Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

GLS_Jeff is on a distinguished road
My Alero may be dead. Need Advice

Hey everyone I have a 2000 GLS with 86k miles and 3 weeks after buying the car came major overheating problems. After replacing the radiator, water pump, thermostat, coolant resivoir, and all hoses it was time to replace the head gasket. I stripped down the intakes and everything else right to the heads and then work got crazy so I decicded to hire a mechanic to finish it. The mechanic claims to know these engines very well and came today to pick up the car. When he came to pick itup he called and said there is oil residue in the intake and he believes its "blow by" which is oil leaking threw the piston rings and he said he will fix the car but he believes it's not worth fixing. I told him to leave the car for now till I consult my expert a.k.a. (you guys). So my question is, does this guy know what he is talking about? have any of you experienced oil residue in your intakes? And is it time to give up? I paid $2000 for this car and have over a grand into it. I really don't want to give up cause I do love this car, but three grand plus into it and I only drove the car like 600 miles. Thanks everyone
GLS_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
Sounds like you paid $2000 for a junker without taking it to a mech to get checked out.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

yeah it's starting to look like that. When I bought it everything was perfect. And with 86k miles I thought I was getting a deal. Looks like I got screwed instead. 600 miles and already replaced the rack/pinion and now this.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Shitty PCV valve can cause oil residue in the intakes can it not?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Ya know I asked another mechanic I know and he montioned the PCV valve. I will say that before it overheats the car runs completley perfect. No smoke at all out the exhaust and it doesn't burn any oil.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
oil residue is normal

relax

when you're blowing blue smoke, worry

your car is fine. i guess i should've taken pictures of my intake manifold and head for you to show how oily things can get and still be normal. lol
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Ya take your car to a different mechanic. Your car engine only has 86k miles. i had a similar problem with a mechanic when i got my headgaskets replaced in my first alero. That is why doing ur own work is the best if you can and have the time.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Thanks alot guys you never fail to put my mind at ease. This site rocks!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLw7123 View Post
Ya take your car to a different mechanic. Your car engine only has 86k miles. i had a similar problem with a mechanic when i got my headgaskets replaced in my first alero. That is why doing ur own work is the best if you can and have the time.

And I would not go back to that mechanic.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine looked that way at my 120,000 LIM job. It made 190,000 before other issues killed. Stop worrying.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
GLS_Jeff
GX Member

Car as at a new mechanic. He said it will be done by tuesday. I'll keep everyone updated with the results.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
have 'em do a compression test too just to know

i never have but i should
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
JLw7123
i speed up for corners

JLw7123 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JLw7123 Send a message via Yahoo to JLw7123 Send a message via Skype™ to JLw7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS_Jeff View Post
Car as at a new mechanic. He said it will be done by tuesday. I'll keep everyone updated with the results.

Glad you took it to another mechanic. What did he say about it. The car will feel a lot better after the headkgaskets are replaced.
1999 auburn mist metallic gls sedan R.I.P
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5i 190k. New rims and tires for summer.
JLw7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
when i bought my car with 129k on it it had bad head gaskets. customer traded it in becuase it was worth the money for a dealer to repair. i found 6 empty bottles of coolant in the trunk... i pulled it all part and found my headgaskets have rotten away around the coolant jackets. my intakes were a little oily but nothing i havnt seen before. put it all back together and its been running great for the past 6k. just a lil piston slap here and there