Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
coblepots

I've been looking around these boards for awhile and have been really trying to find a detailed descripition of how to remove my manual shift knob so i can replace it with something a bit nicer. All of the other descriptions just say lift and twist but that doesn't seem to work. I have a 01 if that matters. Also, where can i get the tool for removing the steering wheel? The description i saw was alittle confusing to me. Thanks, sorry if this has been answered before
Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Iam not sure if you can replace the shift knob on a manual, dont they have that stupid reverse lockout thingy on them like the Cavy? And you can get a Steering wheel puller at every single autoparts store in the world I think they are only like 10 bucks.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
if you're not sure, don't answer...

for the manual shift know, its tough, but yeah, just twist a lil and lift...the knob is sitting in alot of little knotches to hold it in place so it don't turn...as for the reverse lockout, well, you gotta take it out...so make sure you're confortable and used to changing gears, cuz that would make a mess of a tranny in a hurry.

you probably saw my description of the steering wheel puller...its cuz i had made my own puller, cuz no one had one that i could use. so all i did is use one plate, threaded in the middle for a really long bolt, and 2 smaller bolts into the steering wheel, then just screw the middle bolt like you would any puller.

if you're still confused, PM me :thumbsup:
Old 12-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #4
coblepots

Hey thanks a lot, by the way i love the interior job you did, that green is really sweet. I thinki might just leave the knob alone then and just replace the boot then just because i don't have much experience with trannies. But thanks again.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #5
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, don't worry about accidentally shifting into reverse. It is impossible to shift in unless you are going about 10km/h or slower.

As for the twisting/pulling, it takes alot of force, but it'll come. Just pull straight up real hard and twist back and forth and it will slowly come loose.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote