Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bleeding Coolant

We don't have a bleeder screw, so what's the best method to bleed the coolant? I have a crapload of air in the lines from an o-ring leak that I fixed yesterday. Temps still like to stick around the 203-210 range (with heater/fans on max)instead of the normal operating temp of 194-196 with heater/fans on 2nd setting.

I've run the car with the coolant cap off idling, raising RPMs a bit, etc. Seems when I go wide open while driving it helps to push the air out of the system, my temps go down to the normal desired temperatures but then go back up. Do I just need to keep driving hard until the temps stay where they should be?

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i know on the 3400, there is a post w/ a tiny bolt in the top. you have the car running, loosen the bolt, till coolant leaks out, then tighten.

2.4, has to have something similar... i have no idea where though.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Its been along time since I've looked at a 2.4, like at least 5 years, but enough heat cycles should take care of it. If you just took the air pockets on yesterday, adding coolant as necessary from a cold start over the course of the next week or so should work all the bubbles out.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Ya, figured it'd just take driving under different conditions to get it down. That's what happened when we put the built engine in..
Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
I dunno man, common sense would just tell me that elevation is the key, look for the highest point in the system, and if nothing is higher than the coolant reservoir cap, than all excess air will find its way there eventually. If there is a higher point in the coolant system than the radiator cap, than I'm sure it can be found, but I am pretty sure there isn't one on the 2.4.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
DOHC_tuner
GLS member

DOHC_tuner is on a distinguished road
Did you try to get it flushed yet?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
I dunno man, common sense would just tell me that elevation is the key, look for the highest point in the system, and if nothing is higher than the coolant reservoir cap, than all excess air will find its way there eventually. If there is a higher point in the coolant system than the radiator cap, than I'm sure it can be found, but I am pretty sure there isn't one on the 2.4.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

With the cap off, doesn't bubbles or coolant come out?

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Vic28
GL Member

Vic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Vic28

Last edited by Vic28 : 05-16-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Vic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
the system will automatically get rid of the air in the system, it does this when the system pressurizes and will take a day or two of driving to complete.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
i know on the 3400, there is a post w/ a tiny bolt in the top. you have the car running, loosen the bolt, till coolant leaks out, then tighten.

2.4, has to have something similar... i have no idea where though.

would that be the little bolt on top of the coolent by pass line on the waterpump side?

because mine constantly runs hot and i wander if its alot of air pockets due to the many times coolent gets drained and put back in
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
would that be the little bolt on top of the coolent by pass line on the waterpump side?

because mine constantly runs hot and i wander if its alot of air pockets due to the many times coolent gets drained and put back in

yes. from where it says 3400, from the 3, go toward the front bumper and to the left slightly. The straight black post w/ a little bolt head on top. Thats the ticket.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr1m View Post
the system will automatically get rid of the air in the system, it does this when the system pressurizes and will take a day or two of driving to complete.

I don't feel like waiting that long.

I found out the many-member approved method on JBO. That metal coolant line that was giving me troubles with the o-ring leaking is actually the main bleeding line. I have to make sure it's clear for flow (not bent like it is now) and run the car and squeeze the radiator inlet hose coming off the overflow tank, trying to push the fluid through the system and once coolant comes shooting out of that hose, it should be bled.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
yes. from where it says 3400, from the 3, go toward the front bumper and to the left slightly. The straight black post w/ a little bolt head on top. Thats the ticket.

leave it to gm to do that lol
my subaru had an automatic realese valve
Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
A57
GL Member

A57 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to A57
If you let it run witht the cap off to let the air bubbles find it way out is about the best way , but it will take sometime.. or you can drive with the A/C on and let it works it way out while driving...

hope this helps.
A57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
worknprog.99
GLS member

this is my last idea to figure out why it runs constantly over half
Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
if you have air in your coolant lines an air pocket could be sitting near the tstat and would make the car's temp read higher then normal

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #17
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
warm er up, fill with coolant, warm er up, fill with coolant,...

about all you can do is enough heat cycles as far as i know
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

So how should I flush it? Just open the drainrooster and fill it up with new coolant as the old drains out and then after a while close the drainrooster?

Because this stupid thing just won't bleed.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

effing ridiculous. I cable tied the coolant hoses that are near/on the downpipe away from it, and wrapped them in heat shield material. And the coolant temps still end up getting up there (201-210 with all fans and heater on max).

And when I went WOT on the highway and let off, the temps go back down to 190-192, and then creep back up as I cruise. It's so retarded.

I mean I fixed my coolant/air leak, I wrapped the coolant lines around the turbo, and it still likes to run hotter than it should.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
effing ridiculous. I cable tied the coolant hoses that are near/on the downpipe away from it, and wrapped them in heat shield material. And the coolant temps still end up getting up there (201-210 with all fans and heater on max).

And when I went WOT on the highway and let off, the temps go back down to 190-192, and then creep back up as I cruise. It's so retarded.

I mean I fixed my coolant/air leak, I wrapped the coolant lines around the turbo, and it still likes to run hotter than it should.

welcome to the wonderful world of boost
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote