Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Bob
GX Member

Bob is on a distinguished road
Question 1997 Alero 6 cylinders Help

Hi
I am new to this. I am thinking of getting a 1997 6cylinder sedan dark green
I know nothing about Aleros What are owners coments major complaints ect Plus Aleros came out in 1998 This is a 1997 6 cylinder I can not get any more information because they only list from 1998 and only 4 cylinders
Bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
the first model year for the alero was 1999 released in 1998...post a link to the listing if you would and people could probably help a little more
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hi
I am new to this. I am thinking of getting a 1997 6cylinder sedan dark green
I know nothing about Aleros What are owners coments major complaints ect Plus Aleros came out in 1998 This is a 1997 6 cylinder I can not get any more information because they only list from 1998 and only 4 cylinders
Bob

As mentioned above Model years for Aleros span from 1999-2004
There were 3 different engines used in Aleros in total
From 1999-2004 the 3.4L V6 "3400 SFI"
From 1999-2001 the 2.4L LD9 Quad 4 engine
From 2002-2004 the 2.2L L61 Ecotec

Since you're talking about getting a V6 here are some details.

Early model V6 Aleros I think 1999-2002ish Have a lower intake manifold gasket issues. It was a major recall on GM's part for any of their vehicles with these engines or similar engines. If the vehicle you're looking at didn't have this gasket replaced then I suggest not even bother looking at it.

The 6 cylinder is a pretty decent engine otherwise. It has a decent amount of pep and is pretty reliable. Fuel mileage isn't the greatest, but you expect that from a V6. My V6 made it to 281,000 KM (175,xxx miles) without any major repairs before I replaced it. I've gone through 1 power steering line, 2 power steering pumps, 1 fuel pump and 1 water pump in the 12 years that my Alero has been in my family. Sounds like a lot, but I've seen worse on other cars newer than mine.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing with 6 cylinders that is remotely related to an Alero made in 1997 is a Cutlass... not the Cutlass Supreme, Ciera, or whatever else they slapped next to that name, just a normal "Cutlass" that looks like a 1997 Malibu. The only relation to an Alero is that it had the same chassis (N body). Even so, that car would have a 3100 not a 3400. Anyways, Alero's aren't bad cars, just check their brakes, make sure that the pedal is firm and doesn't go to the floor, ask if the timing chain and LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gaskets have been changed, and if so when, ask for a carfax (not that it helps 100% but its a good general idea). other than that just make sure it doesn't smell or make weird noises and you should have a good daily driver. If you live in a emission state then ask when's the last time it was performed, same with inspection. Then of course make sure that no glass is broken, dents are a minimum and no burnt lights. Those aren't points to walk away from, but they will fail inspection for that.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
The only thing with 6 cylinders that is remotely related to an Alero made in 1997 is a Cutlass... not the Cutlass Supreme, Ciera, or whatever else they slapped next to that name, just a normal "Cutlass" that looks like a 1997 Malibu. The only relation to an Alero is that it had the same chassis (N body). Even so, that car would have a 3100 not a 3400. Anyways, Alero's aren't bad cars, just check their brakes, make sure that the pedal is firm and doesn't go to the floor, ask if the timing chain and LIM (Lower Intake Manifold) gaskets have been changed, and if so when, ask for a carfax (not that it helps 100% but its a good general idea). other than that just make sure it doesn't smell or make weird noises and you should have a good daily driver. If you live in a emission state then ask when's the last time it was performed, same with inspection. Then of course make sure that no glass is broken, dents are a minimum and no burnt lights. Those aren't points to walk away from, but they will fail inspection for that.

True. He may have typo'd the year though. Keep in mind that the 3100 and 3400 are virtually the same thing with many of the same issues and lots of common parts. Just check the coolant for oil. Be sure that it's green. Ask if the owner knows if the Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets have been replaced and if so, when and does he have documentation. Check the brakes and have the wheel hubs inspected. Otherwise you should be good. I will warn you that IF it is indeed a 97 Cutlass, I would think twice before purchasing the car. Parts are tough to find for the body and interior and the finish is kind of cheap. So long as it appears to be well maintained though you should be looking at a solid daily driver.
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisdad View Post
True. He may have typo'd the year though. Keep in mind that the 3100 and 3400 are virtually the same thing with many of the same issues and lots of common parts. Just check the coolant for oil. Be sure that it's green. Ask if the owner knows if the Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets have been replaced and if so, when and does he have documentation. Check the brakes and have the wheel hubs inspected. Otherwise you should be good. I will warn you that IF it is indeed a 97 Cutlass, I would think twice before purchasing the car. Parts are tough to find for the body and interior and the finish is kind of cheap. So long as it appears to be well maintained though you should be looking at a solid daily driver.

That is valid. I just wanted to take out the possibility of that since some people mistakenly call one car another... same way many people have called the Sunfire a Sunbird or mix up their model names. It happens lol

I thought GM started using Dexcool in 1996 though? If so, shouldn't the coolant be red?
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #7
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
Quote:
That is valid. I just wanted to take out the possibility of that since some people mistakenly call one car another... same way many people have called the Sunfire a Sunbird or mix up their model names. It happens lol

I thought GM started using Dexcool in 1996 though? If so, shouldn't the coolant be red?

Good point, but then GM issued a recall for the Dexcool a few years ago and many cars were converted to standard green or universal yellow. But good call. Look for oil swirls if it has Dexcool in it still.

I miss the sunbird and cavalier... back to my z24 hunt...
My screen name should be changed to Jizzdaddy. I was anally raped by flying monkeys and loved it. I promise to never threaten anyones daughters again because I know it will result in my ahoe being severely widened. - Did Andy just say that he wants to fk my ahoe... ewww. Sorry old man, but you're not my type.
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Gross
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Quote:
Good point, but then GM issued a recall for the Dexcool a few years ago and many cars were converted to standard green or universal yellow. But good call. Look for oil swirls if it has Dexcool in it still.

So is GM still using Dexcool? I know my Camaro had it when I bought it, and I've been using Dexcool in it since then.
1996 Infiniti G20
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
Quote:
So is GM still using Dexcool? I know my Camaro had it when I bought it, and I've been using Dexcool in it since then.

96ish to current