Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
fall is just around the corner

yeah fall is just around the corner and with it, comes the damn harsh cold winter months weather, DAMN! im sure gonna miss the warm weather for sure. So heres my problem. The damn kids that live in my house, that i 0ccasionally take the to the park and stuff like that, on my back seat tore the Sh@#%#%@T out of my defrost cable in the back window. They broke the metal thing/plate(dont know what to call it, sorry) that is stuck in the back window in half and i was wodering how could i fix it/ can it be fix diy or would i have to take it to some kind of special place like gms or glass replacement shop?

Last edited by zearchyo : 03-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
zearchyo
GL Member

okay and just before i get crap about not using search engine here in the forum, i did and yea i know theres a thread about it here in the forum. which i read when i first joined aleromod but my problem is a total different animal. thanks

Last edited by zearchyo : 08-25-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
You can probably just solder a male spade terminal onto the plate and it'll work just fine.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
zearchyo
GL Member

okay. do u know if its hard to take the metal plate off the window? if aint too hard i could probably get another defrost system, from the junkyard
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
My defrost has never worked since the day I bought the car. Anytime I get snow or ice, I just scrape until I get it off...
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavaliers60 View Post
My defrost has never worked since the day I bought the car. Anytime I get snow or ice, I just scrape until I get it off...
Yours is the original problem, theres a how to on site for that.

For the OP,
SUIAlero is talking about getting a spade wire connector and soldering it to the metal thats already on the glass. Since thats where the original was, and thats how it was mounted. You might need a high heat soldering gun, but that would be the proper way to do it.

To remove the metal from the glass... your probably going to end up breaking the glass.

You could also just cut the connector and solder the wire to the glass, but it wouldn't be removable then. So the first suggestion is best. Get a good soldering iron and go to town on it. When I did mine, I found putting a ceramic dinner plate upside down on the back deck (between the speakers) leaves you a good spot to put the hot iron when not in use, that won't burn anything or start fires. (and the plate won't be damaged, and you won't get solder on the food side)

also... i think that top one is the radio antenna.. not the defroster? I could be wrong.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
zearchyo
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
also... i think that top one is the radio antenna.. not the defroster? I could be wrong.

can any one back this up. if it is indeed the radio antenna I wont ever bother fixing it then. my defrost had stopped working before it got torn apart!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
zearchyo
GL Member

i also dont own a soldering gun
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
That is your anntenna wire. All the thinned spread lines on the top of the glass is for the anntenna, not the defrost.

To fix:

Yes do what SUI said and Cherry backed up. That is going to be the best way to fix it. See if you can solder the orginal clip back in place. Use a pair of needle nose pliers to try to remove the spade from inside the clip.

You could do Cherry's second suggestion, but I also agree with him on NOT to do that! Don't try to remove the thing from the glass, you WILL break the glass.

Don't have a soldering gun? Buy one and "electric" wire core for the solder. Put something over the back seat and be careful becasue that solder gets HOT!! Somewhere over the 1000*C mark

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
zearchyo
GL Member

okay nice, thanks every body
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
spc2125
GLS member

spc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond reputespc2125 has a reputation beyond repute
How The Heck Do You Put Down The Back Seats!!!!!!! !@#$%^&*
Check out my alero!
Aleromod Showcase Video
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
zearchyo
GL Member

go to into the trunk, and there should be two straps hanging down from were the rear speakers are mounted(forgot what the rear speaker cover thing is called) pull on them down and push the seats foward

yeah right!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
How The Heck Do You Put Down The Back Seats!!!!!!! !@#$%^&*

yes, pull the 2 black straps in the top of the trunk on the drivers side, then push them down from the trunk.
ya, sodering irons are cheap, id agree, just put that baby on there. and the couple of you that said the defrost doesn't work, redog has a how to posted for that, its a great fix. and yes if you try taking the metal of the glass it does break, my brother tried doing that on his car once... not good.
and dude, dont let them kids tear the crap out of your car anymore! i stopped giving a lot people rides because they would leave trash, spill stuff, and just disrespect everything in general.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote