Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
2001 Malibu O2 Sensor Extension

Guys,

Where can I get an extension (plug and play) for the o2 sensor?

Especially curious to hear where the Canadian folks get this (if there's anything local).

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
amazon and ebay come to mind. Or make your own out of old connectors, wire, and wire-loom.

When i did my IAT senor, i just cut it in the middle and added two wires. Taped it up and it been going fine for the last 2 years. Twist and tape is the only way to do wire connections
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???

Last edited by rocketfast321 : 04-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Canadian View Post
Guys,

Especially curious to hear where the Canadian folks get this (if there's anything local).

Thanks!

Mike

should work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00133...-fkmr1&pi=SL75

heres one that may be a bit shorter.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cei-109006
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfast321 View Post
amazon and ebay come to mind. Or make your own out of old connectors, wire, and wire-loom.

When i did my IAT senor, i just cut it in the middle and added two wires. Taped it up and it been going fine for the last 2 years. Twist and tape is the only way to do wire connections

based off what was said in an earlier thread even soldering it will mess up the signal...you shouldn't redo a wire without soldering or at least using the connectors, otherwise it is just waiting to slip apart.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Yeah,

I think the O2 relies on resistance in the wire as well if I recall correctly?

Thanks guys
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah,

I think the O2 relies on resistance in the wire as well if I recall correctly?

Thanks guys

I know that's been said, but I highly doubt it. I have not seen any theoretical basis for it. In any event, a well-made splice (twisted and/or soldered) should not affect performance as much as an extension cable would. Every plug-in connector adds a little resistance, and different metals at the junctions can be detrimental over time. I have used crimped connectors to extend the post-CAT O2 sensor for years with no codes, but the upstream O2 throws codes just from headers being installed, using stock wiring.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a home done extended o2. Works fine.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
I know that's been said, but I highly doubt it. I have not seen any theoretical basis for it. In any event, a well-made splice (twisted and/or soldered) should not affect performance as much as an extension cable would. Every plug-in connector adds a little resistance, and different metals at the junctions can be detrimental over time. I have used crimped connectors to extend the post-CAT O2 sensor for years with no codes, but the upstream O2 throws codes just from headers being installed, using stock wiring.

It's not the resistance, it's the clean air reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Heated Oxygen Sensor Wiring Repairs
Tools Required

J-38125 Terminal Repair Kit

Notice: Do not solder repairs under any circumstances as this could result in the air reference being obstructed.

If the heated oxygen sensor pigtail wiring, connector, or terminal is damaged the entire oxygen sensor assembly must be replaced. Do not attempt to repair the wiring, connector, or terminals. In order for the sensor to function properly it must have a clean air reference. This clean air reference is obtained by way of the oxygen sensor signal and heater wires. Any attempt to repair the wires, connectors or terminals could result in the obstruction of the air reference and degrade oxygen sensor performance.

The following guidelines should be used when servicing the heated oxygen sensor:

• Do not apply contact cleaner or other materials to the sensor or vehicle harness connectors. These materials may get into the sensor, causing poor performance. Also, the sensor pigtail and harness wires must not be damaged in such a way that the wires inside are exposed. This could provide a path for foreign materials to enter the sensor and cause performance problems.
• Neither the sensor nor vehicle lead wires should be bent sharply or kinked. Sharp bends, kinks, etc., could block the reference air path through the lead wire.
• Do not remove or defeat the oxygen sensor ground wire (where applicable). Vehicles that utilize the ground wire sensor may rely on this ground as the only ground contact to the sensor. Removal of the ground wire will also cause poor engine performance.
• To prevent damage due to water intrusion, be sure that the peripheral seal remains intact on the vehicle harness connector.
The engine harness may be repaired using the J-38125 .

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks!

Mike

http://www.casperselectronics.com/
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
It's not the resistance, it's the clean air reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Heated Oxygen Sensor Wiring Repairs
Tools Required

J-38125 Terminal Repair Kit

Notice: Do not solder repairs under any circumstances as this could result in the air reference being obstructed.

If the heated oxygen sensor pigtail wiring, connector, or terminal is damaged the entire oxygen sensor assembly must be replaced. Do not attempt to repair the wiring, connector, or terminals. In order for the sensor to function properly it must have a clean air reference. This clean air reference is obtained by way of the oxygen sensor signal and heater wires. Any attempt to repair the wires, connectors or terminals could result in the obstruction of the air reference and degrade oxygen sensor performance.

The following guidelines should be used when servicing the heated oxygen sensor:

• Do not apply contact cleaner or other materials to the sensor or vehicle harness connectors. These materials may get into the sensor, causing poor performance. Also, the sensor pigtail and harness wires must not be damaged in such a way that the wires inside are exposed. This could provide a path for foreign materials to enter the sensor and cause performance problems.

I have dissected one of those assemblies, and found nothing but ordinary wire with insulation, with the exception of the case ground wire and the sensor lead, which appear to be stainless steel. I can believe there may be a concern to not shoot contact cleaner at the sensor end, but there is no way it could find its way into the sensor from the plug end.

The wires are crimp-on terminals at the plug end, crimped and soldered inside the sensor case. Other than the need to maintain secure (low resistance) connections, there appears to be nothing remarkable about them. The only difficulty would be soldering non-copper wire leads, but the external plug has only crimp-ons, too.

I can understand not wanting to repair a damaged connection close to the sensor case. But as for "Do not solder repairs under any circumstances as this could result in the air reference being obstructed," I still don't see a technical basis for that statement.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
rocketfast321
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post

based off what was said in an earlier thread even soldering it will mess up the signal...you shouldn't redo a wire without soldering or at least using the connectors, otherwise it is just waiting to slip apart.

You could always use do a ohm test on the wire to see is if the resistance increases.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen way to many wiring connections done that way fail because they slipped apart under the tape
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
rocketfast321
GL Member

Call me the odd ball, but i have never solder a connection on my car. I only use a connector if needed. Other than that, i pull a fuse stick the wire in and I'm done.