Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 05-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
theirishpope
GX Member

theirishpope is on a distinguished road
Cam tower seal

Has anyone done a how to on the cam tower seals? I tried searching but couldn't find one. Is it as easy ad pulling the IDI cover, and taking out the bolts on the tower coversand swapping out the gasket?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7703691_repl...et-24l-gm.html

Last edited by theirishpope : 05-03-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Found info on a different site
theirishpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #2
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Bahlzeron is on a distinguished road
That ehow is wrong. Its a bit more complicated that that... if memory serves, you have to pull the timing cover as there is two bolts behind the cam timing gears that go into the cam covers.. but you don't need to pull fuel lines or the fuel rail

edit to add: There is two bolts per cover behind the cam timing gears, if you plan on doing a cam swap, now would be a good time to do it since you will already have it all apart, which is my plan.

Last edited by Bahlzeron : 05-04-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Bahlzeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #3
theirishpope
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahlzeron View Post
That ehow is wrong. Its a bit more complicated that that... if memory serves, you have to pull the timing cover as there is two bolts behind the cam timing gears that go into the cam covers.. but you don't need to pull fuel lines or the fuel rail

edit to add: There is two bolts per cover behind the cam timing gears, if you plan on doing a cam swap, now would be a good time to do it since you will already have it all apart, which is my plan.

Thanks for the heads up, been trying to get info on this for awhile and that was the best I could get.

I would assume to open that cover you have to drain out all the oil in the system correct?

Last edited by theirishpope : 05-05-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #4
theirishpope
GX Member

Found a blown out scetch of the side of the engine, also ion c2 posted a link on http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...light=Cam+swap that has an entire breakdown of the engine (just found now found the thread)
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2013-03-21_005918_timing_cover.gif (13.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by theirishpope : 05-05-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Yeah you'll want to drain the oil. Doing this job is a PITA, as you need to pull the front engine mount to get the timing cover off...just loosening the cover won't give enough room to get the cam gears off. Plan on roughly eight hours of work... six if you're really fast.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
theirishpope
GX Member

Do you have to pull the cam gears, timing chain, etc off for the bolts to the cam covers or can you get them out threw the wholes in the gear? If I have to take it all off then I might as well put in all new shit while I'm in there for preventative maintenance
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #7
Bahlzeron
GX Member

Yup, gotta pull off the cam timing gears.. good thinking to do timing set since it'll be all apart. Don't get an el cheapo timing kit.. spend the dough and get a Cloyes part # 90390S.. yes get the full kit including new gears, guides, and tensioner...old gears will chew up a new chain quickly and commonly the tensioner will fail before the chain. Make sure to read the instructions/warning included with the new tensioner. New tensioner comes in compressed state. AFTER chain, guides, etc. are installed you need to release the plunger (easy enough to do, just gotta press it in with a screwdriver and it will pop out) If you don't you will skip time.