Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

zoL is on a distinguished road
Engine died...

What are my options? How much can I get an engine? Is there a better engine that can fit right on in? What else will I need? PCM or some shit? I think junking it is pretty shitty idea since I want to keep it, and I'd get shit for it. Or am I being insane and should I get rid of it? This is the only problem I've had. I haven't been dumping money into it for maintenance. I'm thinking a student loan will solve my problem. eff.

"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers ... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." - Frank I. Cobb
zoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
gtp motor will fit in it
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
gotta get the right year engine though ive seen it done... and its a pretty snug fit
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
what died in the motor?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
what died in the motor?

Something about a piston something.

"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers ... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." - Frank I. Cobb
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
gtp motor will fit in it

stupid idea....

www.car-part.com

should be able to pick up a decent motor for $400-$700..........

it's a fairly easy weekend swap with a friend and a couple cases...
Old 08-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
stupid idea....

www.car-part.com

it was just a thought..
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoL View Post
stop letting nate near your car.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
www.howstuffworks.com

Nate's swapped his engine before just have him do it lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
www.howstuffworks.com

Nate's swapped his engine before just have him do it lol

lol'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
stupid idea....

www.car-part.com

I don't post out of off-topic for a reason. I don't know shit about cars, believe me. If I tried to do it, the only thing I'd be swapping is a new pair of boxers.

Thank you for that site. I've seen it before and never really put it to use until now, but it does exactly what I need. Thank you again.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
gtp motor will fit in it

i had that idea then realized its more hassle then its worth

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
lol'd

I don't post out of off-topic for a reason. I don't know shit about cars, believe me. If I tried to do it, the only thing I'd be swapping is a new pair of boxers.

Thank you for that site. I've seen it before and never really put it to use until now, but it does exactly what I need. Thank you again.

couple wire harnesses, handful of bolts. its easier then you'd think... your just too easily intimidated by mechanical equipment
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Alerojester
GL Member

List needed to change an engine: cherry picker, floor jack, jack stands, tape so if you want you can label where you got things from, and all the wrenches/sockets you'll need, a couple of buddies, some beer and a few hours.

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Old 08-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
cherrington17
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerojester View Post
List needed to change an engine: cherry picker, floor jack, jack stands, tape so if you want you can label where you got things from, and all the wrenches/sockets you'll need, a couple of buddies, some beer and a few hours.

and one buddy out of a bunch, who has done it before..... to direct traffic.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
Alerojester
GL Member

sorry cherry i forgot about the one who has done this before

Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
wrestlingandrunning
GL Member

wrestlingandrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
couple wire harnesses, handful of bolts. its easier then you'd think... your just too easily intimidated by mechanical equipment

truth
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
Caboose73
GX Member

Caboose73 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Caboose73
If you cant do it yourself just sell the shell cause its going to cost a fortune to have a shop do it.
Caboose73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
take it to a local trade school. let students work on it. the labors free.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #19
zoL
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose73 View Post
If you cant do it yourself just sell the shell cause its going to cost a fortune to have a shop do it.

I hear that, but if I can get an '04 or '05 engine from a Grand Am or w/e with low miles for about a grand or cheaper and then have a shop do it for a grand. I really don't see the trade in value being vastly different as it's already pretty shit. I understand that it won't balance out putting 2k into the car if I were to trade it in at a later time. I think this way would be the cheapest short term solution for me to get me through the next few years until I start making bank.

Also, would the '05 engine from a Grand Am/Impala go in fine? Would they need to do some PCM shit or something or would it be just a plug and play type of thing? I would rather buy the engine and have someone install it than have a shop buy the engine and throw their little markup on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heineck View Post
take it to a local trade school. let students work on it. the labors free.

I think enough kids have worked on my car for a lifetime.

Quote:

You're very correct sir. I'll get the balls someday, but I want to be financially sound before I start experimenting on cars like I did VCR's.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If you swap in a 3400 motor up to '05 I don't think you'll need to have anything reprogramed with the PCM. If the cam is different, which I doubt, that it where you'll have the problems (or if you have Cali emissions and the new motor doesn't or vice versa)

The difference in the GA and the Alero was the tranny gears.

If you're going to pull one motor and drop in another, you should be fine, the only problem I see is hooking up the tranny to the block

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote