Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Derek588
GX Member

Derek588 is on a distinguished road
about speakers....

hi guys, i got my car in october of this year but didnt do much to it because of all the damn snow we got this winter(i live in canada lol). anyways now that the weather is better i want to get a nice sound system, amp, speakers, deck, ect. i have a 2001 alero(4door) does anyone know what size speakers are in the front doors and at the rear seats and for speakers whats better 2-way,3-way or 4-way. also if anyone has any good adive for me let me know. thanks
Derek588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
The front speakers are 4x6 and the rear deck speakers are 6x9. 4-way are gonna have the best sound quality, but you probably won't notice much of a difference with 3-way unless your going with top name brand.
As for the deck, when you ask people about it they are gonna say that you need a pretty expensive special harness. But if you don't care about having the door chimes, you don't need the special harness, just the regular one.
And, don't get anything Sony. You will be disappointed.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
pioneer headunit (or see if someone is selling a decent one for cheap on here... i think blackdog might still have his panasonic for sale)

soundstream speakers. i absolutely love that company now.

if you going to upgrade your speakers, do yourself a favor and get component speakers for the front.

if your a little weak on speaker knowledge, post up what your looking to get, and we'll let ya know if your wasting your money or not.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Onewing91
GX Member

Onewing91 is on a distinguished road
Here's what I got, sounds good too:
Jenson UV6 HU (7" Touch Screen)
Pioneer Blue Series 4-way 6x9's
MPL Audio subwoofers (12") and amp (800w) (some no-name brand, VERY CHEAP IN PRICE, good quality sound, beats my buddy's Pioneers)
I'm getting a bigger amp though, cuz this one sounds good, but a MTX terminator sounds better
Anyhow, I havent decided on front, but it seems to be a common thought here that (like cherrington said) component is the way to go.
Anyhow, good luck and post pics on anything you do with it man!

"I have a fever, and the only cure is more cowbell!"

3400 SFI V6 Mod: WAI, LEDs inside, 12" MPL Subs, Kenwood Amp, Clear Corners, nothing major
Onewing91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Derek588
GX Member

Derek588 is on a distinguished road
ok thanks for the input guys ill get back to you. ill look around and see what i like and whats good
Derek588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ok... 4 ways have better SQ that 3 ways?

Tell that to the top SQ competitors...

Components are the way to go, period. 3 way components to be exact.

But for most of us, a simple set of 2 way comps works perfect. A separate mid and tweet.

All boils down to budget. How much you got and what you expect.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
^if you don't watch yourself.... ryan will spend ALL of your money.

... AND make it sound like a really good idea.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Oh stop it. I could... But the simple fact is given price ranges and needs theres points of diminishing returns.

For instance if you only have $100 to toss at comps, theres only one real good choice: Cadence $75 comps.

$150- CDT Classic Comps

$170 Cadence CVL Comps (killer comps for the price IMHO)

and above that theres more. Hell I could spend $10,000 on a set of comps...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #9
BeeMain
GX Member

BeeMain is on a distinguished road
I have just finished collecting all my components for my system. Installing next week unless another blizzard shows up.

Anyways, I went the simple route of using replacement 4x6 2-ways in the front. I was going to go with 6-1/2 inch coaxial componets in the front doors but it turns out I had clearence issues (I think the 4 doors are a little tighter with the interior door skin vs the 2 doors). As seen on my post last Weekend. I don't have the time to spend on it so replacements it is

Anyways, check www.kijiji.ca or www.kijiji.com and look for equipment that people have bought but never installed. or they have used but are moving on to another car or something. I picked up everything at 1/4 the retail price. People will accept your low ball offer too, you might be surprised. Try www.hifisoundconnection.com for power wire, fuse blocks and speaker wire, excellent prices and service.

Best part is NO SALES PEOPLE!!!

Last edited by BeeMain : 04-20-2008 at 11:41 PM.
BeeMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I put in Pionieer all around becuase my stockers were shot.

Direct fit 4x6 (2 way I think) in the front and 6x9 in the rear (3 ways)

I still have a stock HD.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

^ depends on how big of a system your looking for. if you want big/loud gotta go component. if your sticking with some stock parts (like headunit) then just speaker replacement will work.

and for cabling check http://www.knukonceptz.com/index.cfm## ryanfromohio showed me that site and they have some great product at low prices. (and low shipping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMain View Post
Anyways, I went the simple route of using replacement 4x6 2-ways in the front. I was going to go with 6-1/2 inch coaxial componets in the front doors but it turns out I had clearence issues (I think the 4 doors are a little tighter with the interior door skin vs the 2 doors). As seen on my post last Weekend. I don't have the time to spend on it so replacements it is

I had to tear out the little corner piece that holds the door in (3 plastic "towers" with a metal center clip) in order to get my 6.5s in, with a standoff harness. the first door took some time due to doing the work on my back, looking up into the door, but the second was quick and easy cuz i knew what had to come out.