Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
illzwhy
GX Member

illzwhy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Should I Change the Timing Chain?

Hi all~!!!!

I just bought an old Alero 2001, 2.4L Sedan.

It has 84000 miles on it now....and nothing has been done to its timing belt/chain before...I was told it has a chain?

Shouldn't it be replaced when it was at 60000 miles?

Does anyone know if I should do anything to it....or, if it runs well now, I just leave it and use it as it is?

All replies appreciated~!!!

Thanks all~!!
illzwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
The LD9 uses chains yes. As for changing it, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Replacing the timing belt and the timing chain are 2 seperate things. The chain you don't even want to touch and you probably couldn't unless you knew where it was. The timing belt however is the correct thing you're talking about. It isn't necessary to replace it, but after about 80k miles it's recommended. If it is squeaking or showing any signs of wear then yes of course replace it.
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
the chains not the problem, its when the tensioner gives out and it starts hopin off by a few teeth. its up to you, theres nothing wrong with doin it if u want the peace of mind that its taken care of. get out all the sludge thats behind the timing cover while ur at it.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
It's pretty easy to do, I'd also recommend just a tensioner replacement.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2000 View Post
Replacing the timing belt and the timing chain are 2 seperate things. The chain you don't even want to touch and you probably couldn't unless you knew where it was. The timing belt however is the correct thing you're talking about. It isn't necessary to replace it, but after about 80k miles it's recommended. If it is squeaking or showing any signs of wear then yes of course replace it.

the 2.4 uses a chain not a belt.
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Chris2000
GL Member

Chris2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alero_bmxer View Post
the 2.4 uses a chain not a belt.

I'm talking about the serpentine belt. I'm almost positive there is one since it's kinda under the hood of my 2.4
Chris2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
haha you know i thought of that right after i posted. sorry about that
[ion] C2 - I ran her hard, on nothing but the bare ground. After easing into it and progressively pushing down harder I could feel the pressure building and once it peaked I let off and she gave a loud cry from the blow off valve.
Ttop191 - ^ because your car is the only thing that will suck and blow that you can actually successfully get within 25 feet of

alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Yeah leave it alone.

Timing belts are known to free up horsepower and torque and chains rob HP and Ft/lbs, however the chain lasts longer and has less of a chance of breaking.

I did the timing chain in my Olds 350. Way different motor, but the motor was also close to 40 years old when I did it. It was streched a bit, but still the orignal chain with over 250,000 miles on it

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
illzwhy
GX Member

illzwhy is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks everyone~!!!

wow thanks everyone for their advice....

yups I also read it uses a chain instead of a belt too....and yea, will check with the workshop on changing the tensioner.

i do not know how to do these work that's why i'm worried.....and truly thankful of all advice~!!! ; )
illzwhy is offline   Reply With Quote