Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy heavy rust on body and brakelines

Hi,
I have to pass an official test here in Germany called TÜV. And they dont look to kind on rust spots.

What I'm dealing with right now is:
My brakelines arent rusted at the "usual" spots. Their rusted in the area of the auto trans and near the ABS hydraulic unit.
Are they prone to do this? What would be a good way to remove the rust and conserve the brakelines?

The frontsuspension, engine and tranny sit on this big crossmember (dont know how its called in english.) This crossmember is connected to the firewall with 2 U-shaped metal "things" -- Sorry no photo - these are heavily rusted -- Are they replaceable? If not. What should I do?

Another rust issue -- all, nearly all, my spot welds at the floor pan are rusting, but only the spot welds. Any idea how to remove the rust and conserve them?

Interestingly I never had rust issues with my car before this winter. This really comes all of a sudden.

So any ideas how to conserve the cars for the next years, and how to do it fast so I pass the official state test?

Thanks
Julian
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
To fix rust, I do not know much about but, to prevent I sprayed my car with a undercoating underneath so when we have winters here I don't have to worry about rust underneath my car
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
My lines are rusted there too. mine seem fine. i never got crap for it at an inspection.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
But you don't have the TÜV.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
But you don't have the TÜV.

I get that, is it some like evilly close inspection they make of the car?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
falloutboy
GL Member

exactly Nate, it is

First it cost a lot of money to do it. Then if they find e.g. an oily oilpan and it is obvious that for example the rear main seal is the source you have to fix it. Hence all the work and costs to fix the prob. Then you have to go a second time to the inspection. There they test everything again and have a close look at the issue why you didnt pass last time. This second inspection cost a few (hundred) bucks more then the first one. And if they find a problem that makes the car dangerous to drive e.g. broken brake line something else. You dont get your car back. You have to pick it up at their place with a trailer and pay a fine, a ransom, special paperwork, and the inspection cost and you have to proof that the issue is fixed within a defined period. Or you loose your insurance and license plate and so on. The call it "außer verkehr ziehen".

So my biggest concern arent the brake lines (cause their pretty hard to see back there )
But the rust on the K-Member (hopefully right term) and the rust the spotwelds is a big issue.

-- EDIT --

Ohh and by the way, there is also a "sniffer test". Something like in California but much more thorough.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
whiterider00
GLS member

whiterider00 is on a distinguished road
holy eff!! 3/4 of the cars in this country wouldnt pass that inspection. well good luck with the rust. i dont know if its available in your country, but por-15 would be the best solution. it creates a permanent, solvent and impact resistant coating. plus they make undercoatings and stuff which should help keep the rust from coming back.
whiterider00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
falloutboy
GL Member

yeah POR-15 is sometimes used by Oldtimer drivers (mostly US-Car Oldtimers) and their pretty happy with this stuff.

I'll try it, if I can get some cheap
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider00 View Post
holy eff!! 3/4 of the cars in this country wouldnt pass that inspection.

That's true.

Is there some reason why you do not sand down the rust and prime and paint? If I understand you correctly, all the places where the rust are all under the car, so it does not have to look nice.

I think the "sniffer test" is probably what we would refer to as an emissions test. We have them here too. On my 1995 car, it is done on a machine with huge rollers with the front wheels on and the car running. On my Alero, they plug into the OBD2 port and look for codes.

I like the way you refer to the inspection station as holding your car hostage, for ransom. Even if that was not your intent, your translation is probably so true that it is funny.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 06-24-2010 at 09:06 AM.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Yea, as long as it's not rotting away structural metal, I'd honestly just hit it with a wire-wheel or something and brush on POR15 or else just spray paint it with some bedliner or undercoating. All it has to do is pass inspection!!

You could even go ahead and use steel-wool or something on the breaklines, then por15 those I'm sure?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
falloutboy
GL Member

I think the big K-Member (or what ever its called) is a structural part, and its rusting at the part where it bolts to the chassis.

Hmm and getting it sanded and so on, what mean to rip evertyhing off the car to get the member out and into the booth.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Phew...I lived in the snowbelt in Ohio. I'm afraid I would definitely not pass as the majority of the underside of my car has rust on it. Tough gig.