Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
A little change

XR1 3x5x15

for a resonator? oh, ya
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't that the drag car? I don't understand why you have anything but a straight through exhaust on it
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Isn't that the drag car? I don't understand why you have anything but a straight through exhaust on it

lol, after everybody was bitching about the raspy sound, and I had to agree I didn't like it either, I decided to start working on the sound quality. And the looks as well. I have some high goals for this exhaust, but going step by step.

Besides, the ad said "flowed more than a straight pipe on the dyno"

They wouldn't lie to me would they?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
They wouldn't lie to me would they?

No, why would a company do that?

Did it change sound at all?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
No, why would a company do that?

Did it change sound at all?

Yeah, as soon as the guy drove it off the lift, I could tell it was quieter. I made sound level meter checks before and after, and 2 feet in back of the tailpipe it measured about the same, 110db. That's still loud. But the "loudness" in the midrange and interior drone subjectively was much lower. At certain lower rpms, 1200-1800 and under load it still spiked up past 100db, though still "sounded" quieter.

Before, I could hear the raspy stuff with the windows down at WOT, now I don't hear it, its more like an air rushing sound. I have to get a recording from outside the car to really tell what it's doing now. There still might be some rasp directed to the rear of the car.

And of course this is still with the Magnaflow muffler installed on the tail end of the pipe. I'm guessing it would be stupid loud if I take that off, and a little better flow for the track than I had before. We will see.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
You should just do a cutout and a stock exhaust lol
Old 06-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Yeah, as soon as the guy drove it off the lift, I could tell it was quieter. I made sound level meter checks before and after, and 2 feet in back of the tailpipe it measured about the same, 110db. That's still loud. But the "loudness" in the midrange and interior drone subjectively was much lower. At certain lower rpms, 1200-1800 and under load it still spiked up past 100db, though still "sounded" quieter.

Before, I could hear the raspy stuff with the windows down at WOT, now I don't hear it, its more like an air rushing sound. I have to get a recording from outside the car to really tell what it's doing now. There still might be some rasp directed to the rear of the car.

And of course this is still with the Magnaflow muffler installed on the tail end of the pipe. I'm guessing it would be stupid loud if I take that off, and a little better flow for the track than I had before. We will see.

Loud is always nice but to each his own, what muffler you running?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Loud is always nice but to each his own, what muffler you running?

Right now this is what's on it -

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11202

That is the next area I will try to upgrade or change, piping or muffler or both

Last edited by AleroB888 : 06-28-2013 at 12:16 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
sleepyalero
GLS member

Change it to a flowmaster. Would probably be throatier.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Nice!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Interesting.

Louder isn't always better. I saw a 92 loud civic getting spanked by a 89 Volvo, non turbo, wagon back in 2002. It was pretty funny and one slow ass race

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
Revhappy
GX Member

Revhappy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
Interesting.

Louder isn't always better. I saw a 92 loud civic getting spanked by a 89 Volvo, non turbo, wagon back in 2002. It was pretty funny and one slow ass race

Reading this just made my day...er evening, haha

Bronze Mist 01', 2.4L w/WAI, F+R strut tower bar, 20% Tint, Upgraded 16" factory aluminum rims, Crossed drilled rotors on all 4 corners, chrome muffler tips and 3000K HID fogs.
Revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
AleroB888
GLS member

Here's how it sounds after driving over 30 miles on a warm day, hot start. Sorry about the wind noise, but I wanted the sound out in an open space. So, for the record, we have TOG headers > custom downpipe by Hanksville in CO > 3" Magnaflow CAT > 3x5x15 Borla XR1 round case > Magnaflow 14828 3" oval muffler/tip. That's about as straight-thru as it gets with a full exhaust. Louder with a cold start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzjD3W01LoM
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
sleepyalero
GLS member

Not terrible.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
I was waiting for you to back up over the camera...haha!

Why does your car have an off/on switch on the bumper? Never seen anything like that before. I'm not too crazy about the new sound but everyone has different likes which is what makes the world go round.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

All I hear is screamin!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #17
AleroB888
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I was waiting for you to back up over the camera...haha!

Why does your car have an off/on switch on the bumper? Never seen anything like that before. I'm not too crazy about the new sound but everyone has different likes which is what makes the world go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
All I hear is screamin!

If it makes you feel any better, I did scuff a tire backing into the curb lol

the out-takes have been edited and saved for laughs later on

Yeah, I totally forgot that the vid should be shot from behind to detect any
metallic tin-can nasty sounds like I heard before. I'm getting none of that now. Then again, I'm not using the ultimate microphones, either -- not bad, but not the best. But the sound is finally something I can live with, and certainly a good starting point. I don't think you'll hear a better rumble out of a 3400, unless it's cammed.
here's some more :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCaY2...ature=youtu.be

If you have a straight-through system, the basic character of the sound should stay the same, if the distance from DP to TP is not changed. A baffled muffler like a Flowmaster changes the character of the sound, but also the effective distance from downpipe, and engine tuning.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

Sounds very mellow like mine. I love it
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
sounds good.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote