Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Help Kayle's Grand Am

well, my friend Kayle has a 1999 Grand Am with the 2.4 and its having some issues. she (being a girl who's all about appearances) is embarrased of her car because it doesn't run very well. i told her that i would look at it and see if i could get it to run a little better but i have no clue on where to start with a 2.4. I want to do a tune up including spark plugs, oil change, air filter change, and a tire rotation. I'm not screwing with the coolant because the car has never over-heated. Anyway, am i missing anything? also, how do I get to the spark plugs and what kind of oil filter does it take. p.s. the car has 116,000 miles and the original spark plugs so i think its due for some maintenance.

symptoms that car is having:
shuttering, rough idle, hesitation, slow acceleration, takes alot to start (she has to pump the gas pedal)

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Fuel filter. Follow the wires to the spark plugs. I usually just check the book at Murray's for the filter #. Get some fuel system/injector cleaner while you're there.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
There's no "wires" on the LD9... it's an integrated direct ignition, there's coilpacks under the IDI cover and the spark plugs touch springs inside rubber boots.

It's most likely definitely the spark plugs. You use a 13mm socket and remove the 4 bolts holding the IDI cover. Unplug the wire harness on the right side. Pull off the IDI cover. There they are. Replace them with NGK TR55.

Go buy her a WAI, convince her for $40-50 it increases MPG, sound, and performance. Can't go wrong.

And LMFAO at "she has to pump the gas pedal" these aren't effin carbureted. Opening and closing the throttle body butterfly isn't going to do shit. Her spark plugs are trash.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

^^you'd be surprised...like, i went to move it for her the other day and it wouldn't start. she come up to me and says "you have to pump the gas pedal while you turn the key" and she gets in and does it and it starts. so i think i'll add some fuel injector cleaner to the list. i think a WAI is a no but i'm planning on getting an ACDelco filter for the stock airbox. i think its mostly the spark plugs because mine in my 3400 were trash at 92K.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
agreed, should be what 2 or 3 bolts on top of the vavle cover, i would do plugs, fuel filter, change the oil, and i agree do a wai, i would change the coolant if it never was changed, it wont hurt nothing
maybe clean the injectors, clean the throttle body
see what happens
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
sounds like plugs, oil filters and a can of seafoam.

get on it!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't use Seafoam. I have never and will never use that. Many poor reviews and other damage caused by using it. 187,900 miles, 31 MPG highway 80-90MPH. No reason to be putting in a bunch of random chemicals in your engine that causes catalytic converter, spark plug, and oil contamination/failure just so you can clean off all the seals in the engine and possibly because of that cause leaks that were held at bay by buildup. Lol.

If it starts when she has the throttle body open it may be that it's running rich and not getting enough air, and when it's opened it allows a lot more air to start the engine.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

lol, i just messaged her on myspace saying that I'm initiating a full-on attack of the grand-am.

the car's been through alot. its been rolled twice (she lives by alot of big ditches) and she got rear-ended bad in a parking lot last may. the car's had a tough life so i think its time to give it some TLC

Old 09-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
misslindseysue
MINIac

misslindseysue is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to misslindseysue
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
There's no "wires" on the LD9... it's an integrated direct ignition, there's coilpacks under the IDI cover and the spark plugs touch springs inside rubber boots.

Ok, I deserve that for guessing about an engine I've never cared to look that closely at.

Funny story... couple weeks ago I had a customer who said "my husband said to ask you where the spark plugs were, he wanted to change them." Of course it had a pretty engine cover and I didn't have a screw driver, so I just told her that they'd have to take that off, and check the owner's manual for how to change them. But... maybe you should just take it to someone else if you have to ask something like that.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #10
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
Answer:

oil filter Ph3506 / alternative filter is a ph3675 and with this filter you can run the full 5qts of oil since is a larger filter.

Oil capacity is 4.5qts 5w30.

air filter is CA8221.

fuel filter is ff4508.

there is no pcv valve.

sparkplugs autolite ap606.

o2 sensor is bosh 12014 but there are 2 diferent ones for the 2.4 but is only on the 99 that it can either have a single wire or a 2 wire.

serpentine belt is 475k5.

For the spark plug "wires" you can go to any autoparts store and go to their help section and get them off the shelf wich are alot cheaper then getting them behind the counter, off the shelve will be like 15 bucks and behind the counter will be 20 and up.

Well hope this helps, basicly you have alot to do there buddy... atleast once you are done with it it will be brand new( while you are at it take the throttle body off and clean the crap out of it, those like to get very dirty and im sure it has never been done also empty the oil out from the air box thats connected to the throttle also) HAVE FUN... dont worrie its very easy to do.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

^^thank you very much. that was a very helpful post

Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
hit it yet?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 AM   #13
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
^^thank you very much. that was a very helpful post

no problem