Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #21
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashdollar2009 View Post
It's a joke, ignore. lol

I figured as much...but i could not create a phrase out of the acronym...
Fuzzyspudkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #22
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
TCCS, mine used to do it, but i installed an external tranny cooler. no more issues
Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #23
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
Ryan, my car has been doing the same thing forever as well and nobody ever seems to understand. by any chance does it do it less when the car is cold compared to hot?

Not really. Its very hard to describe. Its not always doing it... But when it does it I know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
TCCS, mine used to do it, but i installed an external tranny cooler. no more issues

A tccs? Whats that?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Not really. Its very hard to describe. Its not always doing it... But when it does it I know it.

A tccs? Whats that?
Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. Just install a small Aftermarket trans cooler. will be fine afterwards. And change the fluid again.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #25
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Thats what locks the torque converter solid so theres no slippage?

This could explain my poor gas mileage...

Also, When I used to work 50 miles away I would cruise the freeway at 65-70 MPH. I noted my RPM's. Now I notice to achieve those speeds my RPMs are higher...

I might just replace this thing and see if theres any difference.

If anyone out there with the 3400 can set cruise control at 60 MPH let me know your RPM once in overdrive.

I want to compare and test this idea.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #26
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
In reference to one the automotive challenges from the off topic section, check your brake light switch as well.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #27
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thats what locks the torque converter solid so theres no slippage?

This could explain my poor gas mileage...

It certainly would explain everything. A bad electrical connection to this solenoid or a flaky solenoid would cause these symptoms.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

my RPM's in cruise, at 60 are about 1550.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #29
zzyzzx
GLS member

Ripped off from a webpage:

Most late-model automatics have some type of lockup torque converter to improve fuel economy. If the lockup fails to engage, there will be some slippage and fuel economy will drop. Causes here include a bad lockup solenoid, incorrect sensor input information to the transmission controller or PCM (typically a speed sensor) and hydraulic control problems. If the lockup fails to release, the engine may shudder and die when coming to a stop. Causes here include a faulty lockup solenoid, a sticking lockup valve, grounded lockup solenoid wiring or a missing lockup solenoid spacer plate screen.

But another thought had occured to me is that if your lockup converter is not locking up as it is supposed to, you could easily have burnt transmission fluid. This is not as bad as it sounds because if you catch it in time and fix the problem you don't have to rebuild the transmission. Burnt transmission fluid will be obvious because of it's exceptionally foul smell.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #30
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. Just install a small Aftermarket trans cooler. will be fine afterwards. And change the fluid again.

So you want them to treat the symptom instead of solving the problem?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #31
zzyzzx
GLS member

Seriously, some sort of valve body problem is probably easier to do than a LIM job. I honestly don't understand why many people who would go ahead and do a LIM or head gasket job, would just throw up their arms like a Frenchman if their transmission has some sort of a problem, as if they are helpless or like being bent over by a transmission shop.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
So you want them to treat the symptom instead of solving the problem?

that IS the problem!!! the trans is running too hot!

remove the heat, and you get thicker, better fluid, and the lockup will function properly...
Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #33
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
that IS the problem!!! the trans is running too hot!

remove the heat, and you get thicker, better fluid, and the lockup will function properly...

The trans could be running hot because the torque converter solenoid is defective. Solving the problem removes the heat, AND improves gas mileage. Adding a cooler does not.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #34
zzyzzx
GLS member

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7161250AA66BYo

From Yahoo Answers:
a few weeks ago i posted a question about my enging rpm's racing on my truck but i am still having trouble and looking for a solution. to recap i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 4X4 automatic 5.2. problem i have is when i am on the highway doing a steady speed, the rpm's race up a few notches for about 2-4 seconds and then back down to where they were, and a few seconds later does it again. it doesnt do it in the city or stop and go. only steady highway speed. someone suggested a new throttle position sensor which i did replace but still have the same problem. the speed or nothing else changes, just the rpm's. what could be causing this or how can i fix this?
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
why hasn't anyone mentioned the Torque Converter.

This is a symptom of a torque converter lockup solenoid going bad, or the torque converter itself. The only way this can be diagnosed is to have a transmission shop hook up a scan tool, and watch the live data of the solenoid duty cycle, while monitoring the input RPM vs. Engine RPM and the calculated slippage percentage.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
zzyzzx
GLS member

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.com/tag/solenoid

Read in the Torque Converter Lockup. section:
Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #36
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

I had to replace one when it locked up solid on my old Beretta.

I will check my RPMs tonight on the way home compared to Nates. If my RPM is higher then I will replace the solenoid.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #37
Fuzzyspudkiss
GX Member

Fuzzyspudkiss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
my RPM's in cruise, at 60 are about 1550.

Seriously? My RPMs are 1900 at cruise going 60 mph
Fuzzyspudkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #38
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I had to replace one when it locked up solid on my old Beretta.

I will check my RPMs tonight on the way home compared to Nates. If my RPM is higher then I will replace the solenoid.

I would do more testing than just that. At the very lest look at the electrical connections and get an ohms reading on the solenoid.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 05-25-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #39
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

At 65 MPH mine used to be 1875

70 it was 2000 I believe.

Nate check it.

I betcha this solenoid is my issue...

bastard solenoid! At least its easy to replace- 1/2 hour job or so.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #40
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Pics of speeds and RPMs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6460.jpg (38.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6461.jpg (41.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6464.jpg (32.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6468.jpg (33.7 KB, 42 views)