Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
nixon
GX Member

nixon is on a distinguished road
ungodly ticking noise

So I just put on the cosmo racing wai probably about 4-5 days ago. Everything was fine and then the 2nd day I had it after the car would warm up they engine started ticking, with the hood open it appears to be coming from the top of the engine almost around the fuel injector area.

In any case i ignored it because the car needs an oil change and thought it was related to that. I still havent gotten an oil change but the ticking has now become a very loud knock even on cold start up.

When i was at a stop light the car revved up to 4k and did not rev back down so i shut off the car and waited a few minutes and started it back up...it was a very rough idle and then it cleared up and here comes the ungodly knocking noise again.

Please tell me its just because the oils dirty and i need to change it...god forbid it be a lifter or something.
nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon View Post
So I just put on the cosmo racing wai probably about 4-5 days ago. Everything was fine and then the 2nd day I had it after the car would warm up they engine started ticking, with the hood open it appears to be coming from the top of the engine almost around the fuel injector area.

In any case i ignored it because the car needs an oil change and thought it was related to that. I still havent gotten an oil change but the ticking has now become a very loud knock even on cold start up.

When i was at a stop light the car revved up to 4k and did not rev back down so i shut off the car and waited a few minutes and started it back up...it was a very rough idle and then it cleared up and here comes the ungodly knocking noise again.

Please tell me its just because the oils dirty and i need to change it...god forbid it be a lifter or something.

is the WAI sealed properly...... i hope you aren't sucking in dirt...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
nixon
GX Member

yea its sealed, i made sure everything was nice and tight before starting it up
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon View Post
yea its sealed, i made sure everything was nice and tight before starting it up

thats the only thing i can think of
Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
valve tick? lifter tapping?

i forget what its called.. but its common and harmless

wait for redog. hes familiar with it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
nixon
GX Member

nah its not valve tap, ive heard that before. Its a lot louder then that, my friend describes it as dry metal on metal hitting/knocking/rubbing sound..haha but yea im almost positive its not that, its way to loud for it.

Initially i thought it was a sticky lifter but it would only do it while it was warm. Now its just a loud knock right from a cold start even after its warmed up

since i had about 900-1000 saved up for a mountain bike which im no longer getting due to this knock...with that 900 for budget could i basically rebuild the internals? like new cams/pistons all that stuff...im not to familiar with internals, my friend however is a mechanic and has no problem doing this stuff.

Last edited by nixon : 05-06-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
It needs an oil change... are you sure it still HAS oil in it?

Stupid question, but my one friend said it was "time for an oil change", and he found out he had maybe a cup of oil in his engine.. that idiot.

If you're low on oil, and if the engine has higher mileage (causing more oil pressure to be lost at the crank and so forth), the valvetrain would be the first thing to be not lubricated properly.. possibly producting the harsh noises in there.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
nixon
GX Member

its got oil, right above the safe line any lower and its apparently "not safe" but its pretty dark oil...im getting it changed tomorrow so im hoping that clears things up...if not im going to light the damned thing on fire and drive it off a cliff
Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Ghadsphi
The Drunk

Ghadsphi is an unknown quantity at this point
Forgive me asking as this isn't my forum yet, but sounds like a timing belt issue. (Honestly I think 2.4s have timing belts). That could cause a few of the probelms. I'd probably check the sparkplugs first though (unless they were replaced recently) might give you an idea if there's a problem cylinder. (Plus checking sparkplugs doesn't usally require you running it more and f'n it up more)
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
nixon
GX Member

Well i was about to take it to a shop today and started it up...sure enough a loud knocking all of a sudden a loud backfire or bang of some sort and now this bitch is only on 3 cyclinders now...so im just gonna have it towed to a shop and hopefully the damage isnt to bad