Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
misslindseysue
GL Member

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:22 am Post subject: XM Radio for Christmas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overdrive75 offered to get me XM for Christmas. Do I want it? Does anyone else have it?

I spend a lot of time in my car, driving to work and everywhere else. I'm also moving to the Detroit area next spring for work, so I won't get to listen to my favorite station from here.

I've only listened to the demo stations, and most of them suck. Has anyone else heard the rest of them? Is there a good variety? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the $10/month I'll have to pay.

Also, has anyone installed one in an Alero? I have the stock headunit w/ CD and cassette, so I can use the cassette adapter. It seems like a bitch to run the antenna around the windshield and through the firewall, etc.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #2
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
Big Poppa Naich
Sombraro Pimp

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:47 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Sirius installed in my car and I love it. Installation is not hard. I have my antenna mounted in my car on the rear decklid. Silent has XM mounted the same way. It works pretty well, I only drop siginal when I am around tall objects or under a tunnel or something.

I would recomend getting a new head unit (you can get CD player with mp3 for like $150 installed at bestbuy) and then just plug in the XM tuner into the aux jack in the aftermarket HU. This will give you full digital sound. I have an old head unit, so for now I am using an FM modulator. That works well too, it still sounds 10x better than regular radio. Also, if you're getting XM, get the Delphi unit Skyfi or whatever it's called. That or the new one that is similar. I am going to upgrade to the Sirius Audiovox unit similar to the delphi one.

Also, if you have a friend with XM, you can add on your car as a family account and only pay $6/month.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Big Poppa Naich
Sombraro Pimp

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:49 am Post subject:

oh yeah, one more thing. If you mount the antenna outside the car, you don't need to run the wire through the firewall or anything like that. You use a credit card to create a small opening between the rear windshield and the molding, and slide the wires through there. You can then just run the wires through the trim by the doors on the floor.
2001 Ruby Red GLS -Soon to be SC/T- w/ 18" Eagle 077's, Intrax Drop, SLP Catback, APOC CAI, 3 10" MTX Subs, Sirius Radio, True HID Conversion, and more on the way! August 2003 partsforyourcar.com Alero of the Month!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

misslindseysue
GL Member

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:41 am Post subject:

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what unit it was he was going to get me, but he can get it for $99 through GM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Pellinore
GX Member

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:53 pm Post subject:

Terk also has antennas that you can mount on the rear window. You just have to line up the outside part with the inside part, this way you don't have to make and "holes" around the window.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Aleromaster
GX Member

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:22 pm Post subject:

I love it its all i listen to in the alero. I have the pionner direct conect unit with a deh 6500 deck and you can't beatit. I mounted the older style Terk roof mount ant on my roof and pained the dome to match my car. I can't go back to FM(although I have no choice in my work car ) GO FOR IT!!!!!!!
01 Suzuki gsxr 750
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Me persoanlly I have xm and luv it, might be alittle costly but theres nothing better than when your traveling and theres nothing on normal hick stations
Old 11-18-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
misslindseysue

Well, I like country music.

But thanks, we were trying to figure out where to mount it this weekend. I don't want to pay the extra $80 for the FM modulator, and I never use my tape deck anyway.

Thanks for my thread too.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:58 AM   #9
overdrive75

Some one brake it down for me, why go fm modulator if you are going to keep the factory head unit. I mean, I used my diskman with the tape adaptor in my old buick over the weekend, and the sound was CD quality, just as if it had a CD deck. I mean other than the fact of clean installation look, I don't see a difference in sound quality. If anything, when I used the CD changer in my truck (FM modulated) that sounded worse for interference than the tape adaptor in my car did.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #10
fiestyalerogirl81

hey I was thinking about buying that for my dad for christmas and his bday present as well. Is it possible to get two units for only 10 a month, like a family plan?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
havik

Yeah, but it's a discounted rate per unit ($6.99 per): XM Family plan
Old 11-20-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Both XM and Sirius will give you discounts.

I got all my hardware for free through the Sirius friends & family plan... I'm not sure if they started that up again.... but I paid for a full year of service in advance, and it cost me $120. Normally, Sirius is $12.99/month. I can also add on a family or friend for $6.99/month, but they will discount that for you as well if you pay for a full year. Check out siriusbackstage.com.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #13
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Free Sirius Streamer if you sign up for one year of Sirius
You also get a choice of:
Professional Vehicle Dock - SIR-STRVK1
Standard Vehicle Dock - SIR-STRVK1
Home Dock - SIR-STRHK1

Here is the Streamer

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServe...d=1066068010580

http://www.panaoem.com/oem/detailpro...?ProductID=355

Call 1-866-818-3277
Keep trying, if you get answering machine leave message or call back.
If asked for a password, its Friends of Sirius

I believe this ends December 20th.

HOT deal!

Sirius is going to boost their subs with this.. where is XM?

Sirius, It's ON!

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #14
fiestyalerogirl81

thanks!