Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Transmission Issues

Well, the 4T45E in my car is a hard shifting, crazy good tranny.... except one thing..

well, Saturday, we had some massive storm here, and it dumped like, 5" of rain on us, and, i was driving, at night...... and there was this "lake" in the road, i never saw,
i imagine that it was 7" or more deep, and i hit it at about 30..... well, needless to say, it splashed everything, the water got everywhere, all over the engine compartment, shot out the sides of the hood, and got everywhere..... the belt started slipping, and the car lost all electrical power... i also smelled like, some sort of "electrical" smell

well, i got it running, everything seemed normal, but, when i hold a steady speed, say 35... the idle will "surge" or say, go from 1350 to 1500 back to 1350 and so on, it will do this surge, only when i hold a speed, or am slightly accelerating.

it's annoying, it only does it from 30 to 60, and only in final drive, if i am climbing a hill, and the RPM's are at 1800 or so, it wont do it... it only will do it on a level slope, holding that speed.....

help?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
shit luck man, that would kill me to hit water that hard with my car.

sounds like your torque converter kicking in and out. some sensor probablt got wet, but i can't really chime in on what one. the electrical smell could easily be a rad fan motor. i've had a couple of them go out on me before from plowing snow.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
well, anyone know what sensor would die from water?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
if I were you, I would open my hood and make sure everything is connected well... maybe the force of the water loosened an electrical connection? it was very dumb of you to go through the water like that...

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
like i said, TCC
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
IAT sensor, its a cheap first attempt at a fix, i think its around $15 for a new sensor

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bad IAT will raise the line pressures up to maximum, but that shouldn't cause his symptom. Torque converter clutch solenoid most likely got corrupted, making the car have issues switching to "engine directly attached to trans" mode and "torque converter slipping" mode.
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
unplug your transmission harness plug and make sure its dry.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
unplug your transmission harness plug and make sure its dry.

and that would be the massive plug under the Thermostat housing? the dark/light grey one?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
pointing towards the front of the car.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Up and down surging around an rpm could be caused by a MAF sensor issue.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
^^ I agree if the MAF gets wet it causes all sorts of problems. If water shot up outta the hood fender lines I'm willing to bet you sucked up some water

When I replaced mine the RPM's surged and the tranny shifted so hard going from park to drive I thought the tranny fell out, yes it was that hard

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
iTz Amazing
GX Member

iTz Amazing is on a distinguished road
^^ My car is doing the same thing right now, I just had to drop another engin in the car cause the orginal just puked and I've noticed harsh idoling at red lights from 800rpm-1200rpm, and really hard shifting from park to drive, the entire car shakes and i thought transmission as well. The idoling has even caused some stalls when im sitting in line for awhile like when leaving a football game or somthing.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i'll clean the MAF then, i'll do it now
Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i'm gonna throw a little money at it, and replace the TCCS
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #16
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

bump for still needing help.....
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
bump for still needing help.....

i thought you fixed it? hmmm...maybe cutting the brown wire was a bad idea afterall? haha, remember nate, we're fixing a car, not disarming a bomb!

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
i thought you fixed it? hmmm...maybe cutting the brown wire was a bad idea afterall? haha, remember nate, we're fixing a car, not disarming a bomb!

never did that, it's my last resort, i want more opinions before i go replacing solenoids and shit

i'm NOT cutting the wire, i'm gonna replace the solenoid....but everything seems to point to that, it's cheap, but hard
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
Blktrax
GX Member

Blktrax is on a distinguished road
Found this:

Service Bullitin
4T40E , 4T45E , 4T65E Surge Slip Condition Under Load in 2nd, 3rd , and or 4th - kw 3.1 automatic body chuggle fourth hesitation hot LG8 miss second shift third valve #PI01385A - (Mar 25, 2004)

4T40E, 4T45E, 4T65E Surge Slip Condition Under Load in 2nd 3rd and or 4th.

Condition/Concern:

The 4T40E/4T45E/4T65E automatic transmission may experience a slip surge condition in second, third and or fourth gears while under load, such as driving up a long hill or mountain. The conditions either separate or working in combination seem to cause the 'Engine Load %' to drop to a value which the PCM commands a lower line pressure (increase in PCS amperage).
'Normal' degradation of MAF over time aggravated by induction of foreign material (fine dust, oil from non-OEM air induction systems; secondly, build up of carbon deposits in combustion chamber/intake valves over time; thirdly, outside ambient temperatures above 95 degrees F(35 degrees C) seem to aggravate the condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:

The MAF should be swapped from a known good unit or replaced and the vehicle evaluated
Clean the top half of engine to remove carbon deposits. Use GM PN 12378546, 3 Step Induction Cleaner Kit, available through GMSPO.The 3 Step Induction Cleaner Kit should be used with tool E-957-001-C available from Auto Tech Industries at 1-800-522-8882 who is the approved supplier of the installation tool. The E-957-001-C kit costs about $595 but has all the adapters to work on TBI and multiport systems and EGR cleaning.

However I'd get a can of CRC Electrical Connector cleaner and open all the connectors, spray them out, let then sit for and hour or so, dry out and reconnect. Also very good for cleaning the MAF

Last edited by Blktrax : 11-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

so, clean the MAF?