Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
EFI & A/C Repair question

Having some intermittent acceleration issues with the Alero so I brought it to a nearby shop to be checked out. My regular shop is closed this week because the owner's daughter is getting married. Anywho...

I was told that my EFI Induction Tubing is starting to degrade (the car does have almost 80K miles on her now) and needs to be "resleeved". He also suggested I get the A/C Modulator replaced because it's causing unnecessary drags on the motor when it "recycles prematurely". Total cost for both: $480 (approx.).

My question is, does this sound like a fair price for both? I'm not sure what this work entails because my older cars didn't have these parts.

Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Monza
GX Member

Monza is on a distinguished road
I haven't heard everything, but I've never heard of those things.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Sounds like you're trying to be had.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
Having some intermittent acceleration issues with the Alero so I brought it to a nearby shop to be checked out. My regular shop is closed this week because the owner's daughter is getting married. Anywho...

I was told that my EFI Induction Tubing is starting to degrade (the car does have almost 80K miles on her now) and needs to be "resleeved". He also suggested I get the A/C Modulator replaced because it's causing unnecessary drags on the motor when it "recycles prematurely". Total cost for both: $480 (approx.).

My question is, does this sound like a fair price for both? I'm not sure what this work entails because my older cars didn't have these parts.

I think a second opinion is warranted....

Then go back and tell the guy what else he can resleeve...
Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
Runaboveit
GX Member

Runaboveit is on a distinguished road
That doesn't make sense. Our cars have no such part. That is simply "fancy" words thrown together to confuse people. And 80k is actually not that high lol considering I have almost 3 times that many miles on my alero

But yes, please take it somewhere else for another opinion. Don't tell the new shop what the other shop said. Act like you are going there first and play dumb. See what -they- say is wrong. Don't fall for the "if you get the work done right now, you don't have to pay the diagnostic fee". They are trying to get you to cave and just agree to what they say is wrong and they overcharge you, while at the same time you think you are getting a deal because you aren't paying a diagnostic fee. But have some faith, there are good shops/people out there. Just gotta find them. Get more opinions.

By chance do you have a check engine light on? If so you can have it scanned for free at autozone or the like. Then come back and tell us the code that autozone said it had.

You could simply have spark plugs that need replaced as well. Especially if they are the originals with 80k miles on them. I believe the plugs used from the factory were platinum which on average claim a useful lifespan of 100k miles. But it's not like suddenly at 100k miles they go bad. Depending on the conditions your car has been driven, they may be ready for a swap. Especially if you don't have a check engine light.

miles as of 04/23/10

Last edited by Runaboveit : 08-01-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Runaboveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Guys,

Thank you for your opinions and replies. There were some great pieces of advice posted up.

However, apart from some shopping cart dings and my clear coat peeling off the spoiler & back bumper, there's nothing really wrong with the car.

If you'll go back to my post you'll notice the little smiley face at the bottom between my post and my sig section. I was kidding when I wrote up that diagnosis. I was a little bored and tried to see if I could come up with something that sounded realistic, if not actually legitimate, just to gauge what kind of responses this post would get.

The one thing Aleromod prides itself on is the helpfullness of its fellow members. In the past even ligitimate requests were sometimes met with derision, but with the responses I got here it's hopefully a sign that those days are long gone. It's great to see that any request for help (no matter how ridiculous the "scenario" might be) is now approached with sincerety by the rest of the community.

Thanks!

[...This has been a test of the Emergency Aleromod Broadcast System. This is only a test. Had this been a real emergency, I would have run out of here screaming like a little girl...]
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Runaboveit
GX Member

haha, good one. I thought that smiley was part of your signature since you tricked us with the same length little _________ line spacer thing

I just know the whole country is being hit hard by the recession including myself, and I would hate to see somebody get ripped off like that. So if there is anything I can do to prevent it, I'll try.

Your high post count did have me suspicious... you should know better lol.

miles as of 04/23/10
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
"resleeved"? Really?

That sounds like a load of shit to me.

Def go to a another place and get a second look

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Runaboveit
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
"resleeved"? Really?

That sounds like a load of shit to me.

Def go to a another place and get a second look

Read the thread

edit: oh wait.. I see a wink... are you trying to be clever too. Ah, my brain. lol

miles as of 04/23/10
Old 08-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaboveit View Post
Read the thread

edit: oh wait.. I see a wink... are you trying to be clever too. Ah, my brain. lol
Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Monza
GX Member

Monza is on a distinguished road
For God's sake Al. I used brain power that I'll never get back.
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote