Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
brgnshpr1

I have a 99 Alero GLS, has 67K mi on it. It is my daily driver, all in town driving. I absolutely love my car! It is very sharp looking and gives me all of the extras I love. However, just had to have the front wheel bearing replaced, and when it was in the shop found out I have a leak in the intake gasket which will have to be replaced.

Upon searching the internet, I have found out that this is a common problem for these cars. My question is...what is going to go wrong next? As much as I love my car, I don't have the $ to continually fix it.

I am now thinking about trading it off. Any words of wisdom? I'm wondering if I'm just at the beginning of what is going to turn into a love-hate relationship.

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
from what i've seen, the beginning alero years, are problematic. (for 5-10K) then the next 50k are good, then its just maintance from there other then the infamous gasket problems.

i'd look up who owned the car last, and if it had any major accidents, but if your getting the gasket fixed (should have them check the the LIM [lower intake manifold] for any leaks....

but if those are good (after repair) you should be golden for another 30K
Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
must be right about the early years.

My '03 only has 47k on it, and so far only a bad battery from it sitting for a year while deployed.

But, I've begun my venture into Tinkerville (self-imposed) and have decided to take up with the old motto - If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
just get a extended warrenty on it.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
your brakes will warp eventually, thats another problem. if you got the leak once, you proyl get it again. I got it twice. I just got rid of my alero, got me a altima instead.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
2002rubyalero

Any car with disc brakes will warp if you're hard enough on them. I haven't even had and brake problems on mine as far as warping with over 100k miles on it.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
dt_freak1

had 70K Miles on my 3400 V6 01 Alero coupe when Intake Gasket went buhbye. thanks to my extended warranty i only dropped $100 and poor Tri-Ford here got nailed for $1,500. HAHA they got OWNED! and YES i rescued my Alero from a Ford dealership, it was a tradein and was decent and i needed a different car cuz my Saturn coupe was a big POS!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
hpt_playboi_03
V.I.P. Member

hpt_playboi_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to hpt_playboi_03
i would trade it. if i didn't have a second vehicle i would get rid of mine. they are nice cars, but i've noticed that they all have the same stupid problems at least twice.
hpt_playboi_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
King Asoka
V.I.P. Member

King Asoka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to King Asoka Send a message via MSN to King Asoka
Ok, If this is your onlu option then keep it, But I highly reconmend that you get out of the domestic car market, get a honda!

I know Im going ot get flamed for that, but unless you want the headaches that come with the Alero, headgasket, brakes, window regulators, fuel pumps, water pumps, the list goes on.

Ive replaced most of the major parts on my 2000, and I thikn all thats left to come is the window regulators.

If you want a car that will give you less problems, then get an import, not just any, Honda civic, accord, Toyota corrloa, Nissan Maxima, Altima, Subaru legacy. any of these made in the last 5-7 years.

Dont get me wrong I love my olds and I dont plan on ever selling it, but If you want fewer potential problems get an import.

just my 1298724398524757 cents
Old 02-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Jan 22 2006, 09:50 AM
But, I've begun my venture into Tinkerville (self-imposed) and have decided to take up with the old motto - If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
haha yep. mine was fine til i starting modding the engine.....stupid manifolds.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
natedawg9640
V.I.P. Member

natedawg9640 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to natedawg9640
i dont get it... mabye i got lucky... the ONLY problem i've had with mine is that the abs sensors died... the bearings aren't even bad... i replaced brake pads but who doesn't... i have the 2.4 though... but i have 115000 on it and it runs like a champ

WEBSITE is up! www.rebadgedesign.com
natedawg9640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
burg03

Well I have 60k on mine and no problems yet.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
its hit and miss for sure. im at 81K and only problem ive ever had with my car is the lower intake gasket which is common on all 3400 v6's no matter what vechical its found it.

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #14
brgnshpr1

Well, after much deliberating, I got rid of my beloved Alero last week. Man, I loved that car! But, after coming out of work and noticing a puddle of anti-freeze under it, I knew it was time for our love affair to end...

And I ended up with another American made vehicle...a new Chevy Malibu LT. God Bless America!

I really appreciate all of the comments, though. It does appear to be hit and miss with these cars. Unfortunately mine was one of the bad ones...just like its owner!!!!