Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
estalero
GX Member

estalero is on a distinguished road
help with shock bearings

I don't know if this is the correct term in English.

Anyway, my left shock bearing is gone. It makes noise while turning wheels for significant amount when maneuvering. And sometimes it will stay in tension and will pull car to one side while driving straight.

Local US car shop told me that it is shock bearing, which I agree, but the quote for parts and repair was very expensive, so I had to put it off for now.

So I would like to ask how to I locate this part and shock rubber cover from parts catalogue like rockauto.com, as I could not find it? Once I locate the parts number then I will search for the parts dealer that would send parts internationally and see if I can get parts cheaper than my local shop.

And is it impossible to replace those myself? I think it is, as I probably need special tools to compress the spring and shock, which I don't have? I’ve never done suspension job myself before.
estalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
You may find replacing the entire strut assembly cheaper and easier than just doing the upper strut bearing (which it'll say "strut" if it IS a bearing ... if it is just a shock, there's no bearing because it doesn't turn!)

You'll certainly find it EASIER than just doing the bearing.

Since you didn't say what year Alero you have, I just picked 2000 ...

Ah. RockAuto (the US site) lists it as a strut mount for the front. The upper strut mount if you see more than one of them. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7600

That has them down to $18 each, but you do need to disassemble / reassemble the entire strut assembly to swap.

OTOH, you can pick up Monroe quick-strut assemblies for about $60 at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...parttype=15174 . I did the parts swap rebuild - next strut assembly I touch, I'll probably buy the entire thing, it's a lot easier and a lot quicker.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
estalero
GX Member

Thanks, Ralph!

As I have not done spring/strut job myself before, do I need spring compressor for this work?

Does the car need front wheel alignment after that job, as my local US car specialized shop said?

My Alero is 2001 btw. But I can locate the parts myself now, as you helped me with correct term to search for.

I was quoted for 71€ / ~$90 for ONE strut bearing here, not including the work. (I am in Europe). Ofcourse if I order directly from US, I also need to pay for shipping and taxes, but still, it would me much cheaper. Because of the weight and shipping costs it would get very expensive to get the entire assembly though. I would not dare to ask what they ask for entire assembly here locally

Last edited by estalero : 02-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by estalero View Post
Thanks, Ralph!

As I have not done spring/strut job myself before, do I need spring compressor for this work?

Does the car need front wheel alignment after that job, as my local US car specialized shop said?

My Alero is 2001 btw. But I can locate the parts myself now, as you helped me with correct term to search for.

I was quoted for 71€ / ~$90 for ONE strut bearing here, not including the work. (I am in Europe). Ofcourse if I order directly from US, I also need to pay for shipping and taxes, but still, it would me much cheaper. Because of the weight and shipping costs it would get very expensive to get the entire assembly though. I would not dare to ask what they ask for entire assembly here locally

Yes, you need a spring compressor.....it's very dangerous working with them cause they are under A LOT of pressure. Yes, you will need an alignment. Try going to rockauto.com and see what they charge....hopefully they ship overseas...i don't know though. Like you said the shipping is crazy but if you are just getting the bearing i suggest you get the other side too....do both at once. Then you will just need a front end alignment.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Again, if the upper bearing (or "front strut mount") is bad, I'd lay odds on the struts not being too far behind - I'd go for a quick strut, which not only is faster, but avoids the need for a spring compressor.

Yes, you'll need an alignment.

$90 for one upper strut mount? Whee-yoo! I thought this stuff was expensive HERE ...

You can take the manufacturer's part numbers off the RockAuto listing and see what you can get them for there. I mean, KYB and Sachs are both European brands ANYWAY ... Monroe is from a US company, but they sell world wide. Dunno about Raybestos anymore. Due to some of the cars that use Sachs parts, I'd take a hard look at those and KYB if you're looking for the quick struts (which are a strut, a spring, and the upper and lower mounts, already assembled and tested as a unit. Easy. Two bolts down low, three up high, and the old one's out. Reverse and then get the car aligned.)

But that's my five cents worth (2 cents plus inflation).

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
how-to strut replacement: http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35460
Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
estalero
GX Member

thanks for your help, guys!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but you can get the shock/strut combo and the spring for $100 or so at A1auto.com

After that, it's plug and play and then you go for an alignment.

I personally believe it's worth to do it. You just take the 3 bolts off in the hood and the bolts holding the knuckle in.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
mrmike
GL Member

mrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
An alignment isnt really necessary as nothing that you disconnect to change the struts is adjustable. As long as you don't touch the tie rods you can get away without an alignment. I've had my strut assemblies off five or six times and she still runs straight with no abnormal tire wear. If you are slightly out though, you can easily do your own wheel alignment. I've done it a few times, just google it. Almost every performance car forum has a tutorial on how to do it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
estalero
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but you can get the shock/strut combo and the spring for $100 or so at A1auto.com

I'm no professional mechanic, but I do now my way around tools. Over the years I have bought all of the basic and some not so basic tools that are needed to fix a car.

But as I live in europe and my budget is tight right now, the shipping cost of whole strut/spring combo will be as high as the price itself, plus taxes on whole sum. So right now I am not going that way. I'll just find a place to borrow spring compressor.

Graham's link was one i really needed. PS I have the exact symptoms described in that thread.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by estalero View Post
I'm no professional mechanic, but I do now my way around tools. Over the years I have bought all of the basic and some not so basic tools that are needed to fix a car.

But as I live in europe and my budget is tight right now, the shipping cost of whole strut/spring combo will be as high as the price itself, plus taxes on whole sum. So right now I am not going that way. I'll just find a place to borrow spring compressor.

Graham's link was one i really needed. PS I have the exact symptoms described in that thread.

So how much does a quick strut or strut mount cost shipped to Estonia?

I'm guessing this much:
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
An alignment isnt really necessary as nothing that you disconnect to change the struts is adjustable. As long as you don't touch the tie rods you can get away without an alignment. I've had my strut assemblies off five or six times and she still runs straight with no abnormal tire wear. If you are slightly out though, you can easily do your own wheel alignment. I've done it a few times, just google it. Almost every performance car forum has a tutorial on how to do it.

not true. look at my how-to. my alignment was spot on before i replaced my front struts. you can effect camber which is going to effect the knuckle. if the top of the knuckle is pushed in, its going to shorten the distance between the tierods and therefore cause toe in. same goes for pulling the strut out and causing toe-out.