Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
VHT Niteshades?

Ok, noob here , recently bought a can of vht niteshades, but it turns out tinting tails is illegal here in Vermont, go figure. So the question is where the hell do I use this now, at this point i'm open to all suggestions haha just looking to get this paint outta my back seat
Ttop191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
it shouldnt be illegal anywhere as long as light shows through..
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Shading or covering your taillights is illegal everywhere.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Ttop191
GLS member

yea, work, that was my opinion, although the state police and DMV seem to think otherwise

Last edited by Ttop191 : 10-19-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Ttop191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worknprog.99 View Post
no its not illegal. its illegal if light DOES NOT shine through... i got pulled over durring the day for my windows, and he said nothing about the tails cause he could clearly see light through.....

Light has to show through in both directions, not just outwards. When your car is parked on the side of the road the lenses need to reflect light back to moving traffic.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
worknprog.99
GLS member

no its not illegal. its illegal if light DOES NOT shine through... i got pulled over durring the day for my windows, and he said nothing about the tails cause he could clearly see light through.....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
worknprog.99
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
Light has to show through in both directions, not just outwards. When your car is parked on the side of the road the lenses need to reflect light back to moving traffic.

believe it or not they do with night shades , casue mine have 12 thin coats and you can see through
Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
So you're trying to say with covers on your reflectors still work? Interesting.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
worknprog.99
GLS member

no not covers. im talking the nightshades tint spray... if you look at my car in the sun or with light behind me at night (such as headlights) and you can see the red...
Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
Ttop191
GLS member

so does anybody have an idea of what to do with this stuff now, i've dropped the tail light idea, just wondering if there are any other applications where this stuff could be used
Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #11
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
on my old interior setup I tinted my gauge bezel to match the blacked out dash, then back lit the bezel. It looks cool but can be hard to see the gauges in high light conditions
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Did you keep the receipt?

Take it back to the store

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Ttop191
GLS member

sounds like it'd be to dark to see the gauges, do you have any pics?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Ttop191
GLS member

and i have everything, the people up here just lick to be pricks haha

srry double post
Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
Welp, I have tinted tail lights, and I know for a fact it's technically illegal here in MN to have tinted lenses...there's supposed to be red light or red reflector coming from the rear of the car...luckily for me I'm fairly good friends with most of the police department in the city I work in, so I decided to get a poll from like 6 different cops, and here was the verdict...Basically it's illegal, yes, but if you're driving with your lights on, there's red coming from the tail, so no big deal...there's plenty of other cars out there that look like they have dark tails due to the way they were manufactured, and if you don't go too dark, our Alero won't look much darker at a glance. However, the State Patrol may feel differently and that's the risk we take, but a city cop probably won't bother you as long as there isn't anything else you're doing that annoys him...like not using signals, or loud bass. I've had my tinted tail lights on for a while now, and I've had a couple of police officers get up nice and close to my rear end...even a state trooper, but none of them bothered with me....they just kept on going. I help myself out though by making sure I drive with my lights on during the day. I disabled the DRL's and roll around with just the parks on. That way there's red light in the rear, and some pretty silverstar ambers in the front all the time. I also did not tint the 3rd brake light, so that way when I stop at an intersection, there is absolutely no way the idiot behind me doesn't know I'm stopping...If you get rear ended and your tails are all blacked out, I can pretty much promise that the other driver is gonna try real hard to make it your fault...and they could win.
This thread probably awakend the Cherrington beast...any moment he's gonna come down here and scold us for doing illegal mods to our cars, and tell us we deserve to get pulled over and punished for breaking the law...I mean...it's Cherrington...it's what he does...he is the yin to the yang that keeps this all in balance...but don't let his wisdom drag you down...do what you want to your car, but try to be smart about it...don't make it easy for them to pull you over. If you're uncomfortable with the mod while you're driving, then it's probably something that should get changed.
I personally like my tinted tails, but if it becomes a problem I will just buy a new set of cores and move on.
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServO View Post
However, the State Patrol may feel differently and that's the risk we take, but a city cop probably won't bother you as long as there isn't anything else you're doing that annoys him.

And that is a big part of it. That 94-694 interchange is always crawling with stateys, I got 2 tickets in one month on 694 for 5-10 over and a neighbor I knew got stopped 3 times over a couple months on 94 for tinted taillight covers and had to remove them. Then again I used to set the cruise at 99 on the 100 and never got stopped. Bottom line is if you drive on freeways that have alot of state troopers regularly, you better be sure to be legal. Otherwise you can take your chances but be prepared to face the consequences.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
Ttop191
GLS member

yea, due to the run-ins i've had with cops lately tinted tails is honestly outta the question, now i'm just looking for another project to use the can of niteshades for
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #18
dragon8807
GL Member

dragon8807 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dragon8807
the last time i got pulled over, the cop didn't give me shit for my tinted tails. they look dark as hell but the lights still shines through them well

05 impreza 2.5rs 5spd - current car
dragon8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
35% them, go like 6 thin coats, and clear them, will look fine
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
bkathsalero
GL Member

bkathsalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bkathsalero
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
And that is a big part of it. That 94-694 interchange is always crawling with stateys, I got 2 tickets in one month on 694 for 5-10 over and a neighbor I knew got stopped 3 times over a couple months on 94 for tinted taillight covers and had to remove them. Then again I used to set the cruise at 99 on the 100 and never got stopped. Bottom line is if you drive on freeways that have alot of state troopers regularly, you better be sure to be legal. Otherwise you can take your chances but be prepared to face the consequences.

When I first started driving at 16 with tinted tails... Like you say I got pulled over all the time buy the same cops over and over again... all state troopers. But being 16 and whipping shitties, and doing burnouts in broad view etc., etc., I also had a name for myself and a good sized sheet on the cops computer. But after learning how stupid that is and not getting a ticket for 2 years. I drive by the same cops and they don't give a crap about my tinted tails, like they use too..

What I'm trying to say is drive normal and they don't care to an extent... (that goes for MN at least)