Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
bigd6983

alrite i got st springs and kyb gr2 struts.......now the front i matched up and i could easily figure out how it sat on the strut.........but the rear i couldnt........does anybody have any pictures or know how the rear springs sit on the strut.....

also what are the holes on the strut for??

i know there is another thread talking about people having trouble with the springs unseating themselves when you jack up the car, could the holes be used to secure the springs down just in case??
Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
uhhh the holes are for the little plastic piece that goes on the base of the spring and usually stops the spring from moving around. as for the back struts, they should be the same as the front position wise. its just a little tuffer to take out and put in. and there are ways to make the strut dead even with the bolts at the bottom and screws at the top, but im pretty sure you know what imt talkign about.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
bigd6983

hmm your hole theory makes sense but the rear strut is not the same as the rear in regards to the strut plate the springs sit on, you can tell on the front where the end of the spring stops, on the back there is nothing like that.......
Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

hmmph odd, for mine it was.........but im still using stock struts. you have aftermarket struts right? im not sure if i can help you there...
Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
-Alero-
GLS member

umm my suggestion is, you need to find a spot where the end of that spring coil can wedge up against something so it wont pop out of your strut when driving. thats all i can tell you. i know nothing about those kyb struts
Old 12-01-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
bigd6983

yea thats what im saying.........to me i see nothing that it will wedge up to like the front set has, the part numbers are 334295 for the front and 334229 for the back........
Old 12-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I have your setup BigD...I dont have pics but will go check out what it looks like at lunch and see how the springs sit :thumbsup:

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 PM   #8
bigd6983

thanks AGT id appreciate it man..........anyone else id like some more info on this, i want to tackle it this weekend, i got both sat and sun to do it......i dont have an air compressor but on the installation paper that came with the struts it says not to use air tools, now i might be able 2 get my hands on air tools but reading that makes me not want to, i got the necessary knowledge and tools so im not so worried, but i want to everything before i get my hands dirty......
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
bigd6983

heres 1/2
Old 12-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
bigd6983

other 1/2
Old 12-02-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
bigd6983

is it suppose 2 sit like that?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:05 PM   #12
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
my manroe struts do have the seat for the rear spring.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
bigd6983

anybody else done their own springs, i thought of some more questions, should i grease up the top and bottom of the springs? if so what kind should i use?
Old 12-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I looked at em and they sit pretty much like you showed in the pic....of course I can't tell a lot since they are compressed but i no problems when I did my own. :unsure: By the way is that the front spring you have in that pic? SUre looks like the front...the rear are tighter loops.

Have a good day
Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 PM   #15
bigd6983

nope thats the rear.....maybe it looks different compressed........did you greese the top and bottom of the springs?? anybody have an answer to that?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #16
AGT
GLS member

I didn't grease nothing...my baby likes it when I hurt her pus...oh.. the car uh umm no... no grease

Have a good day
Old 12-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #17
bigd6983

lol cmon man u gotta lube it up.......

alrite then, all i gotta do is go get the spring compressors and i think i can get this done tomorrow, if i start about 9 can i be done by 4 or 5?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #18
AGT
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigd6983@Dec 3 2004, 10:16 PM
lol cmon man u gotta lube it up.......

alrite then, all i gotta do is go get the spring compressors and i think i can get this done tomorrow, if i start about 9 can i be done by 4 or 5?
oh yeah...mine took 2 or 3 hrs 1 wheel at a time and it was my second suspension to do. I still say those springs look really wide...on my rear they are tight enough that the taper bottom isn't that big of a difference from the full diameter. I don't know...got another pic showing the whole thing?

Have a good day
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 PM   #19
AGT
GLS member

Plus looks like less loops as well...my back has more loops of course since the back wont have to carry the weight of the engine.

"also what are the holes on the strut for??"- I used mine for the gasket like rubber that sits under the spring...it came with a nipple and it fit in that hole.

Have a good day
Old 12-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #20
bigd6983

ok you guys this is jacked up, the strut to steering assembly nuts were on their so good, im a 270lb guy, and im strong, i had all my weight down on them with a breaker bar and could not get em to budge but i finally did...........so as i have the assembly in my hand i wipe some of the dirt off the springs and what do i see appear the word "eibach", yes you got it right, when i bought my car used someone had dropped it with eibach springs.........i was so pissed when i found that out, and i know you guys are thinking how come i didnt notice this, never had a lowered car.........so yea, i think this makes me idiot of the month or something.......