Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > Forced Induction Performance

Old 04-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #1
00redse
GX Member

00redse is an unknown quantity at this point
How did GM/Magnuson tune m62 3400 ?

I searched but couldn't find an answer

How did the original m62 3400 guys cars read boost and add fuel? Weren't they available as a dealer add on with a CARB sticker and all?

Pardon me if this is a silly question. My knowledge of the subject is mostly limited to the 2.4 and the m45 s/c kit. I know they just got a 2 bar map sensor and bigger injectors with a reflash.

So is/was there a reflash for the m62 3.4 setups?

I have a turbo 3400 which was boosted/tuned before I bought it. It runs well, but I'm looking into my options for changes with future upgrades. I will have hptuners available to me.

Advice and knowledge appreciated.
00redse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00redse View Post
I searched but couldn't find an answer

How did the original m62 3400 guys cars read boost and add fuel? Weren't they available as a dealer add on with a CARB sticker and all?

Pardon me if this is a silly question. My knowledge of the subject is mostly limited to the 2.4 and the m45 s/c kit. I know they just got a 2 bar map sensor and bigger injectors with a reflash.

So is/was there a reflash for the m62 3.4 setups?

I have a turbo 3400 which was boosted/tuned before I bought it. It runs well, but I'm looking into my options for changes with future upgrades. I will have hptuners available to me.

Advice and knowledge appreciated.

The kits were claimed to be "49-state legal" as far as emissions.

A rising-rate regulator was included with the kit, and it was intended for low boost, up to about 6 psi, for 1999-2001 models. Reflashes were not recommended at the time.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
00redse
GX Member

Thank you.

It seems the v6 crowd really got the short end of the stick. No OS that reads boost. No manual trans option. Really gotta work for it if you want those things on the v6 models. I really think the aftermarket would've been much greater if there was a manual option and a real option for boost that the pcm could read.

So, what do most people do to run more boost? Can we fake a 2 bar MAP sensor setup and ditch the MAF?

My knowledge on hptuners is limited, but from my understanding on the 2.4 it's "alpha n" based until you do the s/c reflash, then it makes it "speed density" based.

So what is the v6? Alpha n? or is it something altogether different since it has the MAF? Does the MAF control spark or fuel or both?

Apologies for my tuning noob questions.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
There's some more discussion here:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...t=spark+tables

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?p=516593&highlight=scan+graph#post5 16593

I'm told "Tiny Tuner" may be useful, but I've not used it....
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
00redse
GX Member

Thanks again.

So, questions that comes to mind;

If I understand correctly
When you delete the MAF, it goes into Speed Density mode.
This causes hard shifts.
and http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=11 are you saying it maxes out the spark tables when you remove the MAF?

What other side effects are there from removing the MAF?
If nothing, couldn't someone who swapped a manual trans just remove the MAF, and use some MSD Box setup for spark, and then use hptuners to scale the MAP values for a 2 Bar MAP?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00redse View Post
Thanks again.

So, questions that comes to mind;

If I understand correctly
When you delete the MAF, it goes into Speed Density mode.
This causes hard shifts.
and http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=11 are you saying it maxes out the spark tables when you remove the MAF?

What other side effects are there from removing the MAF?
If nothing, couldn't someone who swapped a manual trans just remove the MAF, and use some MSD Box setup for spark, and then use hptuners to scale the MAP values for a 2 Bar MAP?

The 1-bar MAP sensor maxes out first, then the Spark Table. The MAF sensor will actually read a considerable amount of boosted air mass before it maxes out, and you can also upgrade to an LS1 MAF. So, about 10-12 psi is the limit. The MAP is technically the limiting factor, but caused me no great drivability or performance problems. Other than inconvenience of tuning and positioning it, MAF is not that much of a problem for me.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
AleroB888
GLS member

More info on modes of operation that are possible:

https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...8009#post68009
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Just take it to UMS, they'll sort it out. I wouldn't try to do a fake 2 bar as my first tuning challenge.

OEMs use their own tuning software at the test facilities, but that typically isn't available for the general public to use, ever.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
00redse
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I wouldn't try to do a fake 2 bar as my first tuning challenge.

I don't think it will be. I'm planning to first boost my 2.4 and put the gm reflash on it with the GM s/c injectors on low boost. Then get those bigger injectors I got from you dialed in on it before turning up the boost on it.

Then I'll be tinkering with the turbo 3400. It runs pretty good (as you've seen) but at some point I'm gonna want more from it, and/or the auto trans is gonna get tired. So, I'm perusing my options, and it seems that the MAF is a finnicky sob which I wouldn't mind getting rid of if it allows me to make the car read boost and tune a higher boost level easier.

Seems like a lot of the v8 folks delete the MAF so that they can tune in Speed Density mode, so why the heck wouldn't it work in a manual swapped v6?
It's a bit of an undertaking to do it, and then find out there's something else limiting it from working.