-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
god yo ustill dont have those on.....sheesh
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #22
blueolds01
GX Member

blueolds01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blueolds01
i have to agree with billy, i like the way it sounds. a 4cyl will never sound like my v6. thats one of the only reasons i got the car...it had a v6.
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/s104-banger
videos-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvkbtiBirVo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnmqBZkdmAM
blueolds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
-Alero-
GLS member

turbo 4 > n/a v6
Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #24
protocol7
GX Member

protocol7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alero- View Post
turbo 4 > n/a v6

uber generalization. There are many examples of N/A V6s that are superior to turbo 4 cyls.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
pushrod just doesnt cut it when it comes to the ease of power a DOHC can make. there are so many 4 cyclinders bone stock that leave the factory that will out perform the LA1 any day,

That must be why the saleen s7 has a dohc engine...Sorry just had to kid there

You're quite true though, my brothers 4 cyl honda civic produces 30 less horsepower than my alero and I'm pretty mad about that because he can drive like crap and still save more gas than me.

Last edited by GoldStar611 : 05-29-2008 at 05:43 PM.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol7 View Post
uber generalization. There are many examples of N/A V6s that are superior to turbo 4 cyls.
not in this car

i haven't seen an N/A V6 run the 8s that a turbo four can yet.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #27
blueolds01
GX Member

blueolds01 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to blueolds01
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
not in this car

i haven't seen an N/A V6 run the 8s that a turbo four can yet.

yet is the key word...hahaha!!!

honestly its everyones opinion. we could for pages on this topic.
-'97 s10 4.3 v6, alpine head unit, camaro rims, 2.5" cat-back w/Edelbrock SDT, Edelbrock TES headers, HPPIII, and 8mm taylor wires. 15.505@87.42mph

http://www.cardomain.com/id/s104-banger
videos-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvkbtiBirVo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WnmqBZkdmAM
blueolds01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #28
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
LA1 not that great of a motor anyways, if i could take anything back i would of gone with the 2.2 ecotec with the 5 speed manual.......for the biggest aftermarket, fuel mileage, reliability and ease to work on

Yep..... Don't we all wish this.

I just hate OHV engines, its not the 3400 engine itself I hate, I just wish it was a OHC (dual preferrerd)
Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #29
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
I run low 7's stock.. idk about you guys... lol
Old 06-05-2008, 08:21 AM   #30
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy14 View Post
so everything they have there for the 3400 will fit on my car? because from what i heard the grand am 3.4 has the same engine as my car, which is the 2000 alero with a 3.4. like there's a lot of shit on that site and i want to know if it'll actually fit on my car

to get back on topic... if you selected, engine performance, then then 3400 engine section, then yes, all of that fits the 3.4L engine that you (we) have.

and mahan, your running 7s in the 1/8th mile run... which is like measuring wang in millimeters. Just cuz its a much larger number, it doesn't mean its actually bigger.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #31
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
lol if you ran 7s stock you'd be like < 11-12 second 1/4 mile
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #32
Alerosaint
Gone but not forgotten

Alerosaint is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alerosaint Send a message via Yahoo to Alerosaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
to get back on topic... if you selected, engine performance, then then 3400 engine section, then yes, all of that fits the 3.4L engine that you (we) have.

and mahan, your running 7s in the 1/8th mile run... which is like measuring wang in millimeters. Just cuz its a much larger number, it doesn't mean its actually bigger.

i like that phrase...lol..gotta use that sometime
Old 06-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #33
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
ecotec is a very nice motor, but i'm happy with my 3400........
Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #34
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
ecotec is a very nice motor, but i'm happy with my 3400........

the truth is, and i think you know it.........you could be faster wit hthe ecotec.....especially with the money you have spent
Old 06-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #35
JOEY GLADSTONE
GX Member

JOEY GLADSTONE is on a distinguished road
yes....then he would just be another one in the crowd with a S/Ced ecotec, the reason i invested so much money into my car is because it is very unique and you never see them at the track or at shows
JOEY GLADSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #36
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Truer words never spoken. The 3400 is definitely a "labor of love" project. 2.4s, Ecotec, etc. are all cookie-cutter setups. Trust me, put two boosted Aleros side by side, one a 4 and the other a 6, and pop the hoods. They'll look at the 4 and it clicks to them "Aw crap, that's the same engine in all the Cavaliers and Sunfires". But then they look at 6 and think "Crap. I thought these econo-car engines sucked". Who's the guy gonna be asking about how it performs, the 3400 or the cookie cutter?
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #37
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoPath View Post
^^Truer words never spoken. The 3400 is definitely a "labor of love" project. 2.4s, Ecotec, etc. are all cookie-cutter setups. Trust me, put two boosted Aleros side by side, one a 4 and the other a 6, and pop the hoods. They'll look at the 4 and it clicks to them "Aw crap, that's the same engine in all the Cavaliers and Sunfires". But then they look at 6 and think "Crap. I thought these econo-car engines sucked". Who's the guy gonna be asking about how it performs, the 3400 or the cookie cutter?

to me and i msure most people, it doesnt matter what you have what you drive or what powers it, if its fast, its fast, and if you wanna laugh at the cookie cutter laugh away but know the cookie cutter will always be faster
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #38
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
which is why when we refer to the fastest aleros with slips thread the fastest na and the fastest boosted are both 3400s?
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #39
2fast2furious01
GX Member

2fast2furious01 is on a distinguished road
maaan, what's up with all this hating on us poor la1"s guys ? We've never hurt nobody ... Except at the track lol.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #40
2fast2furious01
GX Member

2fast2furious01 is on a distinguished road
But in all truthfulness, it is less expensive i think there are more parts available for the 4 cyl. guys to put down some decent power. i don't know, maybe it's just me man but i love my la1, and i haven't unleashed the moster yet.