Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
|Rev|

hey guys, I am workin on getting some Enkies 17 wheels, but I noticed that theres a healthy gap between the wheel and wheel well, so I wanna lower my car, but how much do you guys think I should lower it? And what kind of springs should I use? BTW I live in Longmont, CO, the roads are really crappy here, and it rains quite a bit, so would lowering it put the intake in danger of water splash from puddles?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i just lowered mine with Sprint springs from suspensionmax.com, i really like them, and they were only 150 with shipping included, got here in 4 days and i installed them myself in under 3 hours.

i have 18" wheels, and my gap was horrible, but i really like the way my car looks now... if you want before/after pics let me know

as for the intake, i wouldnt worry all that much. no matter what your ride height is, the only way for water to enter is through the headlight/foglight housing, you should have all the plastic underneath and in your wheel wells, so i wouldnt worry about water.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

oh, and when you go to get wheels, get them test fit on some 35's or 40's, i got 18"s and i really like them, but sometimes i'll look at them and wish i had 19"s

so it's better if you have them put a 17 and an 18 on, just to get an idea... any decent wheel shop will do it for you, if not, i wouldnt buy from them anyway.

if you're ever in denver go to coys wheel connection... thats where i got mine, i'm very satisfied, and they gave me a good deal.... i think they supply the wheels for monster garage too, not that that really matters any.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Umm... i beleave the H&R's or the Eibachs are the least drop, however either of those 2 springs are made for handeling... if thats what your looking fer...

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:45 AM   #5
FormulaNERD
GLS member

oh, i forgot to mention that the sprint springs are a 2"+ drop, but i dont think it's too low. and they ride really firm for cornering, but if you dont upgrade your struts, it might be a little rough on bumps
Old 05-30-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
Final-Reality

I noticed those sprint springs from suspension max, they're only $172 with free shipping right now, but I wanted to get the ST Springs instead because I have never even heard of sprint springs... and I didn't want to get them in case they sucked :P
Old 05-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
FormulaNERD
GLS member

they "offer" the same drop, but the sprint springs are a little stiffer. my buddy has the spring tech, mine dropped a little more in the back, but my front hasnt settled yet. and i just got them last week, they were 149 shipped, the spring tech were like 129, but 40 to ship or something, so the sprint actually came out cheaper, and they are the better spring, IMO

edit:

i just checked the site.... they raised the price for both the sprint and the ST... thats no fun, well luckily i got mine when i did, and i paid 5 bucks for tool rental to put them on.... very cheap and satisfying mod!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:32 PM   #8
sympley

How did you change you springs yourself? How difficult it it? What kind of tools do you need? Please help, I really would like to get them done myself. I also want the KYB.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:35 PM   #9
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Intrax!
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #10
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Intrax or ST

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:50 AM   #11
FormulaNERD
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by sympley@Jun 24 2004, 03:32 AM
How did you change you springs yourself? How difficult it it? What kind of tools do you need? Please help, I really would like to get them done myself. I also want the KYB.
i used the aleromod tutorial
Old 07-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #12
|Rev|

K I am thinking about iether getting the ST or the sprint springs, but, if I do get one of them, will I have to replace the stock struts? how low does the ST springs lower it, I got my wheels, and now the gap is just even more noticable lol
Old 07-04-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
Voodosoup

You shouldn't have to replace your stock struts right away, I've had my intrax on for over a year now and the stock struts are still ok.

And you don't have to worry about puddles with the CAI, but if you try to drive through water that is as deep as the bottom edge of the chassis below the door, you will suck water into your motor.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
3.4Alero

Don't change your springs yourself unless you have access to air tools.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #15
bigd6983

why 3.4 i know tons of people who have done it without air tools.......
Old 07-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #16
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
just keep this in mind too, anytime you lower the center of gravity on a car is goin to handle better
i personally liked my spring tech springs, they drop more in the back but once settled it was a nice even drop, almost 2inches
performce aspect, loved em` takin corners at 35 plus hardly any body roll
eibach is more of a performance spring for like what 3.4 does and matt does
i would say go with spring tech, and if you never did springs before i would suggest you have someone do it
and yes air toold make it so much easier and safer so does a spring compressor make it safer as well
or ya could just wait when i get my air ride and buy my coil overs..l.ol.....
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #17
3.4Alero

If you are experienced, then do whatever the hell you want. But for someone who obviously has never done anything like this before, I would say don't do it without air. Just my advise, take it for what it's worth.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:59 AM   #18
ptrudel
Designated Drunk

ptrudel is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ptrudel
i'd be too damn scared to do it without air...those things have lots of pressure..they somehow manage to get away from ur grip, definately gonna get hurt
Old 07-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #19
|Rev|

sweet, after I get more motor in my car, I will most likely get sprint tech springs, maybey in like September or somethin I will get em, need to get more "go" and less show
Old 07-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by 2000_olds_alero@Jul 5 2004, 08:59 AM
i'd be too damn scared to do it without air...those things have lots of pressure..they somehow manage to get away from ur grip, definately gonna get hurt
I was too damn scared to do it period

Stock srping are under 600 lbs. PSI

If you're going to do it yourself, air tools. The springs won't hurt you if they shoot off, they will just take your head clean off

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote