Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Stupid 5 Speed Swap

So I finally got down to denver this week to swap the built 5 speed into the alero. I picked up an 05 3400 motor out of monte carlo, looked the same, i knew some brackets had to be swapped, whatever, simple stuff. Got the flywheel and clutch bolted up, bolted the tranny up, everything looks good, drop it into car, some custom mounting brackets and everything looks great. Next morning i start on the bottom and hook everything up, A/C starter, ABS, Wiring harness, Fuel lines, etc. Get on top of the motor and the nightmares begin, 3 hours and 4 powering steering pumps later, I realize it's either yank the motor and new timing cover so I can get the power steering pump to line up, or I get a 3400 from a grand am or alero. So an hour later the motor is out and i'm very frustrated. Next morning and a 12 pack later, I got a 3400 out of a 03 grand am. New motor drops in great, mounts are good still, then when i'm hooking the fuel line back up the fpr cracks, call up GM, it's a special order and can't come until tomorrow morning two days later and a couple more minor issues aside everything is back together and the last thing to do is stab in the axles, fill with fluids, and break the clutch in.......here it comes...... ......passenger axle is a good 2 inches short, drivers is a good 2 inches long, motor is in a great position, 2 out of 4 stock motor mounts were used. Next morning, after 4 hours of searching and 2 or 3 12 packs l call up a couple local driveshaft shops, and the driveshaft shop, looks like $600 for shitty pieces together stock axles, or $1300 for 500hp level 3 customs from the driveshaft shop, so the alero with remain in denver for a month or two until the custom driveshaft shop axles are done.... ........

On a side note, hp tuners has handled the 5 speed swap great so far and I anticipate no problems on that side, i got a set of almost brand new potenzas for my wheels for $150!! 255/40/17s in the front and 235/45/17s in the rear.

So all problems aside the alero runs again, after almost 3 years, which makes me very happy. And the new axles should be done in a month or two, and be ready for the boosted motor and fabrication of the supercharger setup!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Trickyslick
V.I.P. Member

Trickyslick is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds sweet good job and as always keep us posted.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231641/1
Trickyslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
255/40/17s in the front and 235/45/17s in the rear.
Nice! Staggered FWD setup
Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #4
black00gt1
GX Member

black00gt1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to black00gt1
any progress pix?

glad u'r finally working on the alero
Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow... nice job. Definitely keep posting updates.....
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
*sigh* doing a 5/6 speed swap is the one thing I dream of with my car... If only I knew what to do lol. Any progress pics?
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
yeah i'll get some pics up tomorrow....
Old 04-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
kwhauck
2Screwy

here's a couple pics.......

Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
jrim
GL Member

jrim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jrim
cool! i wouldn't mind those rims with a silver ring around the edge
Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
holywow
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrim View Post
cool! i wouldn't mind those rims with a silver ring around the edge

that would ruin them IMO, rims with a colored lip are played out IMO, this is just a classic styled rim, 10yrs from now they will still look awesome, shit they are already 5 years old, been discontinued for over 2 years......
Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
not to change the subject but what ever happened to blackjack and his car?

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
kwhauck
2Screwy

i'm sure he still has it, but i'm pretty sure he went to the sandbox and will be there for awhile.......
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
those are probably one of my favorite sets of rims... i wish i could find some used ones
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
those are probably one of my favorite sets of rims... i wish i could find some used ones

thank you, but seriously........ .....good luck, i was fortunate to pick up a set when they were being discontinued (almost 2 years ago) and just 2 weeks ago after searching for almost a year, picked up two more as spares, they are not easy to come by for sure.....

but if you look you may get lucky, i hounded a guy on g35driver for awhile and never got a response, and then found the two I just bought on a 350zowners forum about a month ago, luckily he has just traded his z and sold them to me for a good price, they were mounted to some drag radials and only used once.....

if you do look, browse g35/g37/350z forums, that is the original fitment of these rims, 17x8 +32 offset......
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #17
worknprog.99
GLS member

what is the brand?
they kinda resemble one of the wheel options for the newer gtp's
i like the flat look they give
Old 04-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #18
kwhauck
2Screwy

wedssport tc-005, they are japanese lightweight forged rims, knock-off is the adr ikari?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
wedssport tc-005, they are japanese lightweight forged rims, knock-off is the adr ikari?

and they are 5x114.3 or 115? you dont have some adapter things going?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #20
kwhauck
2Screwy

5x114.3 and they fit great......