Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 01-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Junked the Alero

Got hot and shut down on me while driving home. Overflow was gurgling and steaming. I got pushed home (1 block from home, go figure) got it in the garage, dumped the oil & coolant.. yummy milkshake.

I didn't want to f--k with it anymore so I junked it for 400 bucks (still started and drove after it cooled down) and got a 04 Grand Prix GT (which a week after getting, the transmission started going into limp mode randomly... so returned that, and decided to get something a little better on gas (very hard decision.. LOVED that grand prix.. first GP I ever drove).... anyway.. I got a 2002 5 speed Saturn SL2 DOHC. Sunroof, wing, alloys, all the goodies. It gets fantastic gas mileage and drives great. 105k miles. But come tax returns, going to find a decent 04+ grand prix gtp comp g with the supercharger/paddle shifters/dual climate/leather.. all that good stuff... I'm totally spoiled now after having the GT. Grand Prix's rock my socks.

2001 GL V6 - Nov 2009 (218k) to Dec 10 (237k)

It was quite reliable, but the LIMG along with other minor (but multiple) things.. a new car was destined.

I'll still pop in from time to time here, but my new home is on the saturn forums

miles as of 04/23/10

Last edited by Runaboveit : 01-21-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
comanche
V.I.P. Member

comanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Bummer.

Well, kinda late now, I guess.

You can't go wrong with a Saturn, it'll take good care of you just as long as you top your oil off frequently.
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
ya the gtp is a great car glad u found a car u are happy and u will save a lot of money on gas.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post
Bummer.

Well, kinda late now, I guess.

You can't go wrong with a Saturn, it'll take good care of you just as long as you top your oil off frequently.

QFT! my '97 SL1 burned a quart a week...
Old 01-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
comanche
V.I.P. Member

I have had a few Saturns, and I like 'em.
Reliable and easy to fix. It's highly recommended that the timing chain and tensioner get changed on time though! A common problem.
A used DOHC engine costs three times as much as an SOHC engine.
My worst Saturn (brother bought it on eBay) burned (literally, I am not kidding you) a lot of oil..... 100 miles per quart!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Pics?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
So sad...

Gtp comp G's are tight but when you get on the gas the supercharger will eat gas. From what I hear gas gonna be 5$ a gallon in like June here. Yippie....
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
poor alero, you could have put in a new motor and been way farther ahead.....
Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
jhubbz
⌘ Irish Pride

jhubbz is on a distinguished road
Yea be careful w that Saturn. My gf had a Saturn before her g6 and that thing ate oil like nobodies business. The trans went out multiple times and eventually junked it after it wouldn't do anything at all. They're nice cars if you take care of em tho. Definitely nice on the gas mileage!
jhubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
I bought a saturn a few years back for $300 that needed an engine. It was VERY hard to find one... Ended up buying one thru craigslist for $225. The damn think burned oil like a mofo to the point the gas I saved was used in oil!

Few things I know about Saturn's.

The piston rings stick causing excessive oil burning. use Marvel mystery oil to free them up.

The Timing chains are a MOFO. If you dont keep and eye and change as needed your motor will explode...

The doors never rust but the damned door jambs do and badly!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
comanche
V.I.P. Member

^ truth

The actual problem with the pistons is just like you say... the oil rings stick.
Saturn designed the pistons without oil relief holes.
It is possible to drill these holes if you rebuild the engine.
Rumor has it that a freshly new rebuilt Saturn engine will not ever burn oil as long as you use quality full synthetic oil.

Definitely visit www.saturnfans.com for tons of great info.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
hotrodwolf
GX Member

hotrodwolf is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the oil problems got so bad that a few aftermarket companies make new rings for the dohc engine at least. Our 01 sc2 used about a quart every 500 miles or so. Wife ran the first motor out, so the new one was checked regularly.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
And this was the brand that GM axed Oldsmobile for

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
JoshGentry
GL Member

JoshGentry is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is this in the showcase section?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #15
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
So sad...

From what I hear gas gonna be 5$ a gallon in like June here. Yippie....

Which doesn't make sense to me. I mean the oil czar is out of Washington. but it's not like this guy is doing anything to fix the country. Granted it took 8 years to eff it up, but after 2 years, we should see some progress

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #16
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I hope so don't want to be spending 5 a gallon lol
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM   #17
03Sleepr
Premier V.I.P. Member

03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute03Sleepr has a reputation beyond repute
I don't even want to be spending $3 a gallon like I am, 5 wouldn't leave much project money..if gas jumped to 5 bucks a gallon I have a feeling my truck would get retired for a while..
03Sleepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #18
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

My mistake, it's actually a SOHC, not DOHC. 1.9 SOHC

The first day I checked out the saturn I came home first and googled the hell out of it. Researched year to year changes, motor types, common issues, owner reviews, clutch prices, etc. Mine was an 02, the last year saturn did the sl's so it had the latest engine revisions so thats good. I did a seafoam and mystery oil piston soak per the saturnforums member recomendations, and I have been running synthetic mobil 1 5w30. Running like a champ so far. It's really hard to tell the engine is running from outside at idle; pretty quiet. The stereo sounds really good (stock cd/radio deck), has a nice clear tone but with a good thump to it. Unexpected for my ideas of what a saturn would be like. Have put over a thousand miles on it so far. Oil level hasn't budged, and my coolant is still green and smells like coolant. I'm happy lol..

miles as of 04/23/10
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
comanche
V.I.P. Member

Good for you!
Keep an eye on the top of the alternator.
The back of the SOHC head likes to lift up right by the oil pressure line at that corner of the head, and oil will sometimes leak out and stain the alternator.
Not to be confused with the common problem of oil leaking from the valve cover gasket.
Oh, and the radiators like to crack the side tank right by the upper rad hose on the driver's side of the vehicle....
But yes... the SOHC with manual trans is a good engine, better on fuel and much cheaper to replace. I've gotten 40-43 highway mpg when "driving like a Prius" and 32 mpg when driving 80.
Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Got two Saturn'S, Blue 99 Sl, 180K Dumped the oil on the highway and sent a rod into orbit, waiting for a heart transplant, and a 99 SL2 with 291K miles, original everything, and runs amazing, CHECK YOUR OIL EVERY DAY!!!!