what/rms/ohm rated amp to pair with them.

This is an open topic on what people would advise to power
SWS-1242D 12" Type-S Series Subwoofer (4ohm+4ohm)
Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 900W
Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 300W
Frequency Response: 26Hz – 1kHz
Heavy-Duty 8ga Push Terminals with Connection Jumpers

The terminals were 8 guage. SHould I upgrade the speaker wire to 8 guage?

I'm a novice to amps and subs. ANy input is appreciated
Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
First you should go back to Good Guys and kick the installers in the nuts for just hooking up one voice coil.
Second find a good CEA rated amp between 600-800 watts @ either 1 or 4 Ohms. My personnal preference is Directed, Orion, Precision Power, Eclipse anything along those lines.

Warning: Shameless plug ahead.
I'm selling a Orion XTR Pro 1000 for $175 shipped to the lower 48 if your interested.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
gre0481

I'm guessing the 1 ohm would make the speakers work harder? would that resort in more power? effect distortion?

And how would I wire these two puppies to hook up to a 1 or 4 ohm load.

mono, 2 chan, 4 chan?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
kampfer422

well find an amp that will do something between 300-400RMS.....no way in hell you need something that will do 600-900RMS on a Type S. Max power I would put to it is 500RMS in a sealed box. Ported I would put maybe 350RMS to it. Just make sure the amp is ok at 1 or 2ohm load stable. If you're on a budget look to Hifonics or JBL 600.1 or like as they can be had for about 150$ or less and are reliable. If you want something more i'd look into USAmps, Elemental Designs, or maybe Cadence. Don't care much for the new Directed amps. Eclipse is good but sometimes pricey at shops.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
1 ohm does cause a little more distortion but at those frequencies it's barely audible. 1 ohm wouldn't make the speakers work harder but it would push most amps to the max. And as a general rule less resistance=more power.
To wire it into 1 ohm you would run parallel to each voice coil and for 4 ohms you would run series parallel. You want to match your amps power to the speakers power.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
gre0481

is this on a mono amp? Thinking the one ohm load is the way to go
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
kampfer422

its a D4 sub not a D2....he either gets 2ohm or 8ohm, not 1ohm and 4ohm. Is he getting 2????

lol....just read that you are looking for 2...so 1ohm stable or you can get a 4ohm load if you want. 1ohm isn't bad on distortion but you will need to make sure its well vented as it will run hot.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #8
gre0481

bump

Anymore input?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
TheSoundDemon
GX Member

TheSoundDemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSoundDemon Send a message via MSN to TheSoundDemon Send a message via Yahoo to TheSoundDemon
Again...what are you looking for...SPL or SQ? Because as a few people stated, some amps will perform great for SPL while others will perform great for SQ.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #10
kampfer422

did you ever find an amp? i now sell USAmps through a rep and can get them for a good price. The bass amps are a/b class full range and can power your two subs quite nicely.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
slver5speed

I have the same subs and i have them run pos to pos and neg to neg on the speaker and the neg and pos running to a mono amp a alpine mrp m350 awsome amp there rated perfect for the sub i suggest getting an amp for each sub there fairly cheap.I also i would look into a cap or batcap ask a local audio store what it is if you don't know. then after you figured out which one would be better for you people have different views on each of them.Then go look on ebay for your amps and stuff. It depends on what your looking to do with your system but you should have very decent system that isn't very costly.
look here anything and everything you want or need to know on car audio http://yardtv.gotdns.com/files/frytv/readi...oom/data_sheet/
Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #12
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Avoid the caps. You are better off spending the money on upgrading your alt or possibly adding a battery. Caps do very little for a system and virtually nothing for a alt that is already maxed out.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #13
kampfer422

spend the money to get a Red top or yellow top of similar. Caps are not the solve all problem and do very little to fix a electrical draw problem. The 105amp alty is good and can power a pretty hefty system. I run 1600RMS daily(not max so don't get these mixed up, 1600RMS is a lot to be pulling) off the 105 alty and have a little dimming. This will get solved though when i change to a larger alty. And i would not suggest going to ebay if i can get you amps. Ebay is good but offer no warranties and aren't always new even though stated. These USAmps are also very good amps and well worth the small price i can sell them at.