Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 02-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
littlebandito

Anybody know where I can get a new ECU with no top speed limiter that wont mess up my fuel economy rating?
Old 02-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
www.digitalhorsepowerinc.com
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
where do u plan on driving that u need to go 100mph+??

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
thought I heard you couldn't buy direct from DHP anymore, maybe that's just on their PowrTuners.

That site up there will at least give you the info you need to see if that's what you want. I am reasonably certain that it will not leave your fuel economy intact though, unless you order the more expensive "custom" PCM.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by 2Sweet@Feb 18 2006, 04:37 AM
ohio turnpike
Old 02-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Feb 18 2006, 08:43 AM
I am reasonably certain that it will not leave your fuel economy intact though, unless you order the more expensive "custom" PCM.
custom pcm's are for mods that arent quite so regular, like a cam or something like that. for cai, exhaust and simple botl ons they sell you the beta 1.0 or whatever it is. i ordered mine from pfyc.com this past week and it is already shipped. should be here tuesday.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, but the "custom" PCM, Charles can take out the speed limiter and not tweak the timing/fuel map. Sounds expensive to just do that only.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
littlebandito

I got sponsored with Sport Compact Pro, and Im gonna gonna need the speed for the racing part.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Quote:
Originally posted by littlebandito@Feb 18 2006, 10:46 AM
I got sponsored with Sport Compact Pro, and Im gonna gonna need the speed for the racing part.

your sponsered!? holly poop! you must have it made in life, whats it like? do you get all the girls?

:rolleyes:
Old 02-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #10
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
so you got sponsored with an alero, and you plan on racing in an alero, and the racing will excede 110 mph, well hmmm first off but the time you get to 110 you would already be needing to be slowign down, if thats the only mod you're gonna do then thats stupid cause 110 is a number you shouldnt hit very often in a race with these cars, and besides, its 108 not 110
Old 02-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jackal2000+Feb 18 2006, 09:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jackal2000 @ Feb 18 2006, 09:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-2Sweet@Feb 18 2006, 04:37 AM
ohio turnpike
[/b][/quote]

hahahahahahaha

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBullet256@Feb 18 2006, 01:01 PM
so you got sponsored with an alero, and you plan on racing in an alero, and the racing will excede 110 mph, well hmmm first off but the time you get to 110 you would already be needing to be slowign down, if thats the only mod you're gonna do then thats stupid cause 110 is a number you shouldnt hit very often in a race with these cars, and besides, its 108 not 110

This is all true. The fastest I ever got up to in a 1/4 mile was just shy of 92. You have to have a power adder like a s/c or turbo to get over 110 in a 1/4 mile, in which case you get a new PCM with that anyway.

You could probably do it with spray, but I really don't think it's a good idea to use it.

Any road type track will will not get much above 30 or 40 becuase of all the turns, but if you're racing on an oval, yeah you can do it easily. It can be done on the highway but you're just an ahoe waiting to get youself killed in that case.

You are going to need to do brake and suspension work before taking it over the speed limiter, which is 108, not 110. The resaon the speed limiter is there is because the stock brakes and suspension cannot handle more than, I believe it's 115. Plus, engine work helps too

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
littlebandito

Thats true, Im never gonna use it on a drag, but theres a organization that blocks off an old high way couple times every year for big races. Probably gonna be able to use more speed.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
SilverBullet256

yeah if they are doing like half mile races, but usually a half mile is way too much, so i highly doubt you will ever need that extra "speed", i can understand needing extra power, but speed isnt really somehting to worry about, most people need to realise that just cause somehting has a high top speed doesnt make it a "fast car", it could take 5 miles to get to that top speed and that isnt fast at all, all im saying is i doubt you will need just the speed limiter removed, i would just go for mods to give more power, not speed, remember, in a quarter mile acceleration is the most important thing
Old 02-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
^ Yeah I gotta agree.

I modded my motor with just about everything excpet the heads, s/c or turbo, and no spray and it got me from 16.20 @ 82 MPH to 14.53 @ 91.9. I didn't just throw a PCM in and run that.

Yeah it probably would take about 5 miles to get upto the top speed of an Alero. I heard about a GA hitting 153 (on a track, of course, oval) but an Alero would be a tad bit faster than that becuase of the taller top gear. Might be good for another 5 MPH or so.

BTW: This thread is really borderline with our street racing policy.

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 02-20-2006, 01:27 AM   #16
SilverBullet256

it is but it isnt, im talking of all my racing as professional race cource driven and i was not even thinking of racing on the street at all, i always think of the strip
Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #17
Creeper

If you haven't checked out J-body you should check out this link:

Ecotec engine mods

Also, you should check out the Ecotec Build Guide. There is a link to it somewhere around here.

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetAlero99@Feb 18 2006, 02:37 AM

Come on his handle is LittleBandito, where do you think, as he leaves the bank!
:steeringwheel: :naich: :steeringwheel: :naich:
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #18
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverBullet256@Feb 20 2006, 01:27 AM
it is but it isnt, im talking of all my racing as professional race cource driven and i was not even thinking of racing on the street at all, i always think of the strip

Yeah but a lot of people don't think that way :Noooo:

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #19
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
i would also agree with everyone in saying that there isn't much of a point... if you plan on racing against an alero the same as yours with the same amount of mods and he still has a limiter... then it will come in handy... lol. otherwise there is no point to being rid of it becasue your car is not gonna get the that "top speed" any faster so you'll be losing the race anyway... and without HEAVY mods... i hope the rest of your racing class is pretty slow... becasue our cars aren't exactly built to be race cars.

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
littlebandito

Ouch....no more modder bashing please.