Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 04-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
GrigZ

Hey guys I just blew a cam shaft and lifter in my 2.4liter manual trans. I had the warrenty on the car but when i took it in they said it was voided because i had a tee valve (for my wet nitrous system) in my fuel line so they suspected nitrous. So now i'm stuck in a position to either fix it (don't want to do that to expensive) or get a new engine. I want a new engine. But i want to drop in a turbo motor. Anyone got any idea's for a motor swap on what i should use??? THanks a lot
Old 04-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Well... lol if you were smrt you would have pulled that tee out.. hahaha...
If your serious about N2o i would suggest going ecotec... as i beleave the LD9 (2.4DOHC) is notorious for blowing up....

If its just a cam and lifter take the time to get differnt cams, and better lifters, and replace... as long as the rest of the motor is still ok, thats what i would suggest...
Otherwise if you want to boost i would suspect that you would need to go with internals, blueprint/balance, pistons, bore, head etc etc ...

Oh and btw how much were u sprayin that u bothered to get a wett kit... most ppl who spray 50 or so dont bother to go wett..

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
yeah, if you really want to swap, swap to the eco. That car is going to have tons of parts for it.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM   #4
bdyman

ecotec!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
shortstar

gm sells a 2.0 liter supercharged ecotech from their performance parts devision right now. It makes 2005 hp at 5600 rpm and 200 ft/lbs at 4400 rpms. Engine is deffinetly underated from what Ive heard putting out more like 220 horse 210 ft/lbd. Also i Belive that is at a relativley low amount of boost so ther is plenty of room for improtvment. Pretty nice crate engine. Also if you wanted to go the turbo route you can try and get a Saab 93 high pressure turbo that makes 210 horse and 220 ft/lbs of tourque. Also If you could get one the new 3.5 ohv in the new 2004 malibu is nice sand should slide into an alero's 3.4 mounts pretty well. makes 200 hp 225 ftlbs stock and has been turbocharged in the gand am autocross at SEMA for 300 hp and 300ftlbs. You could also drop in a 3.5 liter DOHC LX5 from an olds intrigue. 215 and 235 and thats a bit underated. Lots of stuff to choose from!
Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
dood, camshaft and lifters won't cost that much unless you go to RSM or Mantapart camshafts.

the most expensive thing would be the lifters.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
Final-Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by GrigZ
Hey guys I just blew a cam shaft

Sure you did.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
You're the second guy to blow his engine with N2O in 3 months

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #9
dopey

so please explain how u blow a camshaft..........
Old 04-16-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
^^ put camshaft in front of face. a big inhale. pucker lips up and push air out over the camshaft..........equals......how u blow a camshaft

Now repeat process for lifter.

LMAO

I would like to see pics of this. the only camshaft probs i have ever heard of is the the powersteering part. but that was more on the PS side.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #11
BLK03GXS
GLS member

It is possible to CRACK a camshaft... or spin cam berrings...
But it cant really blow... :unsure:

Old 04-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #12
Skiboarder311
GLS member

Skiboarder311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Skiboarder311
Were u sprayin at the time? if so how much?

just curious, I have a friend wantin to run Nawz on the 2.4, but i dunno what it can handle.

I know my car was lovin the 50 shot, but i have th 3400, and i hope it loves the new wet kit too LOL
Old 04-20-2004, 03:19 AM   #13
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldsman@Apr 16 2004, 02:43 PM
^^ put camshaft in front of face. a big inhale. pucker lips up and push air out over the camshaft..........equals......how u blow a camshaft

Now repeat process for lifter.

LMAO

I would like to see pics of this. the only camshaft probs i have ever heard of is the the powersteering part. but that was more on the PS side.
this post umost got the OHHH face
Old 04-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #14
BLK03GXS
GLS member

From what i hear you dont want to spray any more than a 50 shot on the 2.4...
But even that seems riskay... due to the # of ppl that have nuked those motors with a 55, or 50 shot... but anyways
I would do like a 30 shot... but if you go bigger go wett... it should help in the long run.. in keepin the thing from ending up allover your driveway...
But then one wonders about the idiots that have sprayed the 2.4.... most of em prolly went arond sprayin at every stoplight :rolleyes: