Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy leaking steering

In lack of a appropriate section I'll post it here.

Despite some other problems the biggest one is my leaking steering.

Because its quite hard to get a good overview over possible solution if your Germany, I have to ask you.

What could be a good (low cost) remedy for this problem?
A temporary fix could be something like a radiator sealing liquid, is there something similar thats for rack & pinion steerings?

A re manufactured steering.
But what are high quality remans and how pricey are they?

Or getting a complete new one?
Benefits of a new one in comparison to a reman one?

And what parts (screws, bushings, lines, connectors) are going to be needed in addition if I decide to face a uninstalling of the steering?

Any recommendations?

Julian
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't call that "lack of an appropriate section", you did fine.

Ok, where's it leaking, at the pump, in one of the lines, or at the rack?

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
falloutboy
GL Member

sorry forgot to say.

At the rack, at the lowest point at the bottom. Atleast this is were i can see the oil.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
At the rack, at the lowest point at the bottom. Atleast this is were i can see the oil.

That is meaningless because it could easily be leaking someplace else and running/dripping down to the lowest point. You will have to clean the whole area really good, then run it while observing the first place where it leaks to be 100% positive of the leak location. Once you have completed this task, we can offer better advice.

In my experience, the high pressure hose is the most likely location, followed by a place where a hose joins something.

How many miles are on this car? We already know it is a 1999, but which engine?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
falloutboy
GL Member

Its been leaking for a while now, and the last time I really checked where it leaked, was at top of this "nut". The hoses and connections were clean.
But I'll check again, perhaps its leaking somewhere else now too.

Its the LA1 Engine with approx. 150 000 km on it.

I'll tell you if I know something new
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
You do know that in order to test the high pressure hose, you have to be watching the hose while turning the sterring wheel (with the car running).

You may need another person to turn the steering wheel while you watch the high pressure hose. If it is bad you can see it leaking. I have seen it squirt out only from the high pressure hose when the steering wheel is being turned.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
falloutboy
GL Member

Hi, got an update for you.

Washed the steering as clean as possible ... so its not as clean as a new one

The high pressure hose itself is greasy but its the same consistence of grease as on the automatic belt tensioner. And the greasy part starts after the first bracket down from the alternator. the wrapping is also quite greasy.

But the steering itself is greasy on the driver side. The boots had some minor dirt all around. And then the lower parts of the rack & pinion was drowned in oily greasy. All the fittings where clean - really clean all the time.

If someone can supply me with some drawings of the steering I can tell you which parts were greasy.

The problem now is. I cleaned it, as already said. Had the car running and my dad turned the steering wheel while the wheels were on the ground. The high pressure hose was pulsating every time the wheels were turned. But I didnt find anything that started to leak or get moisture. Had it kept running till it was getting to hot under the exhaust

I think I'll look at it in a few days after driving it and see if I find something new.

But still, these drawing would be highly appreciated.

Julian
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

Did you try all the available free online sources for a diagram?

I am still thinking that you could have a small leak in the high pressure hose that has not yet become and obvious stream.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
falloutboy
GL Member

what free online sources did you mean?

I think that too about the hose. Especially cause its expanding an incredible amount if the wheel is moved.
But before I order parts I have to know for sure what parts are broken and what parts (gaskets and so on) I need.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
what free online sources did you mean?

See if this still works:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19347
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
falloutboy
GL Member

yes it works. I use it quite often.
But I've never seen a good drawing, that by the ways shows where gaskets are and what Part numbers all the parts have.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
zzyzzx
GLS member

OK, so you have no factory service manual!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
zzyzzx
GLS member

The factory service manual (1999 N-platform volume 1 of 2) has power steering in Chapter 2. The detail pictures that show the rack just show the rack. The detail pictures of the pump show just the pump. There is no detail showing everything in one picture or the hoses.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
falloutboy
GL Member

I once had the GM service manual on CD. But after a few years the program wouldnt run anymore. some corrupted files. And reinstalling never worked. So right know I depend on my knowledge as a car mechanic and a Haynes manual.

For my 'maro theres a Shop Manual and a Body Manual. Is there something similar for the Alero?
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
zzyzzx
GLS member

Quote:
I once had the GM service manual on CD. But after a few years the program wouldnt run anymore. some corrupted files. And reinstalling never worked.

So you are saying that the CD is bad? Or you "upgraded" and operating system and your service manual on CD software does not work with it.

Quote:
For my 'maro theres a Shop Manual and a Body Manual. Is there something similar for the Alero?

"1999 N-platform volume 1 of 2", in other words, yes.

I would have taken digital camera pictures already but I am having trouble with my camera lately (always blurry pictures). I do not have a scanner.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
zzyzzx
GLS member

See attached files. if you PM me I can email them. I think the resolution will be better that way.

Last edited by zzyzzx : 06-06-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
falloutboy
GL Member

perfect thanks

But I never got an email that you posted here, or posted me a PM.
Damn crap ... but who cares.

About the CD. Yes the CD is somekind broken. If I'm trying to install it, it says that there a some corrupted files (cant remember which one). And even if I can install it (cause the error isnt occoring every time) it just wont start.
And I cant start the once working installation cause is says the files are damaged.

I think I need a new CD from somewhere, and perhaps a Tech II with Software

The after the weeks of driving, the steering is pretty clean - still.
I dont know whats going on.
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX