Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
adl
GX Member

adl is on a distinguished road
Replacing the stock head unit in a 2003 sedan alero

Hello all, I have a 2003 sedan alero. I recently bought a http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDA-9884 (Alpine aftermarket head unit).

I bought it at a bestbuy and I checked on the website before buying it and it said that it will fit my car. I looked on crutchfield and it said it doesn't fit my car? Any suggestions on who is right and if it doesn't fit my car what is a good headunit at bestbuy that I can get for about 200 bucks?

Anyways, say the alpine headunit fits. What EXACTLY do I need to have it installed and working perfectly? I really don't know anything about aftermarket audio. I heard you need a dash install kit, wiring harness, antenna and the thing that keeps your chimes on?

Please list exactly what items I need to do this on my own and where I can find them. And also how to install an aftermarket headunit in my 2003 sedan alero.

I have a few friends who are willing to help out. If this doesn't work out I think I might just have bestbuy install it but the thing is the audio guy said that the other stuff I need to connect it to my car will be about another 50 bucks and another 50 bucks for installation. So i'm trying to save 100 bucks where I seen most of this stuff at walmart for about 30-40.

Should I just have bestbuy do it or can I save some money with your guys' help??

Thanks to anyone for any advice that you can give me, PEACE!
adl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
SInce u dont know how to hook it up, have bestbuy do it for u

Its relatively plug and play really if u have the right harness, mine was different cuz I bought my headunit from a friend who took it out of his truck before he sold it so I had to wire up each wire by hand and that wasnt fun at all.

Last edited by MixtapeMessiah : 01-25-2009 at 11:35 PM.
MixtapeMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
adl
GX Member

If I can't get anyone to give me any info on how to do this project I will probably have best buy do it but the thing is I don't want to spend that extra 100 bucks. SO if I can get any information on this site i'm sure me and my av buds can do this. I just need to know the exact parts I need to install my aftermarket head unit and how to install it.

But nontheless thanks MixtapeMessiah.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
search for it in the search tab bro, Im sure theres countless how-to's
Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Ok, fairly straight forward here.

Please note I prefer quality products.

American International or Metra Fit kit, wiring harness adapter, chime module and you need an antenna adapter.

If you want to go on the cheap you can get the Scosche wiring harness adapter, chime module and antenna adapter @ Wal Mart. I DO NOT like Scosche fit kits. They are thin and never seem to fit real good.

I like American International products the best. They are better than Metra even...

You can get Metra @ Best Buy, but I would buy online or contact Car Godz here and ask for what you want. Hes a dealer.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/member.php?u=6360
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Ok, fairly straight forward here.

Please note I prefer quality products.

American International or Metra Fit kit, wiring harness adapter, chime module and you need an antenna adapter.

If you want to go on the cheap you can get the Scosche wiring harness adapter, chime module and antenna adapter @ Wal Mart. I DO NOT like Scosche fit kits. They are thin and never seem to fit real good.

I like American International products the best. They are better than Metra even...

You can get Metra @ Best Buy, but I would buy online or contact Car Godz here and ask for what you want. Hes a dealer.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/member.php?u=6360

dood, if you come to ass, ill bring a stereo, plz install?
Nate's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

We could have a good Q&A session.

Ya I could manage that.

And if anyone needs products and buys from Car Godz I can bring them also.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
itsbmw

I can do radio installs also, but if Ryan is there have him do it I can help you run amp wiring kits RCA's remote wires, switches, etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wondering. Do you "need" the harness withe the chimes? Or can you use a pre chime alero harness? Are there any other differences in the harnesses besides the chime?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
here's a list of the parts I used to install mine.

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.aspx?mk=Oldsmobile&mkid=26&md=Alero& mdid=704&yrg=2001%20-%202004
Part Numbers:
BKGMK420 (Install kit)
GMCO (Harness with Chime module) this is from Peripheral Electronics but is available through bestkits.com
BAA4B (Antenna Adapter)
I didn't order my parts online I got them through Best Buy but that is the site they use for all the install kits they use/sell.

your also going to want a Philips head screwdriver, something like a flat head screwdriver to remove the trim around the factory head unit, wire cutters, a wire stripper, a soldering iron and a good electrical solder, Heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, and maybe some zip ties.

Last edited by AbHeLlRaZoR : 01-26-2009 at 09:45 PM.
AbHeLlRaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
^add 10mm socket to get the radio out/back in.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley olds View Post
Just wondering. Do you "need" the harness withe the chimes? Or can you use a pre chime alero harness? Are there any other differences in the harnesses besides the chime?

yes you can use a "pre-chime" harness the only difference is you won't have chimes. but i did see at walmart the other day that schoshe makes a lil $20 module you can add in on top of the cheap harness that will also let you keep chimes, and you don't need the expensive harness.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
jayson_waltz:yes you can use a "pre-chime" harness the only difference is you won't have chimes. but i did see at walmart the other day that schoshe makes a lil $20 module you can add in on top of the cheap harness that will also let you keep chimes, and you don't need the expensive harness.

Nice! Hopefully Ill install the stereo in a couple weeks.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #14
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_waltz View Post
yes you can use a "pre-chime" harness the only difference is you won't have chimes. but i did see at walmart the other day that schoshe makes a lil $20 module you can add in on top of the cheap harness that will also let you keep chimes, and you don't need the expensive harness.

Thats what I was talking 'bout
Old 01-28-2009, 02:28 AM   #15
adl
GX Member

You guys are soo cool, thanks alot!

AbHeLlRaZoR I added up all that stuff that you got and it was around $230 extra dollars and another $50 for the installation fee. I will probably have Best Buy install it for me for the $50 but there is no way i'm going to buy all that premium stuff. That's like buying another head unit, ridic.

Anyways, hook it up with the code numbers for the Walmart Scosche items, i'd rather have this due to the cheap price.

Last edited by adl : 01-28-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #16
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Goto Scosche's site or wal mart and get them yourself.

By the time you try to E bay your gonna pay more because of shipping.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
You guys are soo cool, thanks alot!

AbHeLlRaZoR I added up all that stuff that you got and it was around $230 extra dollars and another $50 for the installation fee. I will probably have Best Buy install it for me for the $50 but there is no way i'm going to buy all that premium stuff. That's like buying another head unit, ridic.

Anyways, hook it up with the code numbers for the Walmart Scosche items, i'd rather have this due to the cheap price.
Can't say I didn't try