Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 03-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
sandstoneolds20
GX Member

sandstoneolds20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sandstoneolds20
Will removing the screen from my mass air flow sensor hurt anything? I'm just wondering if I can remove it to improve the air flow along with the cold intake I got.
sandstoneolds20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not going to make a big enough difference to bother. The screen is there to smooth out the air going over the sensors so you get an acurate reading.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Mar 19 2006, 02:29 PM
It's not going to make a big enough difference to bother. The screen is there to smooth out the air going over the sensors so you get an acurate reading.

so tell me y the Pro-M MAF doenst have a screen on it?

only reason hte screen is there is as a last line of defense to prevent objects from entering hte intake manifold. such as leaves and stuff

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Pro-M MAF doesn't have a screen on it probably because GM went into overkill again thinking you weren't going to read correctly unless the air flow was straightened out before passing over the wires, and also as a protective measure.

interestingly, I removed the screen from mine and found no notable difference in performance when used with the stock airbox. There was however, a very slight difference with the CAI, since the air already had a long straight run before entering the engine.

Is it worth the effort? IMO, no. Personally I think unless you're pumping some serious air through, I'd leave it in, in case you lose a chunk of silicone coupler or part of your filter for some strange reason.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetNLow+Mar 19 2006, 11:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SweetNLow @ Mar 19 2006, 11:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jamcllw@Mar 19 2006, 02:29 PM
It's not going to make a big enough difference to bother.Â;-) The screen is there to smooth out the air going over the sensors so you get an acurate reading.

so tell me y the Pro-M MAF doenst have a screen on it?

only reason hte screen is there is as a last line of defense to prevent objects from entering hte intake manifold. such as leaves and stuff
[/b][/quote]

My guess would be that the Pro-M has different design and tolerances. Regardless your not going to see any power increases on a stock or mildly modded engine.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote